Should Rush release a re-mastered version of "Exit...Stage Left"?

ALifeson85

Considering Geddy's comments from this past week's episode of "The Metal Show", about how ESL "haunts" him, because of how he regrets pulling the audience so far back in the final mix, and giving it TOO polished of a sound - if Rush were to release a re-mastered version of ESL, with a more "live" / raw sound - same track list, with maybe a few added bonus tracks from that tour (Limelight, Hemispheres Prelude, The Camera Eye, etc), would you buy it?? I totally would!! I actually STILL love the current version of that album, but I kinda do agree with Geddy's feelings towards the mix.
  • Like 3

I bet there's a very good chance that the master tapes of those concerts are long gone. It's just a hunch...

Maybe...then again, they have managed to dig up a LOT of old concert footage / recordings in the past, and released them...for example : the bonus disc for "Different Stages", with the Hammersmith '77 show. You never know.....

There was a live version of "Vital Signs" released on the b-side of the "New World Man" single. I bet there's not much left, if anything at all.

2112. That was released on the deluxe edition of 2012 remastered 2112 album.

• Like 2

Since we're on the subject...I'm ALSO ready for the FULL Toronto '97 show from the TfE tour. The look and sound of the footage they DID release on the R40 box set, is AMAZING. :yes:
  • Like 1

The aspects of ESL that "haunt" Geddy could not be corrected through a mere process of remastering. The audience, or lack thereof, and the polished nature of the recordings is a mixing and overdubbing problem. It would require a much more rigorous intervention to fix the problems Geddy and some Rush fans have with it.

That said, this isn't unprecedented for Rush. After all, they did remix Vapor Trails.

• Like 3

The aspects of ESL that "haunt" Geddy could not be corrected through a mere process of remastering. The audience, or lack thereof, and the polished nature of the recordings is a mixing and overdubbing problem. It would require a much more rigorous intervention to fix the problems Geddy and some Rush fans have with it.

That said, this isn't unprecedented for Rush. After all, they did remix Vapor Trails.

Do we know that for sure, though? Were the shows recorded with no ambiance mics placed around the room? I just kinda always assumed the sterile sound was a product of the studio. Maybe it was just wishful thinking.

That said...if the original recordings do exist and can be remastered to sound live...I'd absolutely buy it!! Til then, I'll just keep listening to my Anaheim bootlegs!!

Do we know that for sure, though? Were the shows recorded with no ambiance mics placed around the room? I just kinda always assumed the sterile sound was a product of the studio. Maybe it was just wishful thinking.

That said...if the original recordings do exist and can be remastered to sound live...I'd absolutely buy it!! Til then, I'll just keep listening to my Anaheim bootlegs!!

He said they pulled the audience back in the mix, which sounds like they had the audience on a separate channel.

• Like 2

He said they pulled the audience back in the mix, which sounds like they had the audience on a separate channel.

Can you imagine if it sounded like ATWAS? :haz:

• Like 2

Exactly!!!!!

• Like 1

Yes, I'm sure they do have an audience track(s). But you cannot simply add those in during remastering. That's not how mastering works, or what mastering is as a process. Putting the audience track back in would require a remix. So too would removing or altering some of the overdubs that contribute to its polished sheen, and detract from its raw potential.

A remix is a much more involved process. It would take more time, money, and energy. So the band would have to collectively care about this as much as they did Vapor Trails, for example, or devoting their time to developing new material.

And then, if they did remix it, they would have to remaster it again too, as the standard process dictates.

That would have been awesome, but I think if it had, they wouldn't have lowered them so much.

• Like 1

That would have been awesome, but I think if it had, they wouldn't have lowered them so much.

ATWAS is what got me in to Rush,

Perfection!! ESL was such a let down for me. I never understood why they went down that road.

ATWAS is what got me in to Rush,

Perfection!! ESL was such a let down for me. I never understood why they went down that road.

If I had to guess, maybe they were trying for more of a studio sound in a live record. Trying to be perfect, but losing the "live" feel.

Yes, I'm sure they do have an audience track(s). But you cannot simply add those in during remastering. That's not how mastering works, or what mastering is as a process. Putting the audience track back in would require a remix. So too would removing or altering some of the overdubs that contribute to its polished sheen, and detract from its raw potential.

A remix is a much more involved process. It would take more time, money, and energy. So the band would have to collectively care about this as much as they did Vapor Trails, for example, or devoting their time to developing new material.

And then, if they did remix it, they would have to remaster it again too, as the standard process dictates.

I dunno..."haunted" is a pretty strong word. I realize Geddy can only speak for himself, but I don't see why a complete remix/remaster couldn't theoretically happen.