2015 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

What a difference a day makes! A's get five in the 7th, Three in the 8th for nine total against the Halos!

Don't worry Angels, it'll get better. ..just throw more money at it!

• Like 1

What a difference a day makes! A's get five in the 7th, Three in the 8th for nine total against the Halos!

Don't worry Angels, it'll get better. ..just throw more money at it!

What fascinates me about the Angels isn't that they pay out so much (they aren't the only team guilty of that), but who they pay out to. Specifically, I am talking about Pujols and Hamilton.

Any person who understands baseball and aging and aging baseball players knew the Angels were quite literally getting a fraction of the St. Louis Cardinals' Pujols for more than twice the cost. And Albert sure has proven the point.

http://www.baseball-...pujolal01.shtml

Albert's last year in St. Louis was the first year he dipped below a .300 average (granted, at .299) and the first year he dipped below 100 RBI (granted, at 99). It was also the first time since his rookie year he dipped below 70 BB. Keep in mind this was a guy who, for about six years prior, was good for the range of .330, 40 HR, 110 RBI, and 100 BB.

Did the Angels just flat ignore logic and history and believe 2011 was an anomaly, rather than the very real example that Albert is, indeed, human? Yep. If you doubt that, I can give you 240 million pieces of evidence the Angels just lost their minds.

And since going to LA, Albert is more in the range of .275, 30 HR, 100 RBI, and 45 BB. Are those terrible numbers? No. They are solid, especially when you consider the injury plagued 2013 campaign, and pretty close to All-Star numbers. But they aren't a quarter of a billion dollar contract numbers. And, really, if time and data proved the aging Pujols isn't worth the money in the first 4 years of his deal in LA, what will his last 4 years look like? Again, they paid a boatload of money to get a fraction (currently about 75% of his prior dominance) player.

Sure, sure. I know. Some Angel fans argue Albert is a marketing ploy and puts butts in seats. That argument *might* work if he was playing in a market that was really a diehard baseball market.

And then there is signing Hamilton..... at least Albert's issues are just time and age. Hamilton was just an awful signing all around.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

The Cardinals pulled their typical modus operandi, blowing the first game of a three-game set and winning the next two. If they can do that all season, they'll go deep into the playoffs.
  • Like 1

Cubs split the Pirates series 2-2. On the road, that's not bad at all. But today could have easily made it 3-1 if Russell paid attention at second base and Schlitter actually played well. Hendricks pitched a great game today.

Cubs split the Pirates series 2-2. On the road, that's not bad at all. But today could have easily made it 3-1 if Russell paid attention at second base and Schlitter actually played well. Hendricks pitched a great game today.

Jackson was back to his old self, and Schlitter sucked again. Disappointed in today's game, couldn't do anything with the Pittsburgh pen.

Jackson was back to his old self, and Schlitter sucked again. Disappointed in today's game, couldn't do anything with the Pittsburgh pen.

The last few games have ended the same. It starts off great for the first half, with Herrera getting a triple and 2 RBI, but then it gets awful as soon as the starting pitcher retires cause the bullpen tries as hard as it can to throw the game away. Sometimes we'll get lucky and have someone knock it out of the park, tonight and last night were not the case.

The Cardinals pulled their typical modus operandi, blowing the first game of a three-game set and winning the next two. If they can do that all season, they'll go deep into the playoffs.

I would be very happy if they could keep that up all season, but I doubt it. There will be ups and downs, peaks and valleys, streaks and slumps. It's baseball. 162 games of glorious St. Louis Cardinals baseball.

My biggest concern this year is the same concern I had last year: The health of one single player.... Yadi. He makes the Cardinal world go 'round. He keeps the pitching staff sound. He is the field general. He *is* the St. Louis Cardinals during this recent stretch of greatness.

Cardinal fans can still grumble and such about Albert leaving for SoCal, but Albert leaving gave our club the opportunity to keep the real MVP under contract.

