SNL 40th Anniversary Special!

workingcinderellaman

February 12, 2015, 5:18 PM

NBC is already making a big deal of the 40th anniversary of "Saturday Night Live" — and now it's making it a little bigger..

Guests include Justin Timberlake, Robert De Niro, Steve Martin, Jim Carrey, Miley Cyrus and many more. Old cast members like Kristen Wiig, Chevy Chase and Martin Short will also turn up.

Two questions right away: Where in the broadcast will executive producer and creator Lorne Michaels suddenly appear with one of his famously laconic cameos? And what will they do for the "cold open" — maybe revive the famous Chevy Chase pratfall?

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/saturday-night-live-40th-anniversary-special/2843918

I will be recording the whole thing.

I missed the original Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time Players, on account of I was a little young...started watching regularly during the Eddie Murphy/Joe Piscopo era.

A couple of unfunny seasons along the way have not sullied the 40 years that it has been on the air.

I think the current cast has some really great performers- Taran Killam, Jay Pharoah, Kate McKinnon, and Cecily Strong in particular.

Eddie Murphy is showing up as well. Will be interesting to see Chevy. He's hated by just about everyone associated with the show.

Because he's an ass.

Perhaps they'll have Chevy Chase and Bill Murray seated next to each other - all night long - to see who acts like a dick first...... :LOL:

• Like 2

Eddie Murphy is showing up as well. Will be interesting to see Chevy. He's hated by just about everyone associated with the show.

Because he's an ass.

Perhaps they'll have Chevy Chase and Bill Murray seated next to each other - all night long - to see who acts like a dick first...... :LOL:

Cage match!

Just started watching it on Hulu a few minutes ago. I'll definitely be fast forwarding through the lame musical performances especially Kanye. Is it true, Sir Macca's voice didn't sound that good? Also, I've read that Eddie Murphy's hyped appearance was a letdown.

I saw that Jane Curtain segment on Facebook and as someone who is anti Fox News (both parties suck to this green partier though), that was spot on. Also, I'm looking forward to Emma Stone :wub: kill it as her idol, Gilda Radner.

Edited by invisible airwave

I thought it was okay but should have been much better considering the talent. Towwards the end they were way too commercial heavy, came back for 2 minutes for something small (the tribute to Tracy Morgan is a good example), and then went back to another 10 minutes of commercials.

It's stupid, but I've always thought The Californians skits were funny as hell. This one was way too long and sucked. Celebritiy Jeopardy was very good though, as was- dare I say it- Miley Cyrus singing the Paul Simon cover. And though it was great he was there, poor Paul McCartney's voice has finally shit the bed :(

I would have really liked to see a Wayne's World skit but that would have probably been a terrible idea.

Eddie Murphy sure seemed pretty out of touch to that place though didn't he? At least Ackroyd gave it a shot with the Bass-O-Matic.

My favorite cast by far were the Hartman / Carvey / Hooks / Myers / Lovitz years, but I've watched the show since Eddie Murphy and Billy Crystal.

• Like 1

I thought it was okay but should have been much better considering the talent. Towwards the end they were way too commercial heavy, came back for 2 minutes for something small (the tribute to Tracy Morgan is a good example), and then went back to another 10 minutes of commercials.

It's stupid, but I've always thought The Californians skits were funny as hell. This one was way too long and sucked. Celebritiy Jeopardy was very good though, as was- dare I say it- Miley Cyrus singing the Paul Simon cover. And though it was great he was there, poor Paul McCartney's voice has finally shit the bed :(

I would have really liked to see a Wayne's World skit but that would have probably been a terrible idea.

Eddie Murphy sure seemed pretty out of touch to that place though didn't he? At least Ackroyd gave it a shot with the Bass-O-Matic.

My favorite cast by far were the Hartman / Carvey / Hooks / Myers / Lovitz years, but I've watched the show since Eddie Murphy and Billy Crystal.

Damn fine post... I agree with everything you said. I thought it started strong, but floundered

*ETA - I FF thru Miley Cyrus, so I cannot agree or disagree with that point :)

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

When a 40th anniversary show begins with a musical number with 2 clowns- 1 , who was NOT a cast member and the other, who was only on the show for 6 seasons as was the 5th or 6th best person on the show during that time,

Time to Bail. NBC did a horrible job of alienating the viewer.

I left at the 8 minute mark while those 2 hacks were still singing.

Embarrassing by NBC.

When a 40th anniversary show begins with a musical number with 2 clowns- 1 , who was NOT a cast member and the other, who was only on the show for 6 seasons as was the 5th or 6th best person on the show during that time,

Embarrassing by NBC.

2 Hacks? JT is an incredible talent... Fallon, I can take or leave.

Embarrassing by NBC.

2 Hacks? JT is an incredible talent... Fallon, I can take or leave.

Incredible? Ok, keep on smokin' it.

Let me guess, they rapped, they spoofed songs that the older cast, staff, audience has NO point of reference.

Inappropriate for the event. Or the audience.

Paul's voice may have sucked because he did a concert on Saturday Night. He usually takes a day or two to rest his voice like Geddy.

But Fallon is one of the most famous of the recent cast members. Him & Timberlake have some of the most famous bits in the show's history. They alienated fans that stop watching the show 15 years ago maybe. It's like having Steve Martin or Alec Baldwin open and say they alienated fans too. Neither were ever full-time cast but are a huge part of the show's history

• Like 2

Some good, some bad I thought. Could have definitely done without Kanye. Why wasn't Rush ever the musical guest on SNL? :wtf:

They were never the flavor of the day.

Was Steve Martin there? I know he wasn't an official cast member, but who could forget him as one of the wild and crazy guys?

That original cast was the tops. And the funniest. You can't replace Gilda - Rosanne Rosannadanna, and her and Bill Murray (I think) as The Whiners.

• Like 1