Truly Outstanding Beers.

Let's make this thread for what people consider the BEST of the BEST beers they have ever tried.

Let's not overload it with too many examples from the same person, just interested in the very few you consider the BEST of the BEST, in all your beer drinking experience.

Right now, the very top of my list is "Sea Dog Bluepaw Wild Blueberry Wheat Ale", with a special mention as a possible competitor "Fraoch Heather Ale", which I just tried my first bottle of today, and will definitely try again in the future to follow up on how it seemed in this one bottle, when I get a chance to obtain more of it.

Yes, both of these are beers I have only recently discovered. Good for me!

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call myself a huge beer fan. I've really never sampled that many beers in my life. I only recently (thanks to many recomendations from this board) have been trying some new beers (mainly microbrews). So my new favorite could be just around the corner.

However, I'd have to say my favorite Outstanding Beer remains Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and more specificly their Celebration Ale which is their Winter Seasonal Beer. Have yet to find anything finer on my beer taste buds.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 9 2005, 01:05 AM)
http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~sheltren/img/sn-celebration.jpg

That is indeed a tasty Ale. I had one on tap last winter.

Mmmm, Mmmm...that's good drinkin'!

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 9 2005, 04:04 AM)
So my new favorite could be just around the corner.

Of course it could be.

That is a good thing.

What a wonderful world we live in, beer wise anyway.

I've tried the SNPA, but not the "Celebration" version.

To tell you the truth, my main motivation in this thread was to provide a list of suggestions for people to make to one another to try -- all us of enriching each other with knowledge of potenitally "outstanding" beers. trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Aug 9 2005, 01:39 AM)

I see beers of yellow and Lagers of gold,

Ales of deep brown, the Heifenweizen bubblin'

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world..

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 9 2005, 04:47 AM)

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 9 2005, 02:47 AM)

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 9 2005, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 9 2005, 05:11 AM)

One of my all-time faves. One of the best IPAs ever. Are those out already? It seems too early in the year for those.

I don't think they are out yet this year.. I think they start producing it in November sometime... I'll be watching for it.

http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/fatdog.jpg

Stoudt's Fat Dog: From Pennsylvania's preeminent micro-brewery, the Fat Dog is a fusion of traditional British-style Stouts.  This unique bottle conditioned ale merges the smooth complexity of Oatmeal Stout and the extremely rich maltiness and assertive hoppiness of Imperial Stout.  The Fat Dog has an inviting silky black color, and a prominent roasted malt character, with a chocolaty coffee-like finish.  9% abv.

YUMMY! trink38.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 9 2005, 05:11 AM)

One of my all-time faves. One of the best IPAs ever. Are those out already? It seems too early in the year for those.

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Aug 9 2005, 04:22 AM)
"Fraoch Heather Ale", which I just tried my first bottle of today, and will definitely try again in the future to follow up on how it seemed in this one bottle, when I get a chance to obtain more of it.

I FREAKING LOVE FRAOCH! But, dammit, I can't find it here! fists crying.gif

My all-time favorite is Lorimer's Scottish Ale.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 9 2005, 09:42 PM)
"Fraoch Heather Ale", which I just tried my first bottle of today, and will definitely try again in the future to follow up on how it seemed in this one bottle, when I get a chance to obtain more of it.

I can sympathize Jack. I can't find squat here in the more "eclectic" beers. Just typical stuff mad.gif

QUOTE (Warren @ Aug 9 2005, 08:54 PM)
http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/fatdog.jpg

Stoudt's Fat Dog: From Pennsylvania's preeminent micro-brewery, the Fat Dog is a fusion of traditional British-style Stouts...

I looked this beer up on BeerAdvocate.com, and it said this:

Note: This beer has been retired and/or the brewery is closed.

Stoudt's brewery still seems to be in business. Are you still able to get Fat Dog?

As far as Stoudt's being Pennsylvania's preeminent micro-brewery, I respectfully disagree. I think that honor has to go to Victory Brewing. Their beers are consistently among the highest rated Amercan micro brews. Their HopDevil IPA has been a favorite of mine for a while now -- plenty of hop bite, but it has an unusually prominent malt characteristic that many IPAs lack. An extremely well balanced ale.

Victory also makes the best imperial stout I ever had, Storm King Stout. Thick, strong, and complex, this stuff assaults your taste buds. It's so good it's ridiculous. One of the founders of BeerAdvocate had this to say about it: "This one goes down as one of the greatest, not just one of the greatest Imperial Stouts but as one of the greatest beers in the world. As close to perfection as you can get."

I'm not a big pilsner fan, but Victory makes a wonderful German-style pilsner called Prima Pils. Light and refreshing, but with an extra dose of hops for added bite. I keep this in my fridge to drink with spicy food, or for company who might not like the heavier ales. Men's Journal magazine assembled a panel of beer gurus to rank the 25 best American micro brews, and Prima Pils came in at #2.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/1005.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/1013.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/1010.jpg

(Yes, this post took some work. I was bored. tongue.gif trink38.gif )

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 9 2005, 08:42 PM)

It's sold in Greenville.

Maybe I'll bring you some, next time I plan to be in the Charleston area.

Should be down there, if not before, the last week in September.

*makes notes regarding the interesting looking beers mentioned so far*

*also burns and pillages RR for daring to mention Miller Lite in this thread wink.gif *

Edit --Doh! Got to remember, it is pillage first, and THEN burn. Keep f***ing that up, and my crew is going to mutiny.

QUOTE (Warren @ Aug 10 2005, 03:50 PM)
After a long hot day at work, I'm currently enjoying a tall cold glass of Blithering Idiot.

http://www.weyerbacher.com/cwo/Our_Beers/Blithering_Idiot/

You guys crack me up! First Digital Man and his Moose Drool, now you and your Blithering Idiot. And Arrogant Bastard? Don't you all ever wonder if these beer makers are just mocking you with these silly names for the high prices you pay for them?

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 10 2005, 04:39 PM)
QUOTE (Warren @ Aug 10 2005, 03:50 PM)
After a long hot day at work, I'm currently enjoying a tall cold glass of Blithering Idiot.

http://www.weyerbacher.com/cwo/Our_Beers/Blithering_Idiot/

You guys crack me up! First Digital Man and his Moose Drool, now you and your Blithering Idiot. And Arrogant Bastard? Don't you all ever wonder if these beer makers are just mocking you with these silly names for the high prices you pay for them?

biggrin.gif

doh.gif

They can take the p all they want, I'll be giggling in a stupor. rofl3.gif hehehe

Oh, and that Blithering Idiot was free. tongue.gif However, I am not. cool.gif Er...I guess that depends.... pokey.gif