You All Have Intellectual Brains, But Do You Like Simple Minds? "Don't You Forget About Me!"

RUSHHEAD666

I still have my 1986 Senior Ball Wine Glass. On the glass it says "Class Of 1986" "Don't You Forget About Me."

Ah yes. The Simple Minds. A one hit wonder? Well I suppose if you are a "Breakfast Club" Fan.

I love the song, and it never gets old. The funny thing is the lead singer of the Simple Minds HATES THE SONG!

He only did it for a paycheck.

Did you know that U2 was supposed to do the track?

Anyway this thread isn't about one hit. This thread is about another Eighties band call the Simple Minds.

I think this band is excellent. They have a ton of great songs!

What do you guys think?

One Hit Wonder? One Hit Blunder or are they the real deal???

This band is still putting out albums in 2015. I think they are the real deal. They have a very extensive catalog.

They just released a new Greatest Hits Box Set.

It's perfect for anyone who wants to dive into their catalog.

• Like 2

There are 2 bands forever doomed to be remembered for one song but have a mostly stellar large catalog.

Thin Lizzy for THAT song.

And Simple Minds for this piece of crap.

Minds are still great live, long shows and different setlists night to night. great energy and a wonderful catalog.

New Gold Dream and Sparkle In the Rain are my 2 favorites, but last year's "Big music" was almost just as good.

Great great band.

Ha ha, ever since you started this thread I've spent hours with Don't You Forget about Me and Alive and Kicking going through my mind. Those are 2 excellent songs in my books. I do remember that lead singer James Kerr was once married to Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders, but can't say I know much more about them... sounds like I might be missing out.
  • Like 1

Ha ha, ever since you started this thread I've spent hours with Don't You Forget about Me and Alive and Kicking going through my mind. Those are 2 excellent songs in my books. I do remember that lead singer James Kerr was once married to Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders, but can't say I know much more about them... sounds like I might be missing out.

Hahahaha! Classic!

I still have my 1986 Senior Ball Wine Glass. On the glass it says "Class Of 1986" "Don't You Forget About Me."

Ah yes. The Simple Minds. A one hit wonder? Well I suppose if you are a "Breakfast Club" Fan.

I love the song, and it never gets old. The funny thing is the lead singer of the Simple Minds HATES THE SONG!

He only did it for a paycheck.

Did you know that U2 was supposed to do the track?

Anyway this thread isn't about one hit. This thread is about another Eighties band call the Simple Minds.

I think this band is excellent. They have a ton of great songs!

What do you guys think?

One Hit Wonder? One Hit Blunder or are they the real deal???

This band is still putting out albums in 2015. I think they are the real deal. They have a very extensive catalog.

They just released a new Greatest Hits Box Set.

It's perfect for anyone who wants to dive into their catalog.

Agreed, sir. I picked up both the radio release and the extended version on Google Play some time ago.

I was a huge Simple Minds fan in highschool, but funny enough I always saw "Don't You Forget About Me" as the end for them. I hated "Alive and Kicking" and the whole Once Upon A Time album, which I saw as a blatant attempt to sound like U2 and make bundles of cash (which they did for a moment, but I think lost a lot of their fans in doing so--hence the lean post-1985 years). For me their peak came during the Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call/New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) albums. They were clearly influenced by the synth pop going on at the time, but I wouldn't have been shocked to find out that some of the band had been into rock and prog bands when they were younger. Something about the song structures and soundscapes hinted at a bigger canvas than most pop songs to me.

One of my favourites of theirs, "Theme For Great Cities" (instrumental):

http://youtu.be/6FfCxLvV2nc

"New Gold Dream" might be my favourite song by them:

http://youtu.be/UYFIIuubklU

"Waterfront" and Sparkle In The Rain were leaning to the more-rock-oriented sound they'd make money with, but it's still a pretty solid song, among their best IMO:

Edited by gudbuytjane

Also, I came across this on YouTube recently--it's HQ version of a clip of a live show from 1982. Jim Kerr was such a good front man. I also had a huge crush on him in grade 10, and was crushed when he married Chrissie Hynde!

Songs: Hunter And The Hunted / Glittering Prize / Someone, Somewhere in Summertime / The American / Big Sleep / New Gold Dream

http://youtu.be/Ot00I-B6pxQ

• Like 1

Also, I came across this on YouTube recently--it's HQ version of a clip of a live show from 1982. Jim Kerr was such a good front man. I also had a huge crush on him in grade 10, and was crushed when he married Chrissie Hynde!

Songs: Hunter And The Hunted / Glittering Prize / Someone, Somewhere in Summertime / The American / Big Sleep / New Gold Dream

http://youtu.be/Ot00I-B6pxQ

Great stuff Gudbuy! Is that an ES 355 Alex Lifeson Gibson? Sweet guitar!

• Like 1

Simple Minds were anything but a one hit wonder down here. I wasn't a huge fan, but I did get and love Sparkle In the Rain. On the weekend I just ordered the 5cd set of theirs!
  • Like 1

Simple Minds were anything but a one hit wonder down here. I wasn't a huge fan, but I did get and love Sparkle In the Rain. On the weekend I just ordered the 5cd set of theirs!

Well done!

They have a new 36 song box set. I had to pick it up!

Get the recent Live CD to hear how good the band still are.

It comes with a DVD of the concert, recorded Live at the Hydro Arena in Glasgow,and features all their greatest hits.

I really love another instrumental from them, and that's "Brass Band in African Chimes.

• Like 1

Get the recent Live CD to hear how good the band still are.

It comes with a DVD of the concert, recorded Live at the Hydro Arena in Glasgow,and features all their greatest hits.

I really love another instrumental from them, and that's "Brass Band in African Chimes.

Wow! Good to hear. Ok! I will hunt it down!

• Like 1