Steely Dan

Lorraine

Aside from myself, Mick and Troutman, are there any Steely Dan fans here?

Did anyone ever see them in concert?

I love the Dan. the closest I got to seeing them was two years ago. I found really good tix last minute on Craigslist, but no one would go with me. They were doing the full album tour that year...

Funny you made this thread, 'cause I listened to four straight Dan albums Tuesday.

• Like 1

Whatever happened to them anyway?

They just released dates for a small tour with Elvis Costello.

http://www.steelydan.com/

Thanks, Xanadood. I'd go see them if they came to my city.

They are coming to Auburn, Washington, July 9.

Yes, I saw that.

I really would like to know though why no one comes to Spokane. There has to be some reason. Most bands avoid the place.

Love em to death

You really can't go wrong with any of these

Countdown to Ecstasy

Pretzel Logic

Katy Lied

Royal Scam

Aja

I even like Gaucho.....even though that's rated lower.

Top 10 band for sure.

Mick

Mick, I never knew until today you liked them.

Where's Troutman? I have to wheedle him for the other CDs........

Here I am. :hi: :D

Great thread! I give most of the credit to my old friend Kurt who got me in to the "deeper cuts" from their albums. Songs like,

Third World Man

Glamour Profession

Any Major Dude Will Tell You

Those are just a few of them. I can listen to any of there albums depending on my mood. :D

• Like 1

Love em to death

Countdown to Ecstasy

Pretzel Logic

Katy Lied

Royal Scam

Aja

Top 10 band for sure.

Mick

I love Gaucho,

Very underrated album. I still have the cassette. :D

• Like 1

Love em to death

Countdown to Ecstasy

Pretzel Logic

Katy Lied

Royal Scam

Aja

Top 10 band for sure.

Mick

I love Gaucho,

i Adore the title Track I could play it on a loop. and Third World man. Much better then Rush's World Man song, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Love em to death

Countdown to Ecstasy

Pretzel Logic

Katy Lied

Royal Scam

Aja

Top 10 band for sure.

Mick

I love Gaucho,

i Adore the title Track I could play it on a loop. and Third World man. Much better then Rush's World Man song, lol

Mick

Yeah,

Songs such as "Third World Man" always makes me feel like I am relaxing sipping on some Cognac! :LOL:

• Like 1

I wish I could remember the album the song I also can't remember the name of was on. I do know it was either the last song on the album, or the last song on the first side. I just remember how the song ended. Unfortunately, I do not remember any lyrics.

It had to be on either Gaucho or Can't Buy a Thrill or Pretzel Logic because I have the other CDs and the song isn't on any of them. I've checked each of the albums I don't have on Wiki and none of the song titles ring a bell in my head. Gaucho's album cover doesn't look familiar to me so I don't know that I ever owned it. Maybe the cassette, but not the album.

It's tough when the memory starts going. :codger:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Yes. Have all the albums. Have all the solo albums. Love the Dan.

Saw them one time inConcord. Loved the show.

Gaucho is absolutely underrated. So is Kamakiriad. I like it more than the Nightfly. It really should have been a Dan album since Becker produced it and plays most of the guitars and basses. But there ya go.

• Like 2

I wish I could remember the album the song I also can't remember the name of was on. I do know it was either the last song on the album, or the last song on the first side. I just remember how the song ended. Unfortunately, I do not remember any lyrics.

It had to be on either Gaucho or Can't Buy a Thrill or Pretzel Logic because I have the other CDs and the song isn't on any of them. I've checked each of the albums I don't have on Wiki and none of the song titles ring a bell in my head. Gaucho's album cover doesn't look familiar to me so I don't know that I ever owned it. Maybe the cassette, but not the album.

I think you posted this before,

We coudn't figure it out at the time. :P

I sent you a pm about it but never posted it.

• Like 1

I sent you a pm about it but never posted it.

That's right. :D

• Like 1

Yes!

No!

I'm just getting started on this thread, so I thought I'd reply to the first post, first.

OK, I saw this thread a couple of days ago when it had been started, but I didn't start reading it until now. I said something in the Albums You've Listened To thread that I'd never heard The Royal Scam, so I looked it up and bought it last night. I didn't know that that was the album with Kid Charlemagne on it- I love that tune! So I bought it and Aja (which I've only ever had on vinyl), so I could listen to it more...and I did, last night- and The Royal Scam as well, which was awesome.

Then I turned on the television and the very first episode of Saturday Night Live was on, right then. I felt like I'd stepped into a mid-70s time warp. It was wonderful! :P

• Like 1

Yes!

No!

I'm just getting started on this thread, so I thought I'd reply to the first post, first.

They are touring in 2015 and are coming within a 3 to 4 hour drive of me in the summer. I may have to look into this further and see if its feasible to do. I think Elvis Costello is with them too. Never really been a fan of his. I saw him in DC sometime in the 80's and it wasn't memorable in the least. We'll have to see if I feel like traveling to Atlanta to see the Dan. I am seeing Rush there in the May so we will see how that goes and maybe it will be possible....
  • Like 2

Just a question for the expert panel here at the TRF. I obviously grew up in the "Steely Dan" era all the way from Rikki Don't Loose That Number and beyond. Hearing all of their early stuff on my transistor radio :sigh: :codger: . Just curious beyond Aja if I was to pick up another vinyl or two which should be first, second etc. The older I have gotten and with my son being the sax player/musician he is and hearing all that jazz over the years my appreciation has grown for the band. Thanks in advance... Edited by Narpsberg