My home computer almost dead, recommendations for a replacement?

Dread Pirate Robert

I have had my current home computer for about 8 years. It has held up well, especially considering the frequency with which I have spilled beer and wine all over it, all the cigarette smoke that has clogged it up, etc.

However, it is now acting in a way which makes me think it is going to die for good any day now.

The last time I even looked at the computer market was when I got this one, 8 years ago. (hell, my monitor is still the old big box bulky type one, and about half the letters on my keyboard are no longer legible). I have no idea what is out there these days for purchase in computerland.

So, any particular modern computers (medium to high end stuff, not cheap shit) that are especially good, especially reliable? Reliability is extremely important to me. My patience can be short with computers, and I have two axes in my yard that are yearning to smash a computer during a fit of rage/frustration by their wielder. I want something that runs smoothly with a minimal amount of hassle -- that includes installing the damned thing.

I am not a computer geek. In fact, I am quite ignorant about a lot of computer stuff. When I open that package and set it up, I want the damned thing to pretty much set itself up with no hassle at all for me. Having to scratch my head to get the damned thing to run properly is enough to make me see red and direct my thoughts to those hungry axes in my yard . . .

I want a desktop, since I detest lap tops on principle, and one that can handle anything from the heat of SOCN to watching music videos and movies to playing high end games with no problem whatsoever. (not that I am playing any such games atm, but, hey, one might come out that I suddenly drool over and say -- Me Get That Game, Now!)

Anyway, any helpful suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Closer to the Heart
  • Like 1

If your looking for something that will last get an Apple Mac. They're great and if you have the money if really recommend one to anyone. Dell (I've got a Dell laptop) or Acer are probably the next best brands I'd recommend, but an Apple Mac won't quit on you if you treat it well and is pretty easy to figure out our you can get Apple 1 on 1 or something like that to help you.

I've heard that they're not suitable for gaming but you may want to look into that a bit more if you're a big gamer

Hope that helps you :) . Dell's AlienWare systems are built for power and gaming so you might be something to take into consideration.

Edited by LittleRushmonkey

If your looking for something that will last get an Apple Mac. They're great and if you have the money if really recommend one to anyone. Dell (I've got a Dell laptop) or Acer are probably the next best brands I'd recommend, but an Apple Mac won't quit on you if you treat it well and is pretty easy to figure out our you can get Apple 1 on 1 or something like that to help you.

I've heard that they're not suitable for gaming but you may want to look into that a bit more if you're a big gamer

Hope that helps you :) . Dell's AlienWare systems are built for power and gaming so you might be something to take into consideration.

If you're a gamer you don't want to buy a Mac. Probably 99% of game developers develop and test entirely on Windows so unless they explicitly say "available for Mac" you're taking a HUGE gamble. I've heard horror stories from friends with Macs who play games and they end up not working at all.

If you're a gamer you don't want to buy a Mac. Probably 99% of game developers develop and test entirely on Windows so unless they explicitly say "available for Mac" you're taking a HUGE gamble. I've heard horror stories from friends with Macs who play games and they end up not working at all.

Ok, so no Mac's then...

I've had Dell computers for years and they've always been really reliable. They just end up getting too slow for the current use over time.
  • Like 1

If you're going to get a gaming tower I recommend you do your research and build it yourself. You'll save a ridiculous amount of money if you do your research and play it smart.

www.reddit.com/r/buildapc has some fantastic resources for this and the community is really nice and helpful.

If your goal is just to play skyrim, you don't need anything high end. A low-mid range rig will run it fine. If you're looking to play the latest battlefield game on high you'll be spending $800-$1000 on a pre-built rig.

One thing to keep in mind is not to future proof the machine. Costs go up exponentially as you try to future proof. You're better off buying what you need and investing in a better graphics card in 3-4 years.

==============

If you go pre built, look at the games you want to play, look at their recommended specs and get that.

Things to keep in mind:

- Intel i5 and i7 processors are basically the same thing but the i7 has hyperthreading -- which off the top of my head only a handful of games use.

- Newer generation intel processors (we're at 4th generation i5 and i7 now) run cooler and are more efficient than older ones, that's about it

- If you go pre-built avoid major retailers like best buy, they will shaft you really hard. I'd recommend going to a smaller electronics/computer store as they'll usually pick out the parts for you and assemble it for you for a few bucks. Their guarantees are usually much better as well.

I'm not really up to date on the latest graphics cards so I can't advise on those.

In the end learning about these machines is the only way to make sure you get what you want and to avoid getting ripped off. Either that or ask a friend/relative who knows what they're talking about to help you out.

