Is "The Necromancer" some homage to "The Banshee?"

Steel Rat

Maybe I'm just trying to come up with an excuse to enjoy this song, but I just wondered if "The Necromancer" is some kind of trivial tribute to a very famous atonal piece from 1925 by Henry Cowell, called "The Banshee." It's a very creepy piece in which a piano achieves the quality of a banshee screech by scraping the strings inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND-ga_BrkCE

I think it's Geddy who also performs a type of guttural banshee screech on his bass in the transition at 7:05. The effect is achieved in exactly the same way, only with an electric bass.

http://youtu.be/w3Hn8ywmjEI?t=7m5s

The titles of the pieces are also structurally identical ("The Banshee," vs "The Necromancer"). It's also interesting that Necromancer was written exactly 50 years after Banshee.

That's about where the similarities end though. Thanks for stopping by, and apologies for wasting your time. :hail:

I always thought it was bass pedals making that weird growling noise.

I honestly don't know what it is. It just seemed to be the obvious thing.

The same growl appears on The Main Monkey Business, right?

The same growl appears on The Main Monkey Business, right?

I think I know the part you mean--it's not quite as abrasive, but it's definitely there.

This is what I'm talking about:

(@4:20)

I remember the first time I heard it, I was like "That's definitely the same sound I heard in Necromancer."

Edited by Steel Rat
  • Like 1

Let's not forget the wonder bass growling in BY TOR

And thanks for posting this about Henry Cowell - I had never heard of him .... Seems he could have been an influence on GOBLIN and their magnificent SUSPIRIA soundtrack

The Necromancer owes more to Lord of the Rings than anything. I'm pretty sure I read a couple of interviews from back then where the band stated as such, but they decided to switch it up a little. There were rumors around also at that time that they considered doing an entire album based or LOR, but thankfully we got AFTK and Hemispheres instead.

The Necromancer owes more to Lord of the Rings than anything. I'm pretty sure I read a couple of interviews from back then where the band stated as such, but they decided to switch it up a little. There were rumors around also at that time that they considered doing an entire album based or LOR, but thankfully we got AFTK and Hemispheres instead.

I think By-Tor, The Necromancer, Rivendell, Cygnus X-1/Hemispheres and The Fountain of Lamneth were all based on the concept of LoTR's.

I think By-Tor, The Necromancer, Rivendell, Cygnus X-1/Hemispheres and The Fountain of Lamneth were all based on the concept of LoTR's.

Cygnus/Hemi has more of a science feel at first and a little Don Quixote, his ship The Rocinanté is named for Quixote's horse. But most obviously it's based on Greek mythology.

Cygnus/Hemi has more of a science feel at first and a little Don Quixote, his ship The Rocinanté is named for Quixote's horse. But most obviously it's based on Greek mythology.

I can see that too in the more obvious sense but I was referring to the protagonist taking a long journey and having adventures. All stories like that have a similar basic theme.