Recoding Video On MacBook Pro takes ages compared to Windows Laptop

Tony R

I've owned a 13" Macbook Pro Retina for about 12 months and it was my first foray into Mac OS and Apple Computers.

Previously I owned Windows based laptops and used to do quite a lot of video file conversion often from HD files 6gb and above and my last i7 core 8gb Ram notebook on windows7 was very fast (relatively) at recoding and creating BluRays or DVD (it had a BD writer drive too). My disatisfaction with Windows OS and horror at Windows 8 led me to replace my laptop (and give it away) and choose a 13" MacBook Pro with an i7 processor and 16gb of ram.

Right, enough waffle, to my issue: my MacBook takes as much as 2 or 3 times as long to do the same recoding burning jobs my windows laptop did previously. I have used Toast Titanium and other apps and all seem to take "forever". Am I missing a trick? Am I doing something wrong? Surely this isn't "just the way it is with Mac OS"?

Anybody have any ideas? I've done the usual trawling through Mac forums for answers but don't want to join one and ask a question only to be told that I should search, or have some spotty nerd talk smack to me.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tony R

Maybe you went from a quad core i7 in your windows machine to a dual core in you Mac. Depending on the software your using, you could have cut your processing power in half. I recently bought a new (2014) Mac Mini. It has a dual core processor. Its single core performance is better than the 2012 quad core model, but its multi core performance is worse.

Maybe you went from a quad core i7 in your windows machine to a dual core in you Mac. Depending on the software your using, you could have cut your processing power in half. I recently bought a new (2014) Mac Mini. It has a dual core processor. Its single core performance is better than the 2012 quad core model, but its multi core performance is worse.

Interesting. I'll look into that.

Could be write speed of the superdrive. Mac is moving avawy from optical media to the point that newer MBP's do not even have an optical drive installed.