Edited by USB Connector
  • Like 3

My rig's a mid-range buy, kept it just under $1000 to build.

Case: Phantom 410 mid-tower (comes with 3 free fans and an extra fan slot!)

Processor: Intel i5, pick whichever you want. Don't get the K series unless you want to overclock. Save your money. Don't get the i7 either, not worth.

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760. When I built this last July it was top of the line, around $325 on Newegg and it came with a free copy of Watch Dogs!

Power supply: 650 watt, don't remember the brand, but it's a power supply, it's not a huge difference what you get as long as you get the right wattage

Motherboard: ASUS Z90

RAM: Corsair Vengeance, 8GB

1 TB hard drive

Cheap CD/DVD drive from Target

This thing has run everything I've thrown at it, although I don't play the stupid-insane ones like Battlefield or Crysis. I'm running everything on the stock CPU cooler too, and it's not going above 60C temp when I push at it hard.

The Phantom case is wonderful cause you have a lot of room to manage your cables and if your GPU is gigantic as they tend to be, the drive bay at the bottom that you most likely won't ever need comes out very easily, just lift the tab and slide it out, no screws, and you have plenty of room.

• Like 1

If you're going to get a gaming tower I recommend you do your research and build it yourself. You'll save a ridiculous amount of money if you do your research and play it smart.

www.reddit.com/r/buildapc has some fantastic resources for this and the community is really nice and helpful.

If your goal is just to play skyrim, you don't need anything high end. A low-mid range rig will run it fine. If you're looking to play the latest battlefield game on high you'll be spending $800-$1000 on a pre-built rig.

One thing to keep in mind is not to future proof the machine. Costs go up exponentially as you try to future proof. You're better off buying what you need and investing in a better graphics card in 3-4 years.

==============

If you go pre built, look at the games you want to play, look at their recommended specs and get that.

Things to keep in mind:

- Intel i5 and i7 processors are basically the same thing but the i7 has hyperthreading -- which off the top of my head only a handful of games use.

- Newer generation intel processors (we're at 4th generation i5 and i7 now) run cooler and are more efficient than older ones, that's about it

- If you go pre-built avoid major retailers like best buy, they will shaft you really hard. I'd recommend going to a smaller electronics/computer store as they'll usually pick out the parts for you and assemble it for you for a few bucks. Their guarantees are usually much better as well.

I'm not really up to date on the latest graphics cards so I can't advise on those.

In the end learning about these machines is the only way to make sure you get what you want and to avoid getting ripped off. Either that or ask a friend/relative who knows what they're talking about to help you out.

This was the last post that was made in this thread before I got in impatient "MUST HAVE NEW COMPUTER TODAY" mode, drove to Best Buy, and bought one.

Yes, I know I disregarded some sound advice, but, hey, don't have time for "build it yourself" when ME WANTS NEW COMPUTER TODAY.

Anyway, since that time, the new machine has proven to have killer graphics (makes skyrim look like a new game, I had no idea I was missing so much), and is much faster in processing power than my old one. However, it has not been without its teething problems.

In fact, this morning everything seemed to be running quite smoothly, as it had been for the past few days, after some starting hiccups. Just before I walked out the door to go to work this morning, I started the "update and restart" process, to update on some Windows updates that were supposedly needed. (why the f**k does windows 8.1 need so many constant updates as it seems to need?)

When I walked back in the door after returning home from work, the comp was telling me that there was a problem and it needed to try to Restore, which I then found it could not do. Tried to restart the thing in many different ways, but never could get even to the log in screen.

Finally had to go the drastic way of "Refreshing" the computer, losing all the add ons I had accumulated on it since I got it.

*sigh*

I recommended going to a smaller electronics store for exactly that reason. You don't have to build it yourself. They'll do it for you.

I'm not sure what's going on with your computer but once you install windows 8.1 you should only have to install one more set of updates and that's it.

I've had Dell computers for years and they've always been really reliable. They just end up getting too slow for the current use over time.

Yay, another Dell fan. I can't say enough good things about it, will never use another. Pretty standard setup but it does me fine.

• Like 1

I've got a Toshiba laptop going on 4 yrs, use sparingly, no problems

I have a Dell , 3 years old (Work provided) use hours a day, No problem.

I don't game on them, so I would take advice and Build your own. Seems the smart way to do things.

I had someone build me a computer years ago and it still works like new. The only problem is that I bought a new video card for it and I am not sure where it goes.

Here is a picture of my computer.

http://s27.postimg.org/vyeyoexcj/abacus.jpg