Earplugs at shows?

Gilbertk

I've been using Hearos High Fidelity series for several years now. I barely insert them and they don't block or distort any sound. Without them my hearing would deteriorate over the course of a show to the point that by the end the sound would be muddled. The Hearos have eliminated this. The last song now sounds as good as the first. They are available on Amazon. Edited by Faithless Mover

An absolute must for me. I get the foam ones from CVS. They actually help serve as a sound filter. I will take them off for certain songs just to get the full effect but no way in hell I go to a show without them, especially on the floor. Those subs will kill your ears.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you feel subwoofers through your body, rather than hearing them through your ears?

Speaking as a drummer, yes - absolutely wear ear plugs! But don't take it from me, take it from Neil (I realize this was circa 1994; he now uses in-ear or over-ear monitors as well, as was discussed during his ear infection issues on the TM tour):

http://www.andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/writing/postcards/images/pc2back.jpg

• Like 2

I do, and I prefer them now. It's so much better to not wake up to ears ringing in the morning like I did in the past. I can only imagine how much I must have damaged my hearing and am sorry I didn't do it years ago. Your hearing is worth protecting, even if it is Rush.
  • Like 1

I do, and I prefer them now. It's so much better to not wake up to ears ringing in the morning like I did in the past. I can only imagine how much I must have damaged my hearing and am sorry I didn't do it years ago. Your hearing is worth protecting, even if it is Rush.

wore em to both my Rush shows.

No shame here.

Mick

• Like 1

I have a pair of plugs like these: http://amzn.to/17vtKwp. I actually forgot them when I went to the Clockwork Angels show in DC a couple of years ago, so I stopped at Target and got some standard foam plugs. I had floor seats, and I will say that after a song or two getting used to them, the plugs made things sound a whole lot better.

I've since been to a few local shows and have used the Sonic Defenders. They definitely sound better than the foam plugs, and they're adjustable (if they're too quiet, you can remove the inner cylinder to allow more sound in).

I've played in bands and have been going to loud rock shows for 25 years, and as I sit here typing this, my chronic tinnitus is loudly reminding me that I really should have started wearing ear protection long before my late 30s.

A pair of ear plugs partially inserted can enhanced the sound at some concerts. Depending on where your seats are would determine the need. Rush usually has their sound dialed in, but you should definitely bring some plugs and try them out. I bring 4 or 5 pairs and offer them to younger fans sitting near me and most seem to enjoy the show better with earplugs.

Absolutely, bring them with you. They're cheap and you don't need them if you decide they're not needed.

One thing to note about hearing loss, it's not just the decibels but also the duration that will cause long term damage. So I've been in the habit of wearing them for the whole concert, but removing them for a favorite song.

If you wear earplus wear the foam ones.

Not the Stryrofoam ones. They are more flexible.

Have had to wear them periodically for work.

You learn what kinds to get.

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get construction ones.

More comfortable than the CVS kind

Well this was good to know.

I'm dead set on taking my oldest son to the show and for him, he will have kid head set gear. I do want him to hear the concert but not damage his hearing. I'm also going to wear something this time around. Never was too concerned about my hearing before but now I am. I want to preserve what little I have left!

Never, EVER would I recommend ear plugs at a Rush concert!

Then you probably haven't sat close to the stage in front of the speakers. :)

Arena shows, it's just foolish to not wear plugs if you're within 20 rows of the stage on all sides.

I typically wear earplugs. For me they help to block out echos coming back from behind me. I don't use the squishy foam ones. They just make it sound like you're under water. The ones I use are similar to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-FUS30-HP-Earplug-Hearpack/dp/B0037F92RC/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_y

Yeah, after many trial and errors sessions, I just couldn't get used to the 'Xmas tree' plugs. They were always pretty uncomfortable and I found there was negligible difference between those and the foam plugs. Foam plugs are more comfortable, and you can 'adjust' them 1/2 in or out accordingly.

Arena shows, it's just foolish to not wear plugs if you're within 20 rows of the stage on all sides.

Since Rush doesn't use stack onstage there isn't as much noise coming directly off the stage in the center. Most of the amps have been to the sides and hung overhead. So if you're in the first row or two it's not all that loud. Yeah, the subs are there under the stage, but earplugs aren't going to block them.

• Like 1

Fracking Ticket Master fixed that problem for me...bastards!

;)

Generally, Rush might be a group you could skip ear protection

But, If your in the right place, like mentioned , It's gonna be louder than expected :haz:

&

If you already have permanent damage, LIKE ME :rage:

Or, your OLDER, your gonna be more susceptible to damage, even if you don't have the 24/7 tinnitus BUZZ yet.

Never, EVER tell somebody they don't need protection just because you've gotten lucky without so far......just bad advice. :tsk:

Here is the break down of what caused my head to ring/buzz 24/7

Rock Concerts (1979 - 1985 ) before regular use of protection

Brothers whistle ( usually @ rock concerts )

Grand Prix & Indy car race's

Large caliber guns

Home stereo

Car stereo

1st wife

:D

• Like 1

Here is the break down of what caused my head to ring/buzz 24/7

Rock Concerts (1981 - 1990 ) before becoming lame and bailing on arena rock shows

Ignoring the sign that reads Wear Hearing Protection on the Air Field for 20 years

Large caliber guns

Car stereo

Current wife

;)

Lately I've started to wear one in my left ear, but not the right. I do this when I am playing drums, as well. Oddly enough, it seems to balance itself nicely this way. I usually take the pair anyway just in case I get fatigue, which in an indoor venue sometimes happens.

The Pepsi Center sound was very, very harsh last time.