Death of an idol

Lost In Xanadu

I know many here are big Star Trek fans, and are likely taking Nimoy's death pretty hard. It got me thinking, which celebrity's death has had the biggest personal impact on you? If they are still alive, which celebrity's death would hit you hardest if they died today?

I cannot say I have any one that stands out to me. I have been deeply saddened when certain celebrities have passed because they were a part of "my life" in a way that meant something to me. I know Bart Starr is slowly recovering from a couple strokes, and his death will be felt very hard across Packers nation.

Richard Wright

1943-2008

He will forever be playing the Great Gig In The Sky now...

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/photos/var/albums/Richard-Wright-Photos/Recent-Rick-Wright-Photos/Rick%20Wright%20Recent%20Photos%20(9).jpg?m=1391960286

• Like 5

After thinking some more, I really was down when Chris Farley passed. Such a funny guy, died too young...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_j0MhIXdLkBE/TQUV4hs1e3I/AAAAAAAAACg/W66lo0w8zoQ/s1600/fat+guy+in+a+little+coat.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe he wouldn't be considered an "Idol" but I have posted this around here once before and for the same general reason but here goes. Being the big professional golf fan that I am, the death of Payne Stewart and the way it all went down really touched me like not many others have. I was a big fan (very early 80's) long before he became popular and "famous" and followed him every bit as closely as I have followed Tigers career. I enjoyed him much more to be honest. If he was play'in I was watch'in. I also had the pleasure of meeting him a couple times at The Kemper Open in the DC area. The photo below is he and I the first time we met. The next time I had him sign the photo. One of my prized possessions to this day. Can't remember the year but I believe the pic is around 1990ish.... :(

http://s3.postimg.org/myg3opxoj/IMAG0628.jpg

• Like 5

Carl Sagan

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Jq3iuwKiZWA/T4SClbcIwmI/AAAAAAAAAE8/QNapVuwRb98/s1600/carl-sagan.jpg

Gilda Radner

http://cheddarbay.com/0000celebrityfiles/stars/gildaradner/gilda-radner-04.jpg

Isaac Asimov

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Books/Pix/pictures/2009/10/29/1256823411384/Isaac-Asimov-001.jpg

• Like 1

Robin Williams hit pretty hard because I grew up with all his movies. I imagine if Paul McCartney or Clint Eastwood goes anytime soon, I'd be upset. But not too much because they lived long lives. It's most devastating when they're younger or when it's preventable
  • Like 7

Robin Williams hit pretty hard because I grew up with all his movies. I imagine if Paul McCartney or Clint Eastwood goes anytime soon, I'd be upset. But not too much because they lived long lives. It's most devastating when they're younger or when it's preventable

Obviously there are 3 guys that would hit most of us pretty hard, but I'm not even going to talk about that. Paul would be a pretty big one for me too. Tom Hanks would too.

I think the only celebrate death that had any effect on me was Steve Irwin. I loved his show. His energy was infectious. He did crazy shit which was always entertaining. And he really seemed like a regular down to earth person, not some fake p.o.s.

Oh...on second thought...I was pretty bummed when SRV died too. :(

• Like 7

One that really shook me up when I was a kid wasn't a death at all - it was a hoax.

I'm sure anyone around my age remembers the fake death of Alfonso Ribeiro. My wife was in MD, I was in WI and we both heard the same story "the kid in the Michael Jackson video died when he broke his neck break-dancing"

I've never been starstruck, I just feel that famous people are not connected to me so I never have been hit hard by the death of a celebrity. I never knew or met them hence my so what attitude.

That's not to say I wasn't ever sorry a famous person died. Not at all. But no way in the world can someone you've never even met measure up in any way to the passing of someone you have loved and has been an integral part of your life.

However, I do remember feeling sad when Rostropovitch died. His death marked the end of an era in classical music.

When Leontyne Price passes, the golden age truly will be gone forever.

• Like 1

You and me both. I saw him in concert at Alpine Valley, the night before he died in the chopper crash. :o :o

• Like 1

The obvious one for me is John Lennon, I was devastated. So wrong to go that way. At least Mr. Nimoy had a long life and we are lucky we can still watch the shows he was in. I just always wondered what other great songs were lost when John was taken from the world too soon.
  • Like 6

Ernie Banks was my first favorite athlete. Fortunately, he had a long, full life so losing him didn't seem to hit me that hard. What is hard is all the bickering by his family after his death. Same thing with Teddy Ballgame. What the f*** is wrong with people anyway?

Ernie dealt with all kinds of BS for most of the prime of his life and had an incredibly sunny disposition despite it all. Then those closest to him turn into selfish a-holes after he passes.

:facepalm:

• Like 1

Maybe he wouldn't be considered an "Idol" but I have posted this around here once before and for the same general reason but here goes. Being the big professional golf fan that I am, the death of Payne Stewart and the way it all went down really touched me like not many others have. I was a big fan (very early 80's) long before he became popular and "famous" and followed him every bit as closely as I have followed Tigers career. I enjoyed him much more to be honest. If he was play'in I was watch'in. I also had the pleasure of meeting him a couple times at The Kemper Open in the DC area. The photo below is he and I the first time we met. The next time I had him sign the photo. One of my prized possessions to this day. Can't remember the year but I believe the pic is around 1990ish.... :(

Narpuddles had hair! :blaze:

• Like 3

The whole "celebrity" thing means nothing at all to me. That being said, there certainly are people who are famous whom I admire and respect. One death I can think of that was tough on me was Ron Taylor. He was a shark expert and filmmaker, and I had the honour of spending a week living on a boat and diving with him and his wife, Valerie.

The Big Three will be devastating, for sure. As will Stan Waterman (another filmmaker that was on that same trip), Ian McKellen, and Bruce Dickinson (hope he gets better!). There's probably more I can't think of right now.

You and me both. I saw him in concert at Alpine Valley, the night before he died in the chopper crash. :o :o

Add me to this list, too. Stevie Ray is who I would cite also, above all others.

I got to see him live, also- but it was the year before he was killed, rather than at the very last show. All I can say is wow, Principled Man.

Add me to this list, too. Stevie Ray is who I would cite also, above all others.

I got to see him live, also- but it was the year before he was killed, rather than at the very last show. All I can say is wow, Principled Man.

Stevie played Saturday and Sunday night at Alpine Valley. I saw him on Saturday night, during a magnificent show featuring Robert Cray, Stevie, and Eric Clapton. 40,000 people filled the seats and the huge lawn area. WHAT A SHOW......Jeff Healy came out for Clapton's encore, where they played Crossroads. Healy was going OFF.....walking around, jamming (with some friends to keep him from falling off stage). It was glorious thunder......

They played again Sunday night, with Stevie joining Clapton for the encore. Right after the show, about 1am, several got into choppers to head for Chicago. Damned fog bank had rolled in that night, and rendered their vision null and void. Chopper crashed full speed into the hill.

Meanwhile, I drove down to Kentucky on Monday for a week's vacation. I found out when I got down there; my buddy told me that Stevie was dead. I literally said, "F*ck you.....I just saw him in concert!" I was in shock for days.....

A completely preventable tragedy. :( :(

It will be hard for me when musicians that I grew up loving will die even though they will be old and everyone has to go sometime... It's been part of my life enjoying their music so I feel I've had a connection.

When someone dies unexpectedly or before they should have (at a younger age), it can be sad... some of the examples of those celebrities that impacted me are: Princess Diana, Brian Jones, John Lennon, Keith Moon, and Jim Morrison...

I hate death even though it's a certainty sooner or later...

I'm not a golf fan, but this is a very cool tribute.

• Like 2