Mayweather vs Pacquiao finally signed, May 2 Las Vegas!!!

treeduck

I grew up loving boxing during the 70's and 80's. So many great fights and fighters. Unfortunately boxing as a sport went into a big decline for several reasons:

1. Don King.

2. The explosion of the various sanctioning bodies. Need a score card to track them all. The WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF - and on and on. I long for the days where their was one champ per division.

3. Boxing moving all of its fights off free TV and on to cable and PPV. I long for days of ABC's Wide World of Sports and The CBS Sports Spectacular. Grew up watching great fights live on those on Saturday and Sunday afternoon's. Plus sometimes tape delayed broadcasts of fights which had been on PPV. But at least I got to see them. Plus sometimes their would be a big fight on at night.

Once the fights were no longer on free TV (even a tape delayed version) I just lost interest. Some other sports (the NBA & NFL) would be well advised to avoid this pattern - although they are already starting to go down this road.

4. Bad decisions. Leonard, who I never liked should not have been let near Hagler. He had never fought as a middleweight and had not fought in a couple of years. For him to be jumped in the rankings was pathetic. He should have been forced to fight a couple of fights against top 10 middleweights first. Then he could have had his shot - if he had won those fights. The decision in that fight was just horrible. Hagler was robbed and this turned me off to boxing as well.

Will not watch this fight but am very interested. I think Floyd will win but am hoping Many wins. Esp. after seeing film tonight of Larry Merchants run in with Floyd. Rather memorable.

Hope that boxing as a sport could come back - I would like it to and I could see myself following it again.

By the way, the numerous weight classes don't bother me. I always felt their were gaps between some of the divisions which were to large and they needed to be filled in.

You had me at "I grew up loving boxing during the 70's and 80's". I wouldn't waste my time anymore and certainly not my money...

I am confused. So are you saying that you did not like it even back in the 70's?? Or are you saying that you did but my reason #3 applies to you??

What I was saying is that I loved boxing as a youth in the 70's and a small portion of the 80's and it died and I honestly don't care why. I just know it did... :)

You loved everything back in the 70's, you need to build a time machine and then every time you get to 1979 you can jump in and send yourself back to 1970 again!

• Like 3

I grew up loving boxing during the 70's and 80's. So many great fights and fighters. Unfortunately boxing as a sport went into a big decline for several reasons:

1. Don King.

2. The explosion of the various sanctioning bodies. Need a score card to track them all. The WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF - and on and on. I long for the days where their was one champ per division.

3. Boxing moving all of its fights off free TV and on to cable and PPV. I long for days of ABC's Wide World of Sports and The CBS Sports Spectacular. Grew up watching great fights live on those on Saturday and Sunday afternoon's. Plus sometimes tape delayed broadcasts of fights which had been on PPV. But at least I got to see them. Plus sometimes their would be a big fight on at night.

Once the fights were no longer on free TV (even a tape delayed version) I just lost interest. Some other sports (the NBA & NFL) would be well advised to avoid this pattern - although they are already starting to go down this road.

4. Bad decisions. Leonard, who I never liked should not have been let near Hagler. He had never fought as a middleweight and had not fought in a couple of years. For him to be jumped in the rankings was pathetic. He should have been forced to fight a couple of fights against top 10 middleweights first. Then he could have had his shot - if he had won those fights. The decision in that fight was just horrible. Hagler was robbed and this turned me off to boxing as well.

Will not watch this fight but am very interested. I think Floyd will win but am hoping Many wins. Esp. after seeing film tonight of Larry Merchants run in with Floyd. Rather memorable.

Hope that boxing as a sport could come back - I would like it to and I could see myself following it again.

By the way, the numerous weight classes don't bother me. I always felt their were gaps between some of the divisions which were to large and they needed to be filled in.

You had me at "I grew up loving boxing during the 70's and 80's". I wouldn't waste my time anymore and certainly not my money...

I am confused. So are you saying that you did not like it even back in the 70's?? Or are you saying that you did but my reason #3 applies to you??

What I was saying is that I loved boxing as a youth in the 70's and a small portion of the 80's and it died and I honestly don't care why. I just know it did... :)

You loved everything back in the 70's, you need to build a time machine and then every time you get to 1979 you can jump in and send yourself back to 1970 again!

Wish I had one of those!

• Like 1

Pac-Man having shoulder surgery. It sure is luck that he didn't try and get healthy before the fight...he might have lost $100 million!

Lots of idiots over here screaming that Pacquiao won, including a Guardian sportswriter. The fight was always going to pan out the way it did and a heavy points win for Mayweather inevitable - I could only see a Mayweather points win unless Pacquiao did the unlikely and stopped him. I don't like the guy and part of me wants someone to destroy him in the ring but he's a supreme boxer, if a tad boring.

I had it 7 rounds to 3 with 2 even.

I had it 6-6. I guess I don't place enough weight on running away and smiling after you get punched.

• Like 1

Floyd Mayweather says he's open to idea of fighting Manny Pacquiao again.

Really big of him to accept more cash like that

Lots of idiots over here screaming that Pacquiao won, including a Guardian sportswriter. The fight was always going to pan out the way it did and a heavy points win for Mayweather inevitable - I could only see a Mayweather points win unless Pacquiao did the unlikely and stopped him. I don't like the guy and part of me wants someone to destroy him in the ring but he's a supreme boxer, if a tad boring.

I had it 6-6. I guess I don't place enough weight on running away and smiling after you get punched.