• Like 1

Word is the Angels are about to ship Hamilton back to Texas. Texas will reportedly be on the hook for $15M of the $83M owed Hamilton (meaning the Angels are paying Josh Hamilton $68M to go away).

This leaves two questions in my mind:

1) How is Hamilton going to manage the fact he talked tremendous trash about Ranger fans as he left?

2) How quickly do you think the Yankees speed dialed the Rangers to see if they can get Texas to take A-Rod back, as well?

• Like 1

Word is the Angels are about to ship Hamilton back to Texas. Texas will reportedly be on the hook for $15M of the $83M owed Hamilton (meaning the Angels are paying Josh Hamilton $68M to go away).

1) How is Hamilton going to manage the fact he talked tremendous trash about Ranger fans as he left?

2) How quickly do you think the Yankees speed dialed the Rangers to see if they can get Texas to take A-Rod back, as well?

I am seriously sick of this town's sports teams. :facepalm:

I'm having a really hard time understanding the logic behind this move. He's proven himself to be a liability, and the Rangers want him back? Does Jon Daniels not have enough drama in his life?

I'm having a really hard time understanding the logic behind this move. He's proven himself to be a liability, and the Rangers want him back? Does Jon Daniels not have enough drama in his life?

I think they're in desperation mode. Not sure if this will work but apparently the players he's replacing are awful.

Adam Wainwright expected to miss rest of the season due to injury. Not good for Cardinals fans...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12768740/adam-wainwright-st-louis-cardinals-goes-disabled-list-left-ankle-injury?ex_cid=bbtnFacebook

Meanwhile, the Cubs should try to make a move for 1st place...

Adam Wainwright expected to miss rest of the season due to injury. Not good for Cardinals fans...

http://espn.go.com/m...id=bbtnFacebook

Like what? Theo and Jed need to keep their eyes on the prize, the long term future of the franchise. If they can make moves without depleting the depth of young players who could make up the core of a contending team for years to come, that's fine but don't give away young talent.

Like what? Theo and Jed need to keep their eyes on the prize, the long term future of the franchise. If they can make moves without depleting the depth of young players who could make up the core of a contending team for years to come, that's fine but don't give away young talent.

Agreed. The Cubs still need to play the long game. If anything, this gives Pitt, maybe Milwaukee, more a reason to make a move.

Losing Wainwright sucks for my team. *Sucks*. He's a gamer and a clubhouse leader. The good news is he will still be around the clubhouse and he will take on a coaching role for the younger pitchers. The bad news is his WAR has hovered in the range of +5 the last 5 seasons. This means a Cardinal club with an eye on needing 90 wins to take the division just dropped to a statistical potential of 85 without Waino.

85 games, though, could still win the NL Central. And the WAR does not take into account Yadier Molina is still.... Lord I pray for the length of the season.... healthy. Yadi could single handedly improve the -5 situation through his field leadership.

As much as losing the staff ace for the year sucks, the Cardinals are in an enviable position in that it doesn't fundamentally sink them. Like it or not, NL Central, St. Louis is still the defending division champ and they will likely still be in the mix all season so long as this is the only major injury that befalls the team.

I think they're in desperation mode. Not sure if this will work but apparently the players he's replacing are awful.

The trade-off being upstanding guys who play like crap in exchange for a not-always-upstanding guy who sometimes, sorta, kinda, when he wants to, plays really f'ing good. From what I'm reading, the Rangers who know him are fully supportive of him returning. BUT... they are not the fans he trashed and verbally shit on upon departure. And, the contract stipulations are interesting, as well. It's all about the state income tax, baby:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/25/report-rangers-will-pay-josh-hamilton-less-than-7-million-deal-includes-opt-out-after-two-years/

The trade-off being upstanding guys who play like crap in exchange for a not-always-upstanding guy who sometimes, sorta, kinda, when he wants to, plays really f'ing good. From what I'm reading, the Rangers who know him are fully supportive of him returning. BUT... they are not the fans he trashed and verbally shit on upon departure. And, the contract stipulations are interesting, as well. It's all about the state income tax, baby:

http://hardballtalk....fter-two-years/

Personally, I wouldn't want the guy. He can't be trusted. Better to tear things down and start from scratch. Hamilton isn't going to get you to the playoffs, and if he can't, what's the point?

