On season 6 of ST:TNG

D3strukt

So i'm on Episode 21 of Season 6, getting close towards the end of The Next Generation, and wanted to know everyones opinion.

Should I go with Deep Space 9 next? or Voyager. (I watched the Pilot of DS9, and didn't care much, however I didn't like Encounter at Farpoint in TNG either.)

I'm with ReRushed. DS9 starts off slow but season 3 it starts picking up speed. When the Dominion comes in it becomes absolutely spectacular. For me it's my favourite Star Trek series.

Voyager starts off okay and quickly becomes abysmal. It relies heavily on technobabble unlike anything you've ever seen. The cast is bland, the actors are horrible. It does have a handful of episodes which are genuinely quite good, but you can cherry pick all 8 or so of them. The icing on the cake is that it rewrites a decent amount of canon including neutering the borg and making them completely trivial as antagonists. I'd like to pretend Voyager never happened.

• Like 1

Like Next Generation you'll find DS9 gets really good after season 3. I'm revisiting the last two seasons of both shows. I can't seem to get the motivation to revisit Voyager. The last season of Enterprise was also good.

DS9 by a mile. I don't think it started that slow but I think with any series that you're learning who the characters are that there's a certain break in period. I didn't really care for Voyager and one of the reasons is that I can't stand Kate Mulgrew. She was a horrible choice for a captain,IMO.
  • Like 1

I'm with ReRushed. DS9 starts off slow but season 3 it starts picking up speed. When the Dominion comes in it becomes absolutely spectacular. For me it's my favourite Star Trek series.

Voyager starts off okay and quickly becomes abysmal. It relies heavily on technobabble unlike anything you've ever seen. The cast is bland, the actors are horrible. It does have a handful of episodes which are genuinely quite good, but you can cherry pick all 8 or so of them. The icing on the cake is that it rewrites a decent amount of canon including neutering the borg and making them completely trivial as antagonists. I'd like to pretend Voyager never happened.

I can't stand what Voyager did with the Borg. They were ruined.

Really, I have already forgotten, what happened? Fortunately the Borg were pretty bad ass last night while watch First Contact yet again. Edited by JohnRogers

Really, I have already forgotten, what happened? Fortunately the Borg were pretty bad ass last night while watch First Contact yet again.

Borg queen is one of the big ones. One of the reasons the Borg were so threatening was that if you take one out, any other Borg can replace it without much issue.

Voyager also casually disables entire fleets of bBrg ships every two or three episodes later in the series. The Borg become a complete joke.

Voyager also casually disables entire fleets of bBrg ships every two or three episodes later in the series. The Borg become a complete joke.

Where is the Dislike button?

Here's exactly what my daughter and I have been doing for the past year or so:

Started her on TNG seasons 3 through 7 in order, then went right to Season 1 of DS9 and are currently on season 6 of that show. The last one we saw was a great Worf / Dax one called "Change of heart".

Voyager.... well, it's sad but it's such an inconsistent and terrible show I don't even think we'll watch it after DS9 ends.

*P.S: I started at TNG season 3 because that was the first really consistently good season for that show, and went all the way through with DS9 because each season is very good to excellent IMO. Some of the earlier DS9's are fantastic in fact.

• Like 1

Really, I have already forgotten, what happened? Fortunately the Borg were pretty bad ass last night while watch First Contact yet again.

They just used them way too much. The Borg should have been TNG's main villans and not went to Voyager (and later, Enterprise).

Thank God DS9 never had them on it.

*P.S: I started at TNG season 3 because that was the first really consistently good season for that show, and went all the way through with DS9 because each season is very good to excellent IMO. Some of the earlier DS9's are fantastic in fact.

^^^^^This, there are many early DS9 gems...not so much before season three of NG.

• Like 1

Borg queen is one of the big ones. One of the reasons the Borg were so threatening was that if you take one out, any other Borg can replace it without much issue.

The Federation's ENTIRE fleet of starships could barely survive a Borg attack. One little ship, all by its lonesome, has no problem dealing with them. Ruined.

Like Next Generation you'll find DS9 gets really good after season 3.

Season 2 of TNG was gold. One of the best seasons of the whole series.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I sampled it and just couldn't get into it. If you will name three episodes from season two that stand out, I'll fire up Netflix and give them a look see.

