• Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes and Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

and before you cite album sales, which I know you will, m***********, my theory is that RTB only sold so many copies because of the chronicles compilation renewing interest in rush with the grunge-era kids. and I'm gonna go ahead and declare that as 100% fact.

Right...nothing to do with radio play, hit singles, etc. It was Chronicles. :sarcastic:

RTB... RIP :rose:

i used to like this one......bad lyrics and ball-less production killed the album. The live treatment helped it greatly though.

Mick

The lyrics on Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, Bravado and Heresy are better than all the lyrics on Counterparts. And the production is still a noticeable improvement over Presto.

too bad ghost, bravado, and heresy are some of the most zzzz songs in the rush discog

my pick is still T4E of course. it doesn't reach the lows of RTB, but it doesn't reach the highs either.

Ghost of a Chance more of a snoozefest than the bulk of work between PoW and Presto? Um...no. The first riff or the bridges, separately, have more power than most of that output. Add in that the song is great and has excellent lyrics, and you get something that isn't available on too many post Signals albums.

1. music isn't better just because it has a guitar.

2. your talk about power means nothing when CP is your least favorite, and CP is heavier and has more memorable hard rock riffs than the albums surrounding it.

1. strawman

2. I've often said I approve of the production of CP. The problem with that album isn't that it's a snoozefest, it's that the songs are atrociously bad. Stick It Out is hard, but it is also lumbering, with bad vocals, bad lyrics and no melody. And T4E has far more memorable riffs than CP, as does VT. And shit, come to think of it, so does RTB. I'm struggling to think of a second good riff off the album.

1. it's not a strawman, I'm arguing against your tired points before you make them. it's going above and beyond...saying NO to mediocrity...unlike RTB.

2. honestly, other than stick it out, animate, and between sun & moon, I'm having trouble remembering how most of the songs on CP even go. and there's not a song on there that's as good as dreamline, I'll give you that. I just like to give you shit for loving RTB, hating CP, but also hating the synth stuff because it lacks a ballsy guitar (which is precisely what we have on CP).

• Like 1

i used to like this one......bad lyrics and ball-less production killed the album. The live treatment helped it greatly though.

Mick

The lyrics on Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, Bravado and Heresy are better than all the lyrics on Counterparts. And the production is still a noticeable improvement over Presto.

I think the production is WAY WORSE then Presto. i don't know where you got that one.

but oh well, lol

Mick

Mick

too bad ghost, bravado, and heresy are some of the most zzzz songs in the rush discog

my pick is still T4E of course. it doesn't reach the lows of RTB, but it doesn't reach the highs either.

Ghost of a Chance more of a snoozefest than the bulk of work between PoW and Presto? Um...no. The first riff or the bridges, separately, have more power than most of that output. Add in that the song is great and has excellent lyrics, and you get something that isn't available on too many post Signals albums.

2. your talk about power means nothing when CP is your least favorite, and CP is heavier and has more memorable hard rock riffs than the albums surrounding it.

1. strawman

2. I've often said I approve of the production of CP. The problem with that album isn't that it's a snoozefest, it's that the songs are atrociously bad. Stick It Out is hard, but it is also lumbering, with bad vocals, bad lyrics and no melody. And T4E has far more memorable riffs than CP, as does VT. And shit, come to think of it, so does RTB. I'm struggling to think of a second good riff off the album.

1. it's not a strawman, I'm arguing against your tired points before you make them. it's going above and beyond...saying NO to mediocrity...unlike RTB.

2. honestly, other than stick it out, animate, and between sun & moon, I'm having trouble remembering how most of the songs on CP even go. and there's not a song on there that's as good as dreamline, I'll give you that. I just like to give you shit for loving RTB, hating CP, but also hating the synth stuff because it lacks a ballsy guitar (which is precisely what we have on CP).

:popcorn: Love when you get riled up.... :)
  • Like 1

and before you cite album sales, which I know you will, m***********, my theory is that RTB only sold so many copies because of the chronicles compilation renewing interest in rush with the grunge-era kids. and I'm gonna go ahead and declare that as 100% fact.

Right...nothing to do with radio play, hit singles, etc. It was Chronicles. :sarcastic:

I speak the truth, friend.

chronicles comes out, exposes a lot of teens to rush, they decide to buy the next rush album since it comes out a year later. they buy their cassettes reluctantly, especially after seeing the rapping skeleton and hearing you bet your life on the radio at the doctor's office. CP sales were down because rush fans were scared they'd get f***ed again!

