A help for a starter bass player?

This year i will start my second year studying bass, and i think its time to get one. Ive been looking, and im between an Ibanez GSR190, 3500 or 6000 or a Squier 4500 or at least thats what ive been shown. As i dont know too much, i would like to ask any of the bass players around this forum to help me. If theres any other bass you think it can fit, please tell me, the more details the best. I would also like to know about equpiments, and everything its needed to have the chance to study bass at home.

If you cant help me, please i ask you to let me links that do can, forums, websites, magazines, anything that can work. Some extra info, im 13 so i prefer something not too heavy so i can play standed up, i dont want the most expensive, but not the cheapest either. Im open to hear any recommendations you can give.

Thank you!

• Like 1

A Squire Jazz Bass is always a good choice, even for accomplished players.
  • Like 3

Good stuff, a squire jazz bass is a good bet. I am really excited, I found out I will soon be reunited with my very first bass, which is a Squire P-bass. I bought it when I was 15, and it got stuck in the town I went to college in. It was left at a buddies house in Toronto, OH. I called my buddies mom a couple months ago, she found it in their attic. Another friend of mines younger brother currently goes to school there, he picked it up, and brought it back to Northern Virginia. He is going to mail it to me soon.

Its sentimental to me more than anything, but I did customize it a bit - I put in some seymour duncan quarter pounders in and some nickel flat wound stings. When I get it back, I have plans to take the frets out, fill it in and refinish the neck and make it a fretless (get some kick ass harmonics). I can play an acoustic double bass, as well as violin, so fretless doesnt scare me ;)

• Like 1

It kind of depends on how much money you want to spend. In the low-cost area I really like the Squier Classic Vibe series. They're not just good for the money, they're just good period. I went in to buy an American P bass A few years ago and ended up buying one of these instead. I liked it so much I bought the jazz bass as well. They're very easily upgraded down the road should you want to do so.

I was in your position about 4.5 years ago when I wanted to get my first bass. I have a Squier Vintage Modified '77 Jazz Bass (still the only bass I have at the moment, but I'm looking at getting a 5 string next) and I can say from having the thing for that long that it's definitely a great bass for what it's worth. I've modified it slightly to make it almost close to Geddy's bass by giving it a white pickguard (recently I placed a sticker on the treble end of the pickguard to give it my own flair/touch) and a Badass II bridge.

I feel like there's somewhat of a faux-pas over owning a Squier than an actual Fender (at least in my community of guitarists/bassists whom I know) but considering I'm a college student with limited budget, the Squier works well for me and the kind of things I want out of it.

• Like 1

It kind of depends on how much money you want to spend. In the low-cost area I really like the Squier Classic Vibe series. They're not just good for the money, they're just good period. I went in to buy an American P bass A few years ago and ended up buying one of these instead. I liked it so much I bought the jazz bass as well. They're very easily upgraded down the road should you want to do so.

Price is something a lil different... Im argentinian so i guess prices might be different... I would like to spend around 10K pesos argentinos in the whole equipment, that would be the limit

Price is something a lil different... Im argentinian so i guess prices might be different... I would like to spend around 10K pesos argentinos in the whole equipment, that would be the limit

I have no idea what kind of price that might be in American dollars but the Classic Vibe series is generally just a little bit more than the standard Squier series basses.

Squier basses are actually quite good but I recommend going to try a few instead of buying on-line if possible. As with any instrument, some sound phenomenal and some are duds.

I always recommend a good set up too. I've seen beginners who struggle learning and get discouraged unnecessarily fighting a poorly set up instrument. Bad intonations screw with your ear training and poorly set action creating bad habits.

Wishing you lots of luck. :geddy:

• Like 1

Squier basses are actually quite good but I recommend going to try a few instead of buying on-line if possible. As with any instrument, some sound phenomenal and some are duds.

I always recommend a good set up too. I've seen beginners who struggle learning and get discouraged unnecessarily fighting a poorly set up instrument. Bad intonations screw with your ear training and poorly set action creating bad habits.

My friend!

Where have you been?

My friend!

Where have you been?

I know. Crazy. In the throws of youth hockey, busy at work, kRUSH has been keeping me jumping, etc.

Glad to pop in for a while!

• Like 2

This year i will start my second year studying bass, and i think its time to get one. Ive been looking, and im between an Ibanez GSR190, 3500 or 6000 or a Squier 4500 or at least thats what ive been shown. As i dont know too much, i would like to ask any of the bass players around this forum to help me. If theres any other bass you think it can fit, please tell me, the more details the best. I would also like to know about equpiments, and everything its needed to have the chance to study bass at home.

If you cant help me, please i ask you to let me links that do can, forums, websites, magazines, anything that can work. Some extra info, im 13 so i prefer something not too heavy so i can play standed up, i dont want the most expensive, but not the cheapest either. Im open to hear any recommendations you can give.

Thank you!

Hi Mother of all machines! I have a daughter your age and when she's ready to play bass (if she wants to, that is) I would very highly recommend the Ibanez Soundgear SR300X. I have one which I played all the time for years and it's very good for the price at around $300 tops.

They are high quality and lightweight. The neck is very thin which is good for those with smaller hands like women and myself lol. They sound very good, and to top it off they come in a lot of different colors (grey, black, green, purple, orange, white, red, and blue at the very least). I have the blue one, which in reality is darker than how it looks on the internet (but it's better IMO). On the back of the neck it has double dark lines running along it which looks really nice too.

Here's a few:

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/ikebe/cabinet/gtr34/ol_ibanez_sr300.jpg?_ex=330x330

Here's what it sounds like plugged direct w/ no amp. Excuse the song if it's too goofy:

http://youtu.be/1RfRMyz4UtA

Edited by Del_Duio

The internet is a great way to help you narrow the field, but quite honestly my friend, the only way to make the final decision on any guitar or bass is to go play it - and play it with your eyes closed.

Too many people get caught up on a specific nameplate or a particular colour or finish. But what matters most is how the instrument feels in your hands. If it feels good, you wil play it. If it feels uncomfortable or doesn't fit you right, then it doesn't matter what it says on the headstock or how spiffy the sunburst finish is. You just won't want to pick it up.

Sound is obviously important too, but remember that sound can be changed easily (and quite dramatically) by swapping out strings or pickups, and these are easy and inexpensive changes. The shape and size of the neck however, and how the bass feels on your body, is permanent.

Use the Internet and the advice you get here to point you in the right direction, but always make your final decision on how it feels.

Edited by Symmetre
  • Like 1

When my son had been playing the bass for about a year, he started looking for a better instrument and after trying several, chose a Mexican manufactured Fender Precision bass. He has been very happy with it.
  • Like 1

The internet is a great way to help you narrow the field, but quite honestly my friend, the only way to make the final decision on any guitar or bass is to go play it - and play it with your eyes closed.

Too many people get caught up on a specific nameplate or a particular colour or finish. But what matters most is how the instrument feels in your hands. If it feels good, you wil play it. If it feels uncomfortable or doesn't fit you right, then it doesn't matter what it says on the headstock or how spiffy the sunburst finish is. You just won't want to pick it up.

Sound is obviously important too, but remember that sound can be changed easily (and quite dramatically) by swapping out strings or pickups, and these are easy and inexpensive changes. The shape and size of the neck however, and how the bass feels on your body, is permanent.

Use the Internet and the advice you get here to point you in the right direction, but always make your final decision on how it feels.

Ive tested both, but yeah, thanks!

By the way, i would like to thank you all about the help! I finally decided about the Squier, so thank u all ur time and support

Keep rushing!

Edited by mother of all machines
  • Like 1