Agreed. The Cubs still need to play the long game. If anything, this gives Pitt, maybe Milwaukee, more a reason to make a move.

Losing Wainwright sucks for my team. *Sucks*. He's a gamer and a clubhouse leader. The good news is he will still be around the clubhouse and he will take on a coaching role for the younger pitchers. The bad news is his WAR has hovered in the range of +5 the last 5 seasons. This means a Cardinal club with an eye on needing 90 wins to take the division just dropped to a statistical potential of 85 without Waino.

85 games, though, could still win the NL Central. And the WAR does not take into account Yadier Molina is still.... Lord I pray for the length of the season.... healthy. Yadi could single handedly improve the -5 situation through his field leadership.

As much as losing the staff ace for the year sucks, the Cardinals are in an enviable position in that it doesn't fundamentally sink them. Like it or not, NL Central, St. Louis is still the defending division champ and they will likely still be in the mix all season so long as this is the only major injury that befalls the team.

Do the Cardinals ever replace anyone on their pitching staff with replacement level pitchers? If they do this time, it'll be the first. It's always next man up, and the next man up is maddeningly good. Where this hurts is if he can't pitch in the playoffs, having him out there 2 games a series is of great comfort.

Do the Cardinals ever replace anyone on their pitching staff with replacement level pitchers? If they do this time, it'll be the first. It's always next man up, and the next man up is maddeningly good. Where this hurts is if he can't pitch in the playoffs, having him out there 2 games a series is of great comfort.

True enough. Bumping Wacha up to the primary guy in the post season is not the same as Wainwright (especially without that 1-2 punch of both). The interesting piece will be the timeline to return. Does season ending truly mean the season? Or does it mean he can start throwing again in September? If so, does he get enough bullpen and simulation time (no opportunity to pitch in the minors in September) to be potentially ready for the post-season? If he can somehow go in the post-season, does he get rostered as a starter or in the 'pen?

The organization, does, to your point, always seem to be loaded with talent. Even though, in 2007 and 2008, back to back years the team lost Carp, they did not make the post season they had winning records. Those were years the division was stronger, so it's not apples to apples.

I would not put it past the Rangers to hope the return on Hamilton will simply put butts in seats.... if not to root for him.... to boo him.

Personally, I wouldn't want the guy. He can't be trusted. Better to tear things down and start from scratch. Hamilton isn't going to get you to the playoffs, and if he can't, what's the point?

Personally, I wouldn't want the guy either. I have been extremely vocal with anyone who brings the subject of Josh Hamilton up with me for f***ing YEARS, man. He is a waste of an amazing talent, and a guy who apparently can preach his way into charming anyone. His Christian ramblings don't hold water with me when he is sucking millions into his bank account while consistently breaching the trust of the teams paying him to just shut up and play.

• Like 2

I would not put it past the Rangers to hope the return on Hamilton will simply put butts in seats.... if not to root for him.... to boo him.

So are you saying Dallas is not a baseball town? ;)

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't want the guy either. I have been extremely vocal with anyone who brings the subject of Josh Hamilton up with me for f***ing YEARS, man. He is a waste of an amazing talent, and a guy who apparently can preach his way into charming anyone. His Christian ramblings don't hold water with me when he is sucking millions into his bank account while consistently breaching the trust of the teams paying him to just shut up and play.

He's a waste of amazing talent, to be sure. His talent is the only reason that he could talk anyone into anything, though...if he wasn't a supreme talent, he probably wouldn't be able to lead a two bit whore to bed.

(Actually, that's overstating it but I've always wanted to use that line.)

• Like 2