• Like 1

Mick

1. strawman

I just love having this argument with led. tbh, I don't even care if RTB and CP even exist, but the combo of the oddness of having RTB as a favorite and CP as a least favorite, plus the way led gets so lawyered-out over this shit makes this discussion a ton of fun every week.

• Like 1

chronicles comes out, exposes a lot of teens to rush, they decide to buy the next rush album since it comes out a year later. they buy their cassettes reluctantly, especially after seeing the rapping skeleton and hearing you bet your life on the radio at the doctor's office. CP sales were down because rush fans were scared they'd get f***ed again!

Who buys a greatest hits album and then buys the most recent release from the band without having explored the back catalog? "I just got a greatest hits by AC/DC/Aerosmith/Rolling Stones and I like their old material, though not much of the new stuff...I'm not going to buy Back in Black/Toys in the Attic/Let It Bleed, I'm going to buy Rock or Bust/Honkin' for Hobo/A Bigger Bang even though they've released a few singles from those albums and I don't like them or their current sound." Seems plausible.

• Like 1

Mick

1. strawman

I just love having this argument with led. tbh, I don't even care if RTB and CP even exist, but the combo of the oddness of having RTB as a favorite and CP as a least favorite, plus the way led gets so lawyered-out over this shit makes this discussion a ton of fun every week.

RTB isn't a favorite of mine...it's middle of the pack, usually outside the top 10. But I don't see how people can shit all over this one (or T4E which is actually better, in my view) and exalt in CP. I still feel that each foray into the evolving sound at that time (Presto and CP) were botched jobs with weak songs that were improved upon greatly by the following albums which kept the sound but brought the songs.

Who buys a greatest hits album and then buys the most recent release from the band without having explored the back catalog? "I just got a greatest hits by AC/DC/Aerosmith/Rolling Stones and I like their old material, though not much of the new stuff...I'm not going to buy Back in Black/Toys in the Attic/Let It Bleed, I'm going to buy Rock or Bust/Honkin' for Hobo/A Bigger Bang even though they've released a few singles from those albums and I don't like them or their current sound." Seems plausible.

ah, you misunderstand. they had a whole year to buy rush's back catalogue. they bought all those killer f***ing records, shocked by how these guys can go from prog rock to synth pop and still sound 100% incredible. they're super excited for their first "new album" as rush fans, so they all run out and buy it. makes sense to me. in fact, isn't this your own rush story? you heard chronicles, liked their 70s/early 80s stuff, so you bought RTB when it came out.

• Like 1

Mick

1. strawman

RTB isn't a favorite of mine...it's middle of the pack, usually outside the top 10. But I don't see how people can shit all over this one (or T4E which is actually better, in my view) and exalt in CP. I still feel that each foray into the evolving sound at that time (Presto and CP) were botched jobs with weak songs that were improved upon greatly by the following albums which kept the sound but brought the songs.

well now I feel bad for busting your balls for no reason. as much as you'd defended RTB, I'd always assumed it was among your top albums. you could've told me that so I wouldn't look like such a dildo.

BREAKING NEWS

CNN HAS NOW PROJECTED : TEST FOR ECHO WILL BE THE WINNER OF LEAST GLORIOUS ROUND 2

EARLY FAVORITES FOR ROUND 3 - PRESTO, ROLL THE BONES AND VAPOR TRAILS.

CLOCKWORK ANGELS, COUNTERPARTS AND SNAKES AND ARROWS LISTED AS DARK HORSES

STAY TUNED FOR ROUND 3 EXPECTED TO BEGIN SHORTLY, BUT FIRST, A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR.......

Are you tired and achy? World got you down? Feeling listless and out of sorts?.......

ah, you misunderstand. they had a whole year to buy rush's back catalogue. they bought all those killer f***ing records, shocked by how these guys can go from prog rock to synth pop and still sound 100% incredible. they're super excited for their first "new album" as rush fans, so they all run out and buy it. makes sense to me. in fact, isn't this your own rush story? you heard chronicles, liked their 70s/early 80s stuff, so you bought RTB when it came out.

Glad mine was AFTK :LOL: Just old and lucky I guess.... :codger:
  • Like 2

BUT FIRST, A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR.......

Are you tired and achy? World got you down? Feeling listless and out of sorts?.......

YES!

Sponsor, whatever wares you're plying today, you are a marketing genius.

