Jump to content


How do you like your steak?


  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you like your steak? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you like your steak?

  1. Rare, waved over a cigarrette lighter, mooing (1 votes [2.78%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 2.78%

  2. Medium rare (20 votes [55.56%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 55.56%

  3. Medium (3 votes [8.33%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 8.33%

  4. Medium well (5 votes [13.89%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 13.89%

  5. Well done, shoe leather (5 votes [13.89%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 13.89%

  6. Don't like steak or vegetarian (2 votes [5.56%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

    Ugly Betty is keeping me AWAKE!

  • Members *
  • 20096 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Worth, Texas
  • Interests:Family, Sports, Music, Reading, The Outdoors, Ted Nugent

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

Medium rare!

Sponsored Post

#42 x1yyz

x1yyz

    The Shark Whisperer

  • Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Oakland, CA
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

I like my steak roaming around the pasture, eating grass!

(I'm a vegetarian.  And apparently the only one who responded to this thread!)

#43 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27928 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:35 PM

View Postx1yyz, on 03 March 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

I like my steak roaming around the pasture, eating grass!

(I'm a vegetarian.  And apparently the only one who responded to this thread!)
We both stand alone in this thread but for different reasons if you see what I voted for... :D

#44 troutman

troutman

    My views are fishy

  • Members *
  • 44549 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

View Postx1yyz, on 03 March 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

I like my steak roaming around the pasture, eating grass!

(I'm a vegetarian.  And apparently the only one who responded to this thread!)

Poor grass,

That cow should know better. :madra: :P

#45 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

    Dita Von Sneeze

  • Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Somewhere in the Ether... or Ethanol.
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

Still mooing on the inside with a nice buttery crunchy crust on the outside.

#46 troutman

troutman

    My views are fishy

  • Members *
  • 44549 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:09 PM

View Postgangsterfurious, on 03 March 2015 - 12:54 PM, said:

Still mooing on the inside with a nice buttery crunchy crust on the outside.

:lol:

#47 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 66260 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:06 AM

View Postx1yyz, on 03 March 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

I like my steak roaming around the pasture, eating grass!

(I'm a vegetarian.  And apparently the only one who responded to this thread!)


#48 Fred Star

Fred Star

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6330 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.K, (South Wales).
  • Interests:Varied.. (all above board and legal-like)

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:35 AM

Mooing.. though i don't eat it that often.. maybe four times a year tops mainly due to the fact i can't get hold of the "good" ( dark/buttery - looking seasoned ) meat. I look upon it as a novelty food anyway !

#49 Chicken hawk

Chicken hawk

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 8469 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Maine
  • Interests:The Ocean

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

I voted Well Done---shoe leather. haha  Burn it on the grill till its krispy.
Wonder who else voted well done. ?

#50 troutman

troutman

    My views are fishy

  • Members *
  • 44549 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

View PostChicken hawk, on 04 March 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

I voted Well Done---shoe leather. haha  Burn it on the grill till its krispy.
Wonder who else voted well done. ?

I like it that way also,

But medium well works for me.

#51 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21930 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

Red and bloody. :D

#52 ILSnwdog

ILSnwdog

    King Of Car Porn

  • Members *
  • 50368 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Interests:My kids. Music. Cars. Sports. Snowmobiling. Just about anything outdoors.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 02 March 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

Is a brikey considered a steak? Pretty sure no... I cook mine for 8 hours on the smoker... usually pretty well done, but super juicy.
Is a brikey another name for brisket?  If so, brisket is not steak.  You have to cook the shit out of brisket before it's good.  A steak is a cut of meat that only needs to be seared in order to enjoy it. :haz:

#53 BowlCity

BowlCity

    Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

  • Members *
  • 10519 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omaha
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:02 PM

View PostChicken hawk, on 04 March 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

I voted Well Done---shoe leather. haha  Burn it on the grill till its krispy.
Wonder who else voted well done. ?

RUINING A GOOD STEAK

#54 troutman

troutman

    My views are fishy

  • Members *
  • 44549 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 04 March 2015 - 02:02 PM, said:

View PostChicken hawk, on 04 March 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

I voted Well Done---shoe leather. haha  Burn it on the grill till its krispy.
Wonder who else voted well done. ?

RUINING A GOOD STEAK

Ok mom. :lol:

#55 pjbear05

pjbear05

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2618 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 27 February 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

This is my favorite sauce... not really healthy... but for as often as I have steak... I can do this once in a while. It's really good with pepper-crusted tenderloin seared in an iron skillet (finished in the oven to med-rare)

1 TB unsalted butter
2 shallots, finely diced
1 tsp drained green peppercorns
2 C beef stock
1/2 C Cognac
1/4 heavy cream

Melt butter, add shallots, cook until edges of the shallots start to brown. add peppercorns and mash about half with a fork or wooden spatula. Add stock, cognac and cream. Simmer until reduced by half, stirring frequently (about 15 minutes)
I've seen this recepie a couple of times, and have opted out because of too much liquid and too much time.  I want a seared steak, not a stewed one.  What with the marbling liquefying and other juices coming out I'll just throw in a shot of Armagnac, flame that, and I'm good to go.

