Death of an idol

Lost In Xanadu

I don't even want to think about the guys in Rush ever passing away. It's almost too horrible to comprehend.

Any of them would be my "John Lennon"... :(
  • Like 2

Maybe he wouldn't be considered an "Idol" but I have posted this around here once before and for the same general reason but here goes. Being the big professional golf fan that I am, the death of Payne Stewart and the way it all went down really touched me like not many others have. I was a big fan (very early 80's) long before he became popular and "famous" and followed him every bit as closely as I have followed Tigers career. I enjoyed him much more to be honest. If he was play'in I was watch'in. I also had the pleasure of meeting him a couple times at The Kemper Open in the DC area. The photo below is he and I the first time we met. The next time I had him sign the photo. One of my prized possessions to this day. Can't remember the year but I believe the pic is around 1990ish.... :(

http://s3.postimg.org/myg3opxoj/IMAG0628.jpg

I'm not a golf fan, but this is a very cool tribute.

Thanks Blue J. He was/would be around the same age as me. He had a very young daughter and then son same as me. They are adults now as are mine but they grew up mostly without their dad. I can't imagine my children having to go through that. By all accounts they are great people and managed their way through it as his wife Tracy was a very strong person in her own right. On a personal note my children are adults and well on their way. If I had to go tomorrow my task is complete. Payne never had that chance and peace of mind to know what I know. Just saddens me is all...
  • Like 2

I get teary-eyed just thinking of a world without ron jeremy...

And his pet snake...
  • Like 1

I remember being sad that John Lennon died, and I suspect I'll be sad when Paul goes.

But not Ringo....? ;)

I remember being sad that John Lennon died, and I suspect I'll be sad when Paul goes.

I think what made that particularly horrific was the way that he died. If he had died a natural death it wouldn't have been as bad.

• Like 1

I think what made that particularly horrific was the way that he died. If he had died a natural death it wouldn't have been as bad.

^^^^ This. My post in this thread was similar. It was not that he just died in the prime of his life it was (in my posts case) the weird and awful way it happened that seemed even worse.... :(

Deaths like that are just not FAIR. That's the most painful part of seeing others die young or die unnatural deaths. The horrible unfairness of it......

Deaths like that are just not FAIR. That's the most painful part of seeing others die young or die unnatural deaths. The horrible unfairness of it......

Yeah but life/death isn't fair. Nothing really is.

Robin Williams hit pretty hard because I grew up with all his movies.

This. Considering that it came out of nowhere and I loved a bunch of his movies when I was kid...it was a very tough one swallow. Especially since arguably all of us were genuinely unaware that he was going through personal struggles around the time he died.

This might seem unusual, but sometimes, things like the circumstances that led to such and such celebrity/idol/etc.'s death (especially if it isn't a natural death), the impact they had on w/e it was that they did (whether it's music, film, acting, etc.) or finding out how such and such was a great overall human being outside of their profession is what causes their death to hit me more than the fact that whether or not I had some sort of personal/emotional connection to the person prior to their deaths.

As for the question of which celebrity/"idol" death would hit me hardest, the idea of even thinking about it reduces me to the point of feeling high anxiety.