Digital Man

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

Poll: Digital Man (123 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the song?

1. Love it! (93 votes [75.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.61%

2. Wouldn't say I love it, but I do like it. (22 votes [17.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.89%

3. Dislike it. (8 votes [6.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.50%

4. Hate the song. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:37 PM

I didn't like Digital Man at all when Signals was first released, it was just a little too different for me (my favorite 70's hard rock band trying an 80's sound...how dare they) .  Over the years I've grown to like it and it's now one of my favorites.  Sometimes the good songs just need to age a little bit.

Sponsored Post

#22 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18670 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

Loved it the first time I heard it. Still do.

#23 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

It has one of the best beats.  A real toe tapper.

#24 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17666 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:39 PM

View PostRelayer2112, on 23 February 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

I didn't like Digital Man at all when Signals was first released, it was just a little too different for me (my favorite 70's hard rock band trying an 80's sound...how dare they) .

Did you think that specifically about Digital Man, even more so than songs like Subdivisions, The Weapon, or New World Man?

#25 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

I can't believe there are Rush fans who don't like Digital Man! One of the best Rush songs of all. Sheesh. Alex's solo alone worth the price of admission.

#26 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17666 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:02 PM

View PostLorraine, on 23 February 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

I can't find disk one to Snakes and Arrows so I can watch them do this song.

That's a shame.

I love Snakes and Arrows Live- that was first 'new' release that brought me back to Rush after my (almost 15-year) hiatus from them. I love the whole set list...Digital Man in particular, with its placement so early in the show...I just love it.

#27 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

View PostBlue J, on 23 February 2015 - 04:02 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 23 February 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

I can't find disk one to Snakes and Arrows so I can watch them do this song.

That's a shame.

I love Snakes and Arrows Live- that was first 'new' release that brought me back to Rush after my (almost 15-year) hiatus from them. I love the whole set list...Digital Man in particular, with its placement so early in the show...I just love it.
I agree that Snakes had a great set list.  I have no idea what happened to my disk, but I listened to the audio on the S&A Tour cd.  I like the studio version better.

#28 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18664 posts
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

I used to think it was only a OK song. But now I am starting to love it more and more after I have heard it on so many live albums (official ones and bootlegs).

#29 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

View PostYYZumbi, on 23 February 2015 - 04:10 PM, said:

I used to think it was only a OK song. But now I am starting to love it more and more after I have heard it on so many live albums (official ones and bootlegs).
Zumbi, what are the names of some S&A Tour bootlegs?  Maybe I have one of those and I can watch it.

#30 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24833 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:25 PM

Meh...it's ok.  I wouldn't say I dislike or like it...it's just ok.

#31 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

Like it as I voted...

#32 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33767 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 23 February 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

Who am I?

I don't get it.  The Weapon is a much better song than Digital Man.  Why do so many people like Digital Man?  I mean, it's ok, but it's no The Weapon.  I'm listeing to it right now, and all I can think about is how much better The Weapon is.  Digital MAn is a good song, but it sucks compared to The Weapon.

Why even start that up in a thread that he hadn't even posted in (at the time you posted this)? If there's a member on the board that annoys you, why bait him into doing it MORE? I don't get that. There's enough drama here without having to go fishing for it. And remember, I've called out Zumbi for his posting style on a few occasions myself, so it's not like I'm in the habit of defending him.

And as we see, his actual post that came later was nothing like this.

#33 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18670 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

I think they did a good job re-arranging "Digital Man" for the Snakes & Arrows tour.

#34 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33767 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

View PostReRushed, on 23 February 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

I think they did a good job re-arranging "Digital Man" for the Snakes & Arrows tour.

Agreed. They cut out a little dead weight.

I'm not crazy about the sequenced synth sections, but the rest is real good, especially Geddy's bass work.

#35 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24277 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 23 February 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 23 February 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

Who am I?

I don't get it.  The Weapon is a much better song than Digital Man.  Why do so many people like Digital Man?  I mean, it's ok, but it's no The Weapon.  I'm listeing to it right now, and all I can think about is how much better The Weapon is.  Digital MAn is a good song, but it sucks compared to The Weapon.

Why even start that up in a thread that he hadn't even posted in (at the time you posted this)? If there's a member on the board that annoys you, why bait him into doing it MORE? I don't get that. There's enough drama here without having to go fishing for it. And remember, I've called out Zumbi for his posting style on a few occasions myself, so it's not like I'm in the habit of defending him.

And as we see, his actual post that came later was nothing like this.

I was just mocking the Jacob's Ladder thread shenanigans.  At least I didn't start a thread for The Weapon...

;)

#36 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18670 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

I believe "Digital Man" was a major sticking point between the members of Rush and the master genius underappreciated producer Terry Brown.

#37 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1114 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

if you're a rush fan and you don't love digital man there's something wrong with you it's as simple as that in my view  :)

#38 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostReRushed, on 23 February 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

I believe "Digital Man" was a major sticking point between the members of Rush and the master genius underappreciated producer Terry Brown.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember reading something about this in Contents Under Pressure.

#39 BowlCity

BowlCity

Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

• Members *
  • 10245 posts
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostLorraine, on 23 February 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 23 February 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

Now that you mention it, I think I remember reading something about this in Contents Under Pressure.

Yes, this song in particular drove Broon to the breaking point. He wanted them to stick closer to what they did in the 70's and did not like this song at all with all its "reggae-ness". All the keyboard usage compared to the last 8 albums was probably the final straw.

#40 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

View Postlifeson90, on 23 February 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

if you're a rush fan and you don't love digital man there's something wrong with you it's as simple as that in my view  :)

The reason why I started this thread is because as I was listening to the song today I remembered that some here, maybe more, didn't like the song at all.

I'm surprised to see that so many do like it.  I love the song!  :wub:  I love Alex's guitar sound in the song, and I love Geddy's bass especially.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users