The Federation's ENTIRE fleet of starships could barely survive a Borg attack. One little ship, all by its lonesome, has no problem dealing with them. Ruined.

In fairness, Borg ship in TNG was ultimately taken down by one ship- the Enterprise. Also, Voyager didn't engage in much direct conventional combat with the Borg.

But I agree, Voyager watered down the Borg pretty badly.

In fairness, Borg ship in TNG was ultimately taken down by one ship- the Enterprise. Also, Voyager didn't engage in much direct conventional combat with the Borg.

But I agree, Voyager watered down the Borg pretty badly.

Yeah, but it got to the point with Voyager that the Borg weren't even a threat. All in all, Voyager never got a serious villian of its own.

Like Next Generation you'll find DS9 gets really good after season 3.

Season 2 of TNG was gold. One of the best seasons of the whole series.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I sampled it and just couldn't get into it. If you will name three episodes from season two that stand out, I'll fire up Netflix and give them a look see.

1- The Measure of a Man (s2 e9)

A bit of a slower, procedural episode. Deeply philosophical. Great Patrick Stewart speech. Tackles the question "what defines a person" beautifully. Arguably the best episode of TNG, if the moral parables are your thing.

2- Contagion (s2 e11)

More action packed and mysterious. Great Enterprise v Romulan plot. Very fun episode with a lot of interesting background.

3- Q Who (s2 e16)

Everyone loves a good Q episode, especially back when Q was still somewhat ominous. This also marks the first appearance of the Borg.

4- Peak Performance (s2 e21)

A fun episode that pits Riker against Picard in war games, all while Data has a great character developing plot of his own. Not generally the most memorable episode, but a very solid entry the same.

5- The Emissary (s2 e20)

A great defining moment for Worf, establishing his relationship with Alexander's mother, who is a great character in her own right. Altogether a fantastic Klingon episode.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

3- Q Who (s2 e16)

Everyone loves a good Q episode, especially back when Q was still somewhat ominous. This also marks the first appearance of the Borg.

This sounds very familiar and would be a series high point, I have the Q Fan Collective DVD set. Thanks I'll check these out.

Voyager also casually disables entire fleets of Borg ships every two or three episodes later in the series. The Borg become a complete joke.

I think that's an exaggerration. The Borg never even showed up until the last episode of Season 3 ("Scorpion"). It was Species 8472 that was laying waste to the Borg in Season 3-4. From then on, Voyager had occasional encounters with the Borg, but never a full battle until the series finale, when Admiral Janeway came from the future with advanced weaponry and shield technology.

IMO, Voyager went down the tubes the moment they made Jeri Ryan (and her large, beautiful breasts) the focal point of the series.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Voyager also casually disables entire fleets of Borg ships every two or three episodes later in the series. The Borg become a complete joke.

I think that's an exaggerration. The Borg never even showed up until the last episode of Season 3 ("Scorpion"). It was Species 8472 that was laying waste to the Borg in Season 3-4. From then on, Voyager had occasional encounters with the Borg, but never a full battle until the series finale, when Admiral Janeway came from the future with advanced weaponry and shield technology.

IMO, Voyager went down the tubes the moment they made Jeri Ryan (and her large, beautiful breasts) the focal point of the series.

I haven't watched voyager in years. Nor do I ever plan to again. I remember them consistently boarding and disabling borg ships like they were nothing. Every encounter with the borg, especially in later seasons is a joke. Even with species 8472 it feels like Voyager consistently had some sort of upper hand. It didn't feel like they were really being threatened beyond the first encounter or two.

Just want to throw this out there, but I've always felt it was a damn shame that TNG only had 6 seasons. Never a bad episode, unless we're talking about Angel One. :LOL:

I haven't watched voyager in years. Nor do I ever plan to again. I remember them consistently boarding and disabling borg ships like they were nothing. Every encounter with the borg, especially in later seasons is a joke. Even with species 8472 it feels like Voyager consistently had some sort of upper hand. It didn't feel like they were really being threatened beyond the first encounter or two.

I rewatched the whole series recently, and I was surprised to find that the first few years of Voyager were actually pretty good. There were some subplots surrounding the Kazon arc that I was pleasantly surprised by on a more mature viewing.

Agreed. They tried too hard to re-create the Data-Picard bromance as a Seven-Janeway sisterhood... At times it got downright slash-ficcy.