All The World´s A Stage VS Exit... Stage Left VS A Show Of Hands

YYZumbi

63 members have voted

1. 1. What album do you think is the best one?

• All The World´s A Stage
    • Exit... Stage Left
    • A Show Of Hands

My vote go to All The World´s A Stage.

Why? Because of many reasons. I like the raw sound on it. And the mixing on it is just perfect. And By-Tor And The Snow Dog, does it exist a better version? I don´t think so...

• Like 2

I chose ATWAS, because of many of the points already raised, but also because it's a complete set (it's slightly out of actual setlist order due to fitting it on sides of vinyl, but I just shuffle things around in a playlist). Part of why I often prefer bootlegs to official live albums is because I want to hear the set in its original order, and to have a sense of what the tour was like for fans in the crowd. Part of my beef with ESL is that it's cut up and put into different order like a greatest hits album, and gives no indication of how great the set flowed on that tour.
  • Like 3

Despite being part of the "Glasgow choir" on ESL, ATWAS gets my vote.

It was my first exposure to the band and Neil's drumming leapt out at me

as something special. Their sound seemed pretty unique,made more impressive by the fact

there was only 3 of them.

It remains for me personally, the most important and pivitol album in my life.

Without it, it's possible I would not even be on this forum nearly 40 years later.

• Like 1

ATWAS but I prefer anything past Different Stages to any of these three cause they're full concerts. I pick ATWAS because of the energy and that it has a few really good versions of songs, By-Tor, 2112, SFN, In The End, but it suffers a lot from lack of catalog. I'm not a fan of the first 3 albums save 2 or 3 songs at the most, and only 2 songs from 2112 made it on, though they're the two best ones. Had this been recorded during the Hemispheres tour then it would 10x better.

ESL is an overproduced mess, and my thoughts have always echoed Geddy's it seems. There are some good moments like Broons Bane and the Trees/Xanadu combo, and Jacob's Ladder is better on here than it is on PeW. This is my least favorite live album by far, cause it's not a real live album. It sounds like a roughed up studio compilation.

ASOH I never pick cause they ripped half the setlist out of the CD. Prime Mover, Lock And Key, Territories, and pretty much any older material is gone, though of course out of ALL older songs they put Closer To The Heart as the lone pick, which has been done to death. I love watching ASOH on video, someone uploaded a video playlist of the full concert on YouTube, remastered from the Laserdisc so Lock And Key is included, and they deserve a trophy for doing that.

ATWAS > ASOH (CD) >>>> ESL

Their first truly great live album for me was the first two discs of Different Stages, and then they reached perfection on Rio and R30.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 3

ATWAS but I prefer anything past Different Stages to any of these three cause they're full concerts. I pick ATWAS because of the energy and that it has a few really good versions of songs, By-Tor, 2112, SFN, In The End, but it suffers a lot from lack of catalog. I'm not a fan of the first 3 albums save 2 or 3 songs at the most, and only 2 songs from 2112 made it on, though they're the two best ones. Had this been recorded during the Hemispheres tour then it would 10x better.

ESL is an overproduced mess, and my thoughts have always echoed Geddy's it seems. There are some good moments like Broons Bane and the Trees/Xanadu combo, and Jacob's Ladder is better on here than it is on PeW. This is my least favorite live album by far, cause it's not a real live album. It sounds like a roughed up studio compilation.

ASOH I never pick cause they ripped half the setlist out of the CD. Prime Mover, Lock And Key, Territories, and pretty much any older material is gone, though of course out of ALL older songs they put Closer To The Heart as the lone pick, which has been done to death. I love watching ASOH on video, someone uploaded a video playlist of the full concert on YouTube, remastered from the Laserdisc so Lock And Key is included, and they deserve a trophy for doing that.

Their first truly great live album for me was the first two discs of Different Stages, and then they reached perfection on Rio and R30.

tl;dr

;)

tl;dr

;)

There is a TL;DR in there, the last two bits :moon:

• Like 1

ATWAS...my first Rush album.

I never heard their music, but I saw the album in the record store. Since it was a double album, I debating on spending a whole $10 of my lawn mowing money on a group I never heard. I decided that, even though I might not like it, with a stage set like that front cover picture it will definately kick ass. I was right.

• Like 4

ATWAS!!!

You always remember your first! This was the album that got me into the band in the first place. But I always like the sound of this album because back in those days, they SOUNDED like live albums! Always thought E...SL was a little too "dense" for a live album...plus I didn't like that one song really didn't flow into the next with the fade outs....ASoH, I just wasn't a huge fan of the song list...

• Like 1

Yeah.. Totally agree on the entire concert vibe! I wish some of the earlier albums were just full shows.... heck the "bonus" disc tape from Hammersmith from 1978 is purported to be a whole concert, but they left off the "like" tunes from the prior live albums.... I wish they'd come back and just release the WHOLE show, and be done with it!

Aren't there also tapes that exist from the PW tour that they used partially for the E...SL album? I think I remember reading that they were going to release a live show after the PW tour, but decided to hit the studio instead for another album....

Yeah.. Totally agree on the entire concert vibe! I wish some of the earlier albums were just full shows.... heck the "bonus" disc tape from Hammersmith from 1978 is purported to be a whole concert, but they left off the "like" tunes from the prior live albums.... I wish they'd come back and just release the WHOLE show, and be done with it!

Aren't there also tapes that exist from the PW tour that they used partially for the E...SL album? I think I remember reading that they were going to release a live show after the PW tour, but decided to hit the studio instead for another album....

I hated that AFTK concert on Different Stages. Geddy was sick that night and sounds awful. Ruins the show.

I chose ATWAS, because of many of the points already raised, but also because it's a complete set (it's slightly out of actual setlist order due to fitting it on sides of vinyl, but I just shuffle things around in a playlist). Part of why I often prefer bootlegs to official live albums is because I want to hear the set in its original order, and to have a sense of what the tour was like for fans in the crowd. Part of my beef with ESL is that it's cut up and put into different order like a greatest hits album, and gives no indication of how great the set flowed on that tour.

I agree 99.9% but I still prefer ESL

Nevermind, madness is a gift.....

• Like 1

E...SL for me. It was my introduction to Rush. The first thing by them that I heard. And that setlist is just so damn good.

ATWAS kicks a lot of ass, though :haz:

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

ATWAS...my first Rush album.

I never heard their music, but I saw the album in the record store. Since it was a double album, I debating on spending a whole $10 of my lawn mowing money on a group I never heard. I decided that, even though I might not like it, with a stage set like that front cover picture it will definately kick ass. I was right.

Good grief. This mirrors my experience exactly. I had never heard of the band but ATWAS was sat ( sealed) in the import rack of my local record shop. I too had to wrestle with the dilema of wether I should spend my whole album allowance on this expensive double album. I also could only see the front and back covers and I took a risk and went for it. Amazing.

• Like 1