Antony And The Johnstons

madra sneachta

For the past few days, I've been listening a lot to I Am A Bird Now, the new album from Antony And The Johnsons.

Lots of jazz and flute, and a voice I can only describe as compelling and beautifully fragile. The lyrics are fascinating, going in very strange directions. It's been nominated for the Mercury Music Prize in the UK, for which Kaiser Chiefs are the favourites (although I'd bet on Bloc Party's 'Silent Alarm').

This is definitely on my personal short list for album of the year, and I suspect this is one album which could be on the verge of becoming massive. If anyone is a member of e-music, it's available there with no restrictions.

bumper.gif because this is the only thread on the whole page with zero replies, and that's way worse than being a thread killer.

Prediction - In six months time, the whole world will be praising these guys as the saviours of music, and I'll bump this again and say "I told you so".

Then again, the last time I made a prediction like this was with the Polyphonic Spree. How right was that???????? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 9 2005, 02:26 AM)
For the past few days, I've been listening a lot to I Am A Bird Now, the new album from Antony And The Johnsons.

Lots of jazz and flute, and a voice I can only describe as compelling and beautifully fragile.

I just downloaded a song and your description of their music is right on.

I tend to listen heavier music, but theres a time and aplace for everything.

I used to listen to a lot of the Waterboys, and have most of their discs.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 9 2005, 12:26 AM)

Lots of jazz and flute, and a voice I can only describe as compelling and beautifully fragile. The lyrics are fascinating, going in very strange directions. It's been nominated for the Mercury Music Prize in the UK, for which Kaiser Chiefs are the favourites (although I'd bet on Bloc Party's 'Silent Alarm').

This is definitely on my personal short list for album of the year, and I suspect this is one album which could be on the verge of becoming massive. If anyone is a member of e-music, it's available there with no restrictions.

Sorry Mad, I'm off on vacation and dont have too much time to be on the computer right now. As soon as I get back I will check this band out, you've so far had quite a respectable taste in music so if you say something is worth checking out, I will take your word for it.

Archived