Old Heads!!! countdown video

nicky6

Yes I remember . I also remember the tease at the top of the hour where the VJ would say which videos would play that hour. Only once or twice they would say Rush. Then you had to sit there....watching stupid videos and enduring the endless commercial breaks. they would eventually play rush about 45-50 min into the hour. Thank god for VCRs . yah great times siting there with your finger hovering over the record button on the remote.

In Canada we, of course, had Muchmusic. Countdown and a lot of other more obscure Rush videos got a lot of airplay, partially because it was Rush and partially because they needed to show a certain percentage of Canadian material to satisfy the CRTC.

I always preferred Muchmusic to the bits of MTV I saw on friend's dishes back then, it seemed more down-to-earth in presentation than it's American forerunner.

• Like 1

Countdown's a kickass song, I don't care what Geddy has said about it in the past or when people regard it as a weak song on Signals. Great tune with a ripping keyboard solo at the end :haz:

I love Countdown! For years Subdivisions and it were the only two songs from Signals I'd listen to (I've since grown to love the entire album). What has Geddy said about it?

I've got to admit that MTV actually fostered alot of my early Rush fandom - midnight showings of Exit Stage Left (circa 1982), frequent videos from that concert, Subdivisions (Tempest!), Countdown, Distant Early Warning (1984), The P/G concert (simulcast with radio stations across the country) followed by the premiere of the video for The Big Money, Mystic Rhythms, Time Stand Still (horrid video...)

I wonder what was the most recently released Rush video that MTV ever aired was? Was Driven or Half the World ever on there?

In Canada we, of course, had Muchmusic. Countdown and a lot of other more obscure Rush videos got a lot of airplay, partially because it was Rush and partially because they needed to show a certain percentage of Canadian material to satisfy the CRTC.

I always preferred Muchmusic to the bits of MTV I saw on friend's dishes back then, it seemed more down-to-earth in presentation than it's American forerunner.

Actually, wasn't Distant Early Warning the first video they showed on MuchMusic?

EDIT: Checked, after "an early music-to-film synchronization short from the 1920s which featured Eubie Blake performing Snappy Songs" (???) it was actually "The Enemy Within."

EDIT #2: Here's footage!

Edited by gudbuytjane

Wait until Lorraine sees this thread.

Countdown was track 8 , or Side 2, song 4 for a reason.

I remember living in England in the early 90's and seeing a "Countdown" single lp in a Loughborough record store. It had a photo of the Columbia taking off on the cover. My 19-year old self just didn't see the value in it. My 40-year old self does. My 40-year old self would also like kick my 19-year old self's ass every now and then.