• Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes and Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

I just don't like the songs at all.

I know how incomprehensible this is to you. I feel the same way when someone doesn't like an album I love.

I totally understand this. I didn't like the album at all until I heard it live. It really made all the difference. Now I really like it.

You are not the first person here to say something like that. It must be absolutely wonderful hearing these songs live.

It is quite amazing. Just takes it to another level entirely.

The first album I ever bought is a perfect example i.e. Lakeside Park, In The End etc.... :)

Well sure, but listening to a live album is nothing like being at the concert itself.

For what its worth I do realize that....

I didn't mean that in a derogatory sense at all. There's just so much more to it when you're at a concert. I have to say that all of the concerts that I've ever been to in my life, Rush concerts have been the most out of body type experience if that makes sense. Other concerts I've been to have been really similar to sitting at home listening to a CD.

I know what you are talking about. Not with Rush, of course, but I have experienced once what you have written about.

Who was the artist?

In 1971 when I saw The Moody Blues for the first time at MSG. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven for sure. I sat there entranced.

I can imagine. I would have loved to have seen them back in the day.

I saw the Moody Blues in...1990, I think? Not like the early days, certainly. But I enjoyed it.

I know how incomprehensible this is to you. I feel the same way when someone doesn't like an album I love.

I totally understand this. I didn't like the album at all until I heard it live. It really made all the difference. Now I really like it.

You are not the first person here to say something like that. It must be absolutely wonderful hearing these songs live.

The first album I ever bought is a perfect example i.e. Lakeside Park, In The End etc.... :)

Well sure, but listening to a live album is nothing like being at the concert itself.

Crowd at the KC show, at least in the section where I was at, went apeshit when they pulled out The Analog Kid and Territories.

Then the 2112 finale :haz:

I was at that show. The crowd around me loved TAK. Territories, not so much.

I didn't mean that in a derogatory sense at all. There's just so much more to it when you're at a concert. I have to say that all of the concerts that I've ever been to in my life, Rush concerts have been the most out of body type experience if that makes sense. Other concerts I've been to have been really similar to sitting at home listening to a CD.

I know what you are talking about. Not with Rush, of course, but I have experienced once what you have written about.

Who was the artist?

In 1971 when I saw The Moody Blues for the first time at MSG. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven for sure. I sat there entranced.

I saw the Moody Blues in...1990, I think? Not like the early days, certainly. But I enjoyed it.

No. Nothing like the early days. Not even close.

I'm genuinely shocked at the hate for Test For Echo and Clockwork Angels. Hate is too intense a word - "dislike" would be better.

I'm sure no one here actually hates any Rush album. :)

CA is the renaissance for a band who was lost for 25+ years.

Just because some people like it doesn't mean it's good.

But wouldn't you say it's the best they have done since they came back?

Yep....since they came back from the road during the p/g Tour...

• Like 1

Who was the artist?

I didn't have the benefit of seeing really any classic bands of that era in their prime- I was only born in 1973.

My mother always told me I should have been born twenty years earlier. But...such is life.

Who was the artist?

I didn't have the benefit of seeing really any classic bands of that era in their prime- I was only born in 1973.

My mother always told me I should have been born twenty years earlier. But...such is life.

My nephew was the same way. He loved older rock 'n roll from before he was even born.

RTB... RIP :rose:

i used to like this one......bad lyrics and ball-less production killed the album. The live treatment helped it greatly though.

Mick

The lyrics on Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, Bravado and Heresy are better than all the lyrics on Counterparts. And the production is still a noticeable improvement over Presto.

• Like 1

I'm with Segue on this one. I think Vapor Trails is cool, for about six different reasons.

Definitely better than the album that followed.

• Like 4

Yikes, Test For Echo is not doing so well. That kinda saddens me. That album defined the first half of my grade 12 year.

I guess I should go out and say it, I voted for Caress of Steel because of all their remaining albums on the list, it was the least memorable to me, and that is a big judgement point for me on any album. An album is defined by how many moments are repeating in my head. My favorite Rush album, Power Windows, was so memorable, with so many details swirling in my head, that I replayed it instantly. The same can be said for me with only an select few more albums out of the hundreds I own.

My vote went to T4E. Which is sad for me since that was the first new Rush album to come out after I became a fan and at the time I did enjoy it a lot. Over the years though, there's only a few songs I still listen to off it. I don't dislike the album now, i just never get the urge to listen to it in full ever.

These votes will be tough for me. Rush has recorded songs that I don't care for but I like all their albums.

Edited by J2112YYZ

BREAKING NEWS

CNN HAS NOW PROJECTED : TEST FOR ECHO WILL BE THE WINNER OF LEAST GLORIOUS ROUND 2

EARLY FAVORITES FOR ROUND 3 - PRESTO, ROLL THE BONES AND VAPOR TRAILS.

CLOCKWORK ANGELS, COUNTERPARTS AND SNAKES AND ARROWS LISTED AS DARK HORSES

• Like 4

i used to like this one......bad lyrics and ball-less production killed the album. The live treatment helped it greatly though.

Mick

The lyrics on Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, Bravado and Heresy are better than all the lyrics on Counterparts. And the production is still a noticeable improvement over Presto.

too bad ghost, bravado, and heresy are some of the most zzzz songs in the rush discog

my pick is still T4E of course. it doesn't reach the lows of RTB, but it doesn't reach the highs either.

Mick

too bad ghost, bravado, and heresy are some of the most zzzz songs in the rush discog

my pick is still T4E of course. it doesn't reach the lows of RTB, but it doesn't reach the highs either.

Ghost of a Chance more of a snoozefest than the bulk of work between PoW and Presto? Um...no. The first riff or the bridges, separately, have more power than most of that output. Add in that the song is great and has excellent lyrics, and you get something that isn't available on too many post Signals albums.

Mick

Ghost of a Chance more of a snoozefest than the bulk of work between PoW and Presto? Um...no. The first riff or the bridges, separately, have more power than most of that output. Add in that the song is great and has excellent lyrics, and you get something that isn't available on too many post Signals albums.

1. music isn't better just because it has a guitar.

2. your talk about power means nothing when CP is your least favorite, and CP is heavier and has more memorable hard rock riffs than the albums surrounding it.

and before you cite album sales, which I know you will, m***********, my theory is that RTB only sold so many copies because of the chronicles compilation renewing interest in rush with the grunge-era kids. and I'm gonna go ahead and declare that as 100% fact.
  • Like 1

Presto for me.

I like most of the songs, and find them all at least interesting, but the production was thin, this is the height of the repeating vocal Geddy, and it was a particularly shitty time in my life which most certainly reflects in my recollection of this album. It's good, but not as good as the others.

Mick

1. music isn't better just because it has a guitar.

2. your talk about power means nothing when CP is your least favorite, and CP is heavier and has more memorable hard rock riffs than the albums surrounding it.

1. strawman

2. I've often said I approve of the production of CP. The problem with that album isn't that it's a snoozefest, it's that the songs are atrociously bad. Stick It Out is hard, but it is also lumbering, with bad vocals, bad lyrics and no melody. And T4E has far more memorable riffs than CP, as does VT. And shit, come to think of it, so does RTB. I'm struggling to think of a second good riff off the album.