• Like 1

BREAKING NEWS

CNN HAS NOW PROJECTED : TEST FOR ECHO WILL BE THE WINNER OF LEAST GLORIOUS ROUND 2

STAY TUNED FOR ROUND 3 EXPECTED TO BEGIN SHORTLY, BUT FIRST, A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR.......

Then stop listening to VT you moron!!!

Sorry couldn't help it, lol

Mick

Roll The Bones sold so well because the radio played the shit out of Dreamline, the title track and Ghost Of A Chance. Chronicles may have helped but it's not the main reason RTB sold so well. But what do I know? I was alive at this time and actually experienced it unlike Bathory ;) Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

Mick

1. strawman

well now I feel bad for busting your balls for no reason. as much as you'd defended RTB, I'd always assumed it was among your top albums. you could've told me that so I wouldn't look like such a dildo.

70% of what we do here is bust each others' balls for subjective opinions on music. If I didn't at least usually find it entertaining, I wouldn't be here!

• Like 2

Roll The Bones sold so well because the radio played the shit out of Dreamline, the title track and Ghost Of A Chance. Chronicles may have helped but it's not the main reason RTB sold so well. But what do I know? I was alive at this time and actually experienced it unlike Bathory ;)

Me too. I know my brother got RTB because of the radio play, and then ESL because someone said that was like a greatest hits album. He didn't like it and never got more into Rush. I did, and I went and got Chronicles, though I rarely listened past Subdivisions.

• Like 1

I've never heard anything on the radio from Roll the Bones...mainly because what would be required for that to be so, is listening to the radio. And that is something I haven't done since...well, before 1991, honestly. Not commercial radio, anyway.

I bought Roll the Bones when it was released because it's a Rush album. (Shocking, I know).

BREAKING NEWS

Mick

...and put on Hemispheres! Let Alex Lifeson and his dancing guitar lift you up and out of yourself and send you into another galaxy where there is dancing and laughter and no album after Signals exist!

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

BREAKING NEWS

Mick

...and put on Hemispheres! Let Alex Lifeson and his dancing guitar lift you up and out of yourself and send you into another galaxy where there is dancing and laughter and no album after Signals exist!

Hemisphere's is approved by most of TRF.......And the ones that don't enjoy it.....well they don't exist!!!!!!!!

Mick

• Like 1

No, my brother got RTB and ESL, both of which I liked. I then borrowed Chronicles from a "friend" and then went to the older records. I didn't buy the later ones because I figured if they couldn't put 2 good songs on a greatest hits, I didn't want to get the album. Who knows, if it hadn't been for Chronicles I might have bought Counterparts.

But back to your argument...I'm really not seeing it. Not many people went back and bought HYF and Presto as those didn't go platinum but went gold soon after release. There simply wasn't enough of a following for those albums for people to say "I love HYF and Presto, so I have to get RTB". And if you got Chronicles and didn't get HYF and Presto, you know that the later music might not be for you. Which means that radio play was much more likely why people got RTB, and why that album reversed a long trend of declining sales.

• Like 1

I've never heard anything on the radio from Roll the Bones...mainly because what would be required for that to be so, is listening to the radio. And that is something I haven't done since...well, before 1991, honestly. Not commercial radio, anyway.

I bought Roll the Bones when it was released because it's a Rush album. (Shocking, I know).

Well, in my defense I was 13 at the time the album came out, so listening to the local rock radio station at that age is what helped peak my interest in Rush and other bands. Today I may listen to a few minutes of radio while i'm in the car but back then when I had no job or money, radio was my main way of hearing music. Those three main singles off RTB were played a shit ton. My area has always been a big Rush town, so they those songs may have gotten even more play here than everywhere else.

Well, in my defense I was 13 at the time the album came out, so listening to the local rock radio station at that age is what helped peak my interest in Rush and other bands. Today I may listen to a few minutes of radio while i'm in the car but back then when I had no job or money, radio was my main way of hearing music. Those three main singles off RTB were played a shit ton. My area has always been a big Rush town, so they those songs may have gotten even more play here than everywhere else.

Oh, no need to come to your own defense- I was not trying to talk down to anyone, or put myself on a pedestal, nothing like that. I'm just doing my part to refute the generalization that Roll the Bones sold well either because of radio airplay, or because of a best-of package, or anything else. I just bought it because it was Rush, and it was new.

(And you're not that much younger than I, anyway- I was only 18 in 1991).