Miles Davis: "Kind Of Blue"

RUSHHEAD666

Thanks to "Whiplash" I am going back to my Jazz remasters of Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

I'm playing "Kind Of Blue" right now as I type. Do you believe the hype?

Some say this is one of the greatest jazz records of ALL TIME!!!

Do you agree?

I think it's EPIC! Hell I love all of the Miles Davis Catalog. "Bitches Brew" is another all time classic.

I found a Japanese cd pressing today with no obi for 13 bucks. It's called "Miles In Tokyo." Tony Williams on drums.

It's AWESOME!!!

JAZZ RULES! It's an endless genre to explore.

I also found a reissue of Billy Cobham Live In 1992. It's called "Mirror's Image."

ENDLESS!

• Like 3

I shelled out for the big f**k off box sets of Blue and Bitches. 2 of the greatest records of all time. The Silent Way box is impressive too.

Did anyone buy the recent live boxsets? HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Kind of Blue hits me in the gut every listen.

• Like 1

killer. I like his electric stuff much more though, from in a silent way to around the mid 70s

Just what I was going to say, too. Kind of Blue is incredible (along those lines, I recommend the shows recorded at the Plugged Nickel in Chicago, December of '65- there was an official release some years ago, but it was a box set- not sure if there's a more compact set out now for that or not)...but yes, In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, On the Corner, Get Up With It...groundbreaking stuff.

• Like 1

Miles from 2nd classic quartet. The Seven steps Box is amazing as well. Not to mention the Plugged Nickel recordings.

There it is. ;) Just saw that, after I posted.

I'm more of a 'Trane guy. Love Favourite Things, Blue Train... I have Ascension but really, I'm probably 45 years too young to understand it... maybe once I'm outta puberty!

After watching Whiplash, I want to dig into Jo Jones. I never heard that guy.

Freddie freeloader may be the best cut here. Its my favorite at least. The changes are fun to play. No musicians may not reale how chorally complex some of this Miles stuff is. He has never been my favorite soloist (prefer post bop guys like Lee and Freddie)compositionally there are few that are better than Miles Man.

Simply one of the most important figures in musical history. Along with Coaltraine, they explored the boundaries

of Jazz, and in Miles case, took it into the electric world with remarkable results.

Surrounding himself with the best musicians available, Davis's live concerts were simply stunning.

Enjoy these brief highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm1IEM_Z-lw

• Like 1

killer. I like his electric stuff much more though, from in a silent way to around the mid 70s

Just what I was going to say, too. Kind of Blue is incredible (along those lines, I recommend the shows recorded at the Plugged Nickel in Chicago, December of '65- there was an official release some years ago, but it was a box set- not sure if there's a more compact set out now for that or not)...but yes, In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, On the Corner, Get Up With It...groundbreaking stuff.

thanks to this thread, I've listened to dark magus, panagea and agharta all day

• Like 2

Excellent- yeah, I was going to mention the live stuff, too. I don't think I've ever heard Agharta, but Dark Magus and Pangaea are some seriously spaced out, incredible records.

• Like 1

Excellent- yeah, I was going to mention the live stuff, too. I don't think I've ever heard Agharta, but Dark Magus and Pangaea are some seriously spaced out, incredible records.

agharta and pangaea are basically the same, so you'd love it. they were both recorded the same day, one of them was the afternoon concert and one of them is the evening concert. can't remember which is which.

dark magus is like...miles discovers black sabbath or some shit. crazy album

• Like 1

Damn you guys are way to cultured for me. I suck pretty bad it seems... :codger:
  • Like 1

agharta and pangaea are basically the same, so you'd love it. they were both recorded the same day, one of them was the afternoon concert and one of them is the evening concert. can't remember which is which.

Right on...yeah, like I said, spaced out, heavy, crazy stuff. I was working in a record store in 1993-'94, and the manager and I got to be friends because we liked a lot of the same stuff. He was about fifteen years older than I was. Anyway, he's the one who I got those albums from- on TDK analog cassettes. I still have them.

I vaguely remember that about Agharta, now that you mention it. But I still don't think I've heard it.

Ever heard Big Fun? I think it's from the same sessions that spawned Bitches Brew, but it's a totally different album. Only in print in Japan, even 20 years ago. I don't know if it's ever been released in the U.S. or UK/Europe more recently, either. Possible, but I don't know.

Damn you guys are way to cultured for me. I suck pretty bad it seems... :codger:

Nothin' to worry about, man.

Hey, I bought Sad Wings of Destiny just last week, due in large part to your influence. You and Your_Lion, and the thread that Earl started about it- I took the plunge. Love it. First Priest album I've ever owned.

You might like some of the heavy jazz-rock that Miles was putting out, in the time frame we've been talking about. It's really incredible, if you get into it.

• Like 3

Right on...yeah, like I said, spaced out, heavy, crazy stuff. I was working in a record store in 1993-'94, and the manager and I got to be friends because we liked a lot of the same stuff. He was about fifteen years older than I was. Anyway, he's the one who I got those albums from- on TDK analog cassettes. I still have them.

I vaguely remember that about Agharta, now that you mention it. But I still don't think I've heard it.

Ever heard Big Fun? I think it's from the same sessions that spawned Bitches Brew, but it's a totally different album. Only in print in Japan, even 20 years ago. I don't know if it's ever been released in the U.S. or UK/Europe more recently, either. Possible, but I don't know.

big fun sounds interesting, but nah. I've heard everything from that era that I'm aware of except big fun and get up with it. I'm sure I'd enjoy them both. especially if john mclaughlin's on big fun

cultured? haha, the period of miles I like most is probably closer to rock in my mind. and it's not too late to order a few CDs, or just pull up the man's work on youtube

• Like 1

Nothin' to worry about, man.

Hey, I bought Sad Wings of Destiny just last week, due in large part to your influence. You and Your_Lion, and the thread that Earl started about it- I took the plunge. Love it. First Priest album I've ever owned.

You might like some of the heavy jazz-rock that Miles was putting out, in the time frame we've been talking about. It's really incredible, if you get into it.

Awesome!! Tied for first with ATWAS for first album I ever bought. Incredible from start to finish in my view. Victim Of Changes is simply unbelievable and Halford at his best. Nicely done... :cheers:
  • Like 2

I dunno about you guys, but I like coltrane more than miles (even though I prefer miles' electric stuff to most of coltrane's stuff). if he'd live into the 70s, I think he could've put out some really really heavy music
  • Like 2

cultured? haha, the period of miles I like most is probably closer to rock in my mind. and it's not too late to order a few CDs, or just pull up the man's work on youtube

I always thought Miles was kind of "high brow" music sort of like Dylan. @ssholes (commoners)like me just don't "get it"...

Exactly.