Digital Man

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

Poll: Digital Man (123 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the song?

1. Love it! (93 votes [75.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.61%

2. Wouldn't say I love it, but I do like it. (22 votes [17.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.89%

3. Dislike it. (8 votes [6.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.50%

4. Hate the song. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Snaked

Snaked

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3339 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 23 February 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 23 February 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 23 February 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

Who am I?

I don't get it.  The Weapon is a much better song than Digital Man.  Why do so many people like Digital Man?  I mean, it's ok, but it's no The Weapon.  I'm listeing to it right now, and all I can think about is how much better The Weapon is.  Digital MAn is a good song, but it sucks compared to The Weapon.

Why even start that up in a thread that he hadn't even posted in (at the time you posted this)? If there's a member on the board that annoys you, why bait him into doing it MORE? I don't get that. There's enough drama here without having to go fishing for it. And remember, I've called out Zumbi for his posting style on a few occasions myself, so it's not like I'm in the habit of defending him.

And as we see, his actual post that came later was nothing like this.

I was just mocking the Jacob's Ladder thread shenanigans.  At least I didn't start a thread for The Weapon...

;)

Obvious troll is obvious.

Sponsored Post

#42 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

My favorite part of the song begins at about 3:26.

#43 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:04 PM

View PostLorraine, on 23 February 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

View Postlifeson90, on 23 February 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

if you're a rush fan and you don't love digital man there's something wrong with you it's as simple as that in my view  :)

The reason why I started this thread is because as I was listening to the song today I remembered that some here, maybe more, didn't like the song at all.

I'm surprised to see that so many do like it.  I love the song!  :wub:  I love Alex's guitar sound in the song, and I love Geddy's bass especially.

It's a fun song to play as well.

#44 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 23 February 2015 - 05:04 PM, said:

if you're a rush fan and you don't love digital man there's something wrong with you it's as simple as that in my view  :)

The reason why I started this thread is because as I was listening to the song today I remembered that some here, maybe more, didn't like the song at all.

I'm surprised to see that so many do like it.  I love the song!  :wub:  I love Alex's guitar sound in the song, and I love Geddy's bass especially.

I was going to ask if you could play it and, if so, if it was a hard song to play.

#45 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17667 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:10 PM

Equally fun to play on the drums!

Several of Rush's reggae-influenced songs are very fun in the rhythm section. :)

#46 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostLorraine, on 23 February 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

I was going to ask if you could play it and, if so, if it was a hard song to play.

In the difficulty ratings I would give it a seven. For me the rhythm of the bass line was the more difficult thing to master over the actual notes.

#47 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:13 PM

View PostBlue J, on 23 February 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

Several of Rush's reggae-influenced songs are very fun in the rhythm section. :)
You are the second one I think on this thread to mention the reggae influence.  I don't hear it at all.  Whenever I hear that synth-sounding guitar,  I think Flock of Seagulls.  Or The Police.    Should I run and hide?

Edited by Lorraine, 23 February 2015 - 05:14 PM.

#48 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

View PostLorraine, on 23 February 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

You are the second one I think on this thread to mention the reggae influence.  I don't hear it at all.  Whenever I hear that synth-sounding guitar,  I think Flock of Seagulls.  Should I run and hide?

Some of that has to do with the snare hits being on beats two and four.

#49 Snaked

Snaked

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3339 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

You are the second one I think on this thread to mention the reggae influence.  I don't hear it at all.  Whenever I hear that synth-sounding guitar,  I think Flock of Seagulls.  Or The Police. Should I run and hide?

The rhythm is allllllll reggae.

#50 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17667 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 23 February 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 23 February 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

In the difficulty ratings I would give it a seven. For me the rhythm of the bass line was the more difficult thing to master over the actual notes.

Agreed, from the rhythm perspective. Since I've always played rock and roll, the difference between that and a reggae (or calypso, or ska) rhythm is vast- not just to do it once or twice before a change, but as a regular, repeating rhythm.

#51 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33767 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 23 February 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 23 February 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 23 February 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

Who am I?

I don't get it.  The Weapon is a much better song than Digital Man.  Why do so many people like Digital Man?  I mean, it's ok, but it's no The Weapon.  I'm listeing to it right now, and all I can think about is how much better The Weapon is.  Digital MAn is a good song, but it sucks compared to The Weapon.

Why even start that up in a thread that he hadn't even posted in (at the time you posted this)? If there's a member on the board that annoys you, why bait him into doing it MORE? I don't get that. There's enough drama here without having to go fishing for it. And remember, I've called out Zumbi for his posting style on a few occasions myself, so it's not like I'm in the habit of defending him.

And as we see, his actual post that came later was nothing like this.

I was just mocking the Jacob's Ladder thread shenanigans.  At least I didn't start a thread for The Weapon...

;)

Those shenanigans ended a week ago. I just looked. Why resurrect it a week later and disrupt a different thread?

#52 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:19 PM

View PostSnaked, on 23 February 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

You are the second one I think on this thread to mention the reggae influence.  I don't hear it at all.  Whenever I hear that synth-sounding guitar,  I think Flock of Seagulls.  Or The Police. Should I run and hide?

The rhythm is allllllll reggae.
I don't hear it.  :huh:

#53 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

Minister of Silly Walks

• Members *
  • 60952 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:22 PM

Great song, very awesome.  Signals is an underrated album.

#54 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17667 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:22 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 23 February 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

You are the second one I think on this thread to mention the reggae influence.  I don't hear it at all.  Whenever I hear that synth-sounding guitar,  I think Flock of Seagulls.  Should I run and hide?

Yes, and the kick drum on the three, during the verse.

Lorraine, it goes back and forth- a rock beat during the passage that ends "constant change is here to stay", reggae right after in the refrain "He'd love to spend the night in Zion"...your favorite part art at 3:26 is reggae, and changes to rock at 4:10.

Edited by Blue J, 23 February 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#55 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 69629 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:23 PM

Considerably worse than any song they recorded from 1977-1981 and one of two skips on Signals.

#56 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17667 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 23 February 2015 - 05:23 PM, said:

Considerably worse than any song they recorded from 1977-1981 and one of two skips on Signals.

:boo hiss:

I have to respectfully disagree. ;)

#57 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

Minister of Silly Walks

• Members *
  • 60952 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

View PostBlue J, on 23 February 2015 - 05:22 PM, said:

Lorraine, it goes back and forth- a rock beat during the passage that ends "constant change is here to stay", reggae right after in the refrain "He'd love to spend the night in Zion"...your favorite part art at 3:26 is reggae, and changes to rock at 4:10.
Neil talks of being very influenced by Stewart Copeland.  We hear reggae on a number of bits, SoR, but definitely here as you say.  Awesome stuff IMO.  And a time when we had some SPACE in the music, not too many layers and a wall of sound.  F-cking brilliant if you ask me.

#58 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

Minister of Silly Walks

• Members *
  • 60952 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

whats the other one, losing it or countdown?

#59 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

View PostBlue J, on 23 February 2015 - 05:22 PM, said:

:lol:

Good thing I can laugh at myself.  

Thank you for explaining it to me.  

What defines the change from reggae to rock at 4:10?

#60 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 69629 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

View Postlerxt1990, on 23 February 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

whats the other one, losing it or countdown?
Chemistry, though Countdown has aged poorly and I skip that a lot.

I love Losing It and never skip it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users