It doesn't matter how you do it it's who is landing punches that wins the fight. Mayweather landed 3 times as many punches as Pac. Pac landed flush about 5 times in the fight with his straight left, he didn't land his jab or his right hook hardly at all. it's no use being aggressive if you don't land punches.

Even in the 4th round when Pac landed a good straight left and seemed to stun Floyd, Floyd covered up and Pac threw a fast combination, most of the punches missed or were blocked, and May shook his head and beckoned him in, Pac tried again but after that he backed off because he hasn't got an inside game, he's not a big inside hooker or body puncher and he couldn't open up on a guy who simply covered up. Pac needs to reset again to fire the straight left, which he had trouble landing. Pac couldn't get past Floyd's jab for 90% of the fight and Floyd was dropping his hands right in front of him as early as the first round. After that first round you knew it would be a typical Mayweather fight. Even when Pac did land he couldn't seriously hurt Floyd and yet Arum and Roach said Pac would be able to knock him out if he hit him.

• Like 1

You can bet they will do this again once the Pacman recovers from this injury and surgery. Boxing has a way spinning so the suckers out there will bite again. Oh on that Hagler vs Leonard fight was fixed.....has anyone ever noticed Hagler NEVER fought again after that fight. He was paid $100 million cash to through that fight by mobsters who threatened his family. They won $300 million placing bets just before the fight...check it it's true.

It doesn't matter how you do it it's who is landing punches that wins the fight. Mayweather landed 3 times as many punches as Pac. Pac landed flush about 5 times in the fight with his straight left, he didn't land his jab or his right hook hardly at all. it's no use being aggressive if you don't land punches.

Even in the 4th round when Pac landed a good straight left and seemed to stun Floyd, Floyd covered up and Pac threw a fast combination, most of the punches missed or were blocked, and May shook his head and beckoned him in, Pac tried again but after that he backed off because he hasn't got an inside game, he's not a big inside hooker or body puncher and he couldn't open up on a guy who simply covered up. Pac needs to reset again to fire the straight left, which he had trouble landing. Pac couldn't get past Floyd's jab for 90% of the fight and Floyd was dropping his hands right in front of him as early as the first round. After that first round you knew it would be a typical Mayweather fight. Even when Pac did land he couldn't seriously hurt Floyd and yet Arum and Roach said Pac would be able to knock him out if he hit him.

The difference in punches landed was less than 2-1, almost all in jabs. Yes, Maywather had a good defense, but he never looked like he hurt Pac, but the opposite didn't seem to be true to me.

You can bet they will do this again once the Pacman recovers from this injury and surgery. Boxing has a way spinning so the suckers out there will bite again. Oh on that Hagler vs Leonard fight was fixed.....has anyone ever noticed Hagler NEVER fought again after that fight. He was paid $100 million cash to through that fight by mobsters who threatened his family. They won $300 million placing bets just before the fight...check it it's true.

There's no way he threw that fight. He was the aggressor, won more later rounds, and lost by the narrowest of margins in most people's eyes.

There's no way he threw that fight. He was the aggressor, won more later rounds, and lost by the narrowest of margins in most people's eyes.

I agree but try and look real close at that fight and you can see at least 5 different times MH held back on throwing more devastating punches. Just watch it and you'll see what I'm talking about. Hagler hated Leonard and wanted to kill him but when tough guys hold your family ransom you take the money. One hundred million is a ton of money TODAY, you can see why he NEVER needed to fight ever again. Oh if it's possible check the betting slips that went down just before the fight and you'll have an idea what I'm talking about.

Also many right now are NOT going to be interested in May-Pac II BUT boxing has a way to pull the suckers in with heavy promotion. They WILL fight again, a year from now most of this anger will have subsided. That fight will be THE FIGHT to see because they will rumble if both are healthy, the interest won't be as strong the first fight.

Damn I never knew it took so long to recover from rotator cuff surgery, that's almost as bad as a torn Achilles.

I agree but try and look real close at that fight and you can see at least 5 different times MH held back on throwing more devastating punches. Just watch it and you'll see what I'm talking about. Hagler hated Leonard and wanted to kill him but when tough guys hold your family ransom you take the money. One hundred million is a ton of money TODAY, you can see why he NEVER needed to fight ever again. Oh if it's possible check the betting slips that went down just before the fight and you'll have an idea what I'm talking about.

Also many right now are NOT going to be interested in May-Pac II BUT boxing has a way to pull the suckers in with heavy promotion. They WILL fight again, a year from now most of this anger will have subsided. That fight will be THE FIGHT to see because they will rumble if both are healthy, the interest won't be as strong the first fight.

Damn I never knew it took so long to recover from rotator cuff surgery, that's almost as bad as a torn Achilles.

I don't know, man. It would seem if the situation were really that dire, you'd want to get yourself knocked out. That was way too close a fight.

The difference in punches landed was less than 2-1, almost all in jabs. Yes, Maywather had a good defense, but he never looked like he hurt Pac, but the opposite didn't seem to be true to me.

Mayweather won rounds Pac didn't. I could only score rounds 4 and 6 to Pac, maybe he shared the 8th maybe he own one more but that is being generous. I had it 10-2 for May.

Mayweather won rounds Pac didn't. I could only score rounds 4 and 6 to Pac, maybe he shared the 8th maybe he own one more but that is being generous. I had it 10-2 for May.

I think I had 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 10 for Pac. 11 could have gone either way, IIRC.

I think I had 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 10 for Pac. 11 could have gone either way, IIRC.

How can you score for a guy who is not landing punches and is taking punches? He ate Floyd's jab and straight right most of the time.