#56 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 66260 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:35 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 04 March 2015 - 02:02 PM, said:

View PostChicken hawk, on 04 March 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

I voted Well Done---shoe leather. haha  Burn it on the grill till its krispy.
Wonder who else voted well done. ?

RUINING A GOOD STEAK
Two years ago, my wife & mother-in-law conspired to cook our holiday prime rib to well done all the way through.  Tragic.  :facepalm:

#57 sullysue

sullysue

    Arriving Somewhere...

  • Members *
  • 16079 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Texas

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:51 PM

I posted this marinade a super long time ago. But, it is so epically wonderful, it's worth re-posting.

From Joy of Cooking:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sherry ( NOT "cooking sherry." That is nasty.  Don't EVER use "cooking wine." It's loaded to hell with sodium. And for a good reason. Think about it....") :ranton:
2 Tbs Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbs hot sauce (not Tabasco. Something like Louisiana Hot Sauce or Frank's)

Blend all of that stuff up in a small bowl, pour it over the steak, let it marinate for about 30 minutes on the counter at room temp, then take the steak out of the marinade and grill it over a red hot charcoal grill for about 8 minutes on each side, and you are in heaven. Guaranteed.

#58 Janie

Janie

    Rush Caption Queen

  • Members *
  • 16549 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Seattle, WA

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:10 AM

View Postpjbear05, on 04 March 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 27 February 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

This is my favorite sauce... not really healthy... but for as often as I have steak... I can do this once in a while. It's really good with pepper-crusted tenderloin seared in an iron skillet (finished in the oven to med-rare)

1 TB unsalted butter
2 shallots, finely diced
1 tsp drained green peppercorns
2 C beef stock
1/2 C Cognac
1/4 heavy cream

Melt butter, add shallots, cook until edges of the shallots start to brown. add peppercorns and mash about half with a fork or wooden spatula. Add stock, cognac and cream. Simmer until reduced by half, stirring frequently (about 15 minutes)
I've seen this recepie a couple of times, and have opted out because of too much liquid and too much time.  I want a seared steak, not a stewed one.  What with the marbling liquefying and other juices coming out I'll just throw in a shot of Armagnac, flame that, and I'm good to go.
Yah, sorry LIX but going with pjbear on this one. Want to cook the steak, not boil it. Just get a good sear on both sides, drop in some garlic, thyme and a lot of butter into the pan, tilt the pan off the heat and continue to baste the steak until wonderfully done on both sides. Simple and easy wins when it comes to steak.

#59 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 11986 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    Packers, Brewers & Badgers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, Bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    The Universe!!

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:38 AM

I go for medium-well, but only to the point where it's not bloody.  If there's some pink, it's all good..... ;)

I like my steaks pretty much "as is".....perhaps with a bit of salt or a tiny bit of seasoning.  I like to taste the MEAT.....

#60 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

    Coach Cheesehead

  • Members
  • 21420 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lost in Xanadu (aka WI)
  • Interests:Drinking, smoking, drugs, Justin Bieber, lying on the internet.

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:38 PM

View PostJanie, on 05 March 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

View Postpjbear05, on 04 March 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 27 February 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

This is my favorite sauce... not really healthy... but for as often as I have steak... I can do this once in a while. It's really good with pepper-crusted tenderloin seared in an iron skillet (finished in the oven to med-rare)

1 TB unsalted butter
2 shallots, finely diced
1 tsp drained green peppercorns
2 C beef stock
1/2 C Cognac
1/4 heavy cream

Melt butter, add shallots, cook until edges of the shallots start to brown. add peppercorns and mash about half with a fork or wooden spatula. Add stock, cognac and cream. Simmer until reduced by half, stirring frequently (about 15 minutes)
I've seen this recepie a couple of times, and have opted out because of too much liquid and too much time.  I want a seared steak, not a stewed one.  What with the marbling liquefying and other juices coming out I'll just throw in a shot of Armagnac, flame that, and I'm good to go.
Yah, sorry LIX but going with pjbear on this one. Want to cook the steak, not boil it. Just get a good sear on both sides, drop in some garlic, thyme and a lot of butter into the pan, tilt the pan off the heat and continue to baste the steak until wonderfully done on both sides. Simple and easy wins when it comes to steak.
You dorks, you don't cook it IN the sauce. The sauce is for dipping!! You grill it or sear it in a cast-iron pan. I would never ever ever boil a steak.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users