Digital Man

Lorraine

124 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the song?

• Love it!
    • Wouldn't say I love it, but I do like it.
    • Dislike it.
    • Hate the song.

What kind of guitar is Alex using on the song?

Live on Snakes he used a Les Paul.

For some reason I seem to remember the studio version was a Tele... but don't hold me to that!

That was what I was going to say also- a Telecaster on the studio version. But I'm not certain.

I used to think it was only a OK song. But now I am starting to love it more and more after I have heard it on so many live albums (official ones and bootlegs).

Zumbi, what are the names of some S&A Tour bootlegs? Maybe I have one of those and I can watch it.

You mean video bootlegs?

Yes. I don't have any audio bootlegs from that tour. But I do have many dvds that are labeled "Mountain View" and stuff like that with no date. I wanted to see if I had any bootleg videos from that tour if you would give me the names of some of them instead of me having to put each dvd into the player to see what tour it's from.

Why don´t you just watch the official one?

Because I can't find it. I have no idea what happened to it.

What kind of guitar is Alex using on the song?

On the album I think Al is using the Hentor Stratocaster. If I remember the solo, there's definately some whammy bar action, so likely not the telecaster.

• Like 1

I used to think it was only a OK song. But now I am starting to love it more and more after I have heard it on so many live albums (official ones and bootlegs).

Zumbi, what are the names of some S&A Tour bootlegs? Maybe I have one of those and I can watch it.

You mean video bootlegs?

Yes. I don't have any audio bootlegs from that tour. But I do have many dvds that are labeled "Mountain View" and stuff like that with no date. I wanted to see if I had any bootleg videos from that tour if you would give me the names of some of them instead of me having to put each dvd into the player to see what tour it's from.

You lost your Rush video!? :o Oh dear....

Alright, give me a sec and I check on my hard drive.

I didn't like Digital Man at all when Signals was first released, it was just a little too different for me (my favorite 70's hard rock band trying an 80's sound...how dare they) . Over the years I've grown to like it and it's now one of my favorites. Sometimes the good songs just need to age a little bit.

I had the same response. At first, meh, but now it's one of my favourites (I had a similar response to Signals overall. For years I only cared about Subdivisions, but now the album is among my favourites).

• Like 1

You mean video bootlegs?

2007-06-13: Atlanta Rush Hour / Tastes Like Chicken

2007-06-16: The Snakebite

2007-07-28: Rolling Snakes And Arrows

2007-09-17: Madison Square Garden, New York City (3-Cam)

2007-10-03: Union Of The Snake

• Like 1

Eagle will know what he's using.

signals tour video...looks like the hentor strat.

and *gag* the steinberger bass.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

You mean video bootlegs?

Thank you, Zumbi. I appreciate it. :)

You mean video bootlegs?

Thank you, Zumbi. I appreciate it. :)

Anytime!

No idea if those are any good ones thou, I just wrote some in the list. I don´t know much about video bootlegs.

Edited by YYZumbi
  • Like 1

I didn't like Digital Man at all when Signals was first released, it was just a little too different for me (my favorite 70's hard rock band trying an 80's sound...how dare they) . Over the years I've grown to like it and it's now one of my favorites. Sometimes the good songs just need to age a little bit.

I had the same response. At first, meh, but now it's one of my favourites (I had a similar response to Signals overall. For years I only cared about Subdivisions, but now the album is among my favourites).

Hopefully the same happens for me because I'd rather not be skipping songs.

Considerably worse than any song they recorded from 1977-1981 and one of two skips on Signals.

Never mind this. Why weren't you there defending your album when Geddy had the audacity to rank it so low?

Geddy posts here?

Geddy ranked the first nine Rush albums on a radio show Saturday night. Fly By Night did quite poorly. :boo hiss:

Aren't you the Fly By Night Ambassador? ;)

Yeah, but no one was trashing it here so there was no one to defend it from.

Thank you, but I wouldn't know what a hentor strat looked like if I tripped over one :LOL: , and I can't watch the video. :cool:

A Hentnor Sportscaster is a modified Strat.

It has a Floyd Rose bridge and other custom hardware.

Considerably worse than any song they recorded from 1977-1981 and one of two skips on Signals.

Never mind this. Why weren't you there defending your album when Geddy had the audacity to rank it so low?

Geddy posts here?

Geddy ranked the first nine Rush albums on a radio show Saturday night. Fly By Night did quite poorly. :boo hiss:

Aren't you the Fly By Night Ambassador? ;)

Yeah, but no one was trashing it here so there was no one to defend it from.

You had to defend the album from Geddy!! :o The man doesn't even know what's good in his own music. ;) You should have been waiting by the Stage Door that night to catch him as he was leaving to point out the error of his ways. :cool: Just joking. ;)

It's a good song. For a 6 Minute song lots of changes.

I for one believe the last 1 minute and 20 seconds are terrible filler....Geddy with the fading talking at the end...

JUST END IT!!

But the 1st 5 minutes are great.

Reggae/ Ska whatever you want to call it...It's pretty cool and appropriate for the time looking back

On the Signals as a whole it is clearly the 6th best song, destroying

New World Man and Countdown.

Moments until Lorraine goes nuts..3..2..1.

I for one believe the last 1 minute and 20 seconds are terrible filler....Geddy with the fading talking at the end...

JUST END IT!!

Reggae/ Ska whatever you want to call it...It's pretty cool and appropriate for the time looking back

You left twenty-two seconds off the song.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

JUST END IT!!

You left twenty-two seconds off the song.

Exactly, should have ended with a thump at 5:05

If we're talking about the studio version of the song, I don't know. It does sound like it could be a single coil pickup guitar which would mean likely a Fender (or the Hentor). You can't go by what he uses in concert because that doesn't mean it's the same thing he used on the record. And a lot of times they'll double track the guitar, which means there could be multiple guitars on one song.

I would have loved to spend a few days with them while they were recording some of these albums. Just so I could watch and see all that goes into the making of one. I know, the Snakes documentary showed a lot of that, but it's not the same as actually being there.
  • Like 1

Per this, Digital Man was the beginning of the end of Terry brown with Rush.

http://ultimateclass...album-turns-30/

The article was very good:

"Longtime producer Terry Brown was so disgusted with the band’s direction on the funky ‘Digital Man‘ that he initially refused to record the track (and those arguments resulted in an end of their collaborative partnership). "

I can't imagine, if the above is true, what it would be like being faced with a producer who disliked something I wrote so much he wouldn't want to record it.

Edited by Lorraine