The 45 minute album challenge! Cut out the filler.

gudbuytjane

Okay, in Lorraine's Moving Pictures thread it got me thinking about the length of albums, and how much of the later catalogue seems plagued by filler, maybe. So I thought: What would you cut? So here's the task: For all albums over 45 minutes (which is HYF on, I think?), what songs would you cut to make it closer to 40-45 minutes?

I'll start:

Hold Your Fire: Tai Shan, High Water

Snakes & Arrows: The Larger Bowl, The Way The Wind Blows, Good News First, We Hold On

Clockwork Angels (this was hard): BU2B, Halo Effect, Seven Cities, The Wreckers, BU2B2

I'm going to have to think about the others.

LOL, you're so specific. Why not just make the topic easier to deal with and simply discuss ALL filler tracks, rather than only albums over 45 minutes? The early catalogue has its share of filler, rest assured. :) Edited by Van Squalen
  • Like 1

For me, the following would have been sufficient for Snakes:

Far Cry

Workin Them Angels

Armor and Sword

Spindrift

The Main Monkey

Hope

We Hold On

----------------------------------------------------------

Test For Echo would have only seven songs.

Vapor Trails is a lost cause. You can't release an album with only two songs on it. :LMAO:

Clockwork Angels I would have to give more thought to.

It has to be 45? Cause i made a CA that was 42 a while back

1. CA

2. The Anarchist.

3. Halo Effect

4. The Wreckers

5. Headlong Flight

6. Wish them Well

7. The Garden

I dont even listen to that now, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

If it were me, I'd add about 45 minutes to all albums. All Rush albums should be double albums. Double CDs. 200+ minutes of music each time they release an album.

And think of all the extra songs we'd have for our l'il disputes about what's good and what's bad!

This place would be overwhelmed with posts!! They'd have to upgrade the servers again just to handle all the extra!!!

!!!

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

Okay, in Lorraine's Moving Pictures thread it got me thinking about the length of albums, and how much of the later catalogue seems plagued by filler, maybe. So I thought: What would you cut? So here's the task: For all albums over 45 minutes (which is HYF on, I think?), what songs would you cut to make it closer to 40-45 minutes?

I'll start:

Hold Your Fire: Tai Shan, High Water

Snakes & Arrows: The Larger Bowl, The Way The Wind Blows, Good News First, We Hold On

Clockwork Angels (this was hard): BU2B, Halo Effect, Seven Cities, The Wreckers, BU2B2

I'm going to have to think about the others.

I can't allow anything to be cut from Hold Your Fire. :tsk:

However, Test for Echo would be about a four-song EP, and Vapor Trails would fit on a 45. So... :huh:

• Like 2

LOL, you're so specific. Why not just make the topic easier to deal with and simply discuss ALL filler tracks, rather than only albums over 45 minutes? The early catalogue has its share of filler, rest assured. :)

Ha, well, I'm a bit of a nerd, and that means I can get hyperspecific sometimes, but either conversation is cool. :)

• Like 1

LOL, you're so specific. Why not just make the topic easier to deal with and simply discuss ALL filler tracks, rather than only albums over 45 minutes? The early catalogue has its share of filler, rest assured. :)

Ha, well, I'm a bit of a nerd, and that means I can get hyperspecific sometimes, but either conversation is cool. :)

Jane, it's a great thread.

• Like 1

Counterparts

Leave that Thing Alone

Shit, I have another 41 minutes to fill. Can we just slap this on Power Windows, which is now about 25 minutes long? We can throw on a song or two from S&A and get rid of that album too.

• Like 1

Take Face Up, Neurotica, and You Bet Your Life off of Roll the Bones, for Pete's sake!

I have a soft spot for Roll the Bones...I like that album a lot.

Well...about two thirds of it, anyway.

Ha, well, I'm a bit of a nerd, and that means I can get hyperspecific sometimes

Doesn't this describe all of us here, pretty much?

:D

• Like 2

Vapor Trails would fit on a 45.

Wish I had thought of that one. That's very good. And true. :LOL:

Vapor Trails is great. For at least six reasons.

I love the remixed Vapor Trails, but it is too long a journey. I think it would have been better listen without The Stars Look Down and Nocturne, not that I hate them, but it's too much of the same vibe for 13 tracks.

• Like 1

Clockwork Angels would have to be a double album. can't cut anything (other than BU2B2B2. Or whatever). Maybe they can fill some of the extra minutes with a few tracks from Vapor Trails. I concur that most of that album isn't that good.

Oh sure, it would mess up the "concept", but the concept is pretty stoooopid anyways....

Clem

Counterparts:

1. Everyday Glory

2. Cold Fire

3. Animate

4. Speed Of Love

5. Nobody's Hero

Stupid thread....

The honorable Prince Zumbi has spoken!

And he gets all bent out of shape when someone does it to him.

Just kick it.

Lol no way

And Vapor Trails IS AWESOME!!!!!!

Sometimes I just cannot participate because I do not agree, I even went through hold your Fire I couldn't get rid of any, maybe I'm to emotionally connected to the instruments and the tones.

Two good songs on VT give me a break!

Lol I hope they play a lot of that album at the concerts near you haters!!!!! Lol naw jj

Lol no way

And Vapor Trails IS AWESOME!!!!!!

Sometimes I just cannot participate because I do not agree, I even went through hold your Fire I couldn't get rid of any, maybe I'm to emotionally connected to the instruments and the tones.

Two good songs on VT give me a break!

Lol I hope they play a lot of that album at the concerts near you haters!!!!! Lol naw jj

If they play anything from Vapor Trails I'll know that dementia has begun to rear its ugly head.

• Like 1

Counterparts:

1. Everyday Glory

2. Cold Fire

3. Animate

4. Speed Of Love

5. Nobody's Hero

Ah man cold fire is so good, nobody's hero is also epic!

Maybe to speed of love and everyday glory.