Autographs?

GotPeart

So what sort of packaging are you guys using when you send album covers to be signed? I was going to go with a large padded envelope but a friend who works for the post office advised that I use a box instead because she would worry about it still getting bent up. I told her that sounds great in theory, but then I have to have a return envelope/box. She said I could get a prepaid return label that can stick on and they can use the same box. I don't think this will work because chances are, whoever opens the box will damage it to where it can't even be reused.

So I may stick with the padded envelope and hope for the best.

Not to be crazy anal, but I ship a decent amount of vinyl, so I basically put the album jacket inside a 12X12 vinyl mailer box (with cardboard for reinforcement) along with the Sharpie. That has postage on it with my address so they can just seal it up, drop it in the mail, and get it back to me.

But all of that goes inside a slightly BIGGER box (13X13) and that's what is shipped to the venue. Along with a note explaining what it is!

It just got accepted by the front desk at Greensboro yesterday... Fingers crossed.

The vinyl mailer box for the return sounds good, but how do THEY seal it for you?

I mean, they can just use normal packing tape, right? Or duct tape.

There's like 45 roadies hanging around. SOMEONE has a roll of duct tape.

I went to the post office and got two flat rate envelopes...one 1-day delivery to get it there and a priority flat rate envelope to be returned....all the pre-paid ones like that had free tracking available...They were very helpful. I basically walked in with the photo and address and they told me which envelopes and handled the necessary postage. Only paid about $25 for everything.

I'll definitely post a pic when it arrives...It just departed the USPS facility in Atlanta, so probably Friday would be the earliest...

• Like 1

Got my CA tourbook back from the Smoothie King Center venue in New Orleans where they played last Friday. I sent it via a large padded envelope with a same-sized (folded) self-adhesive SASE inside. It arrived there nearly a full week before the show, on the Saturday before. So somebody at the venue made sure to forward it to Liam (thanks whoever you were). The book came back a little bent here and there, but I think that was mostly due to my local postman bending the thing to fit in my mailbox. An album cover won't bend as easily, so there's that to consider. I wouldn't send boxes, that's asking the tour manager to do more work, nor should you expect them to tape or wrap anything. Include your sharpie of choice, I figure. Gotta make it as easy as possible, they simply don't have the time to package anything up more than the bare minimum.

Thanks Dirk, Lerxst, and Pratt. And you too, Liam. :)

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i425/cabobard/IMG_3214.jpg

Edited by Bard
  • Like 3

I got my AFTK album signed last tour and I'm still debating about whether to send something this time. I sent that one in particular because it was my first Rush album. I'm not sure what I would want to get signed this time. I don't have a tour program yet.

I got my AFTK album signed last tour and I'm still debating about whether to send something this time. I sent that one in particular because it was my first Rush album. I'm not sure what I would want to get signed this time. I don't have a tour program yet.

It's too bad you can't send your bass! Now that would be wonderful to have signed!

• Like 1

It's too bad you can't send your bass! Now that would be wonderful to have signed!

Maybe if it had a pickguard to take off to be signed but it doesn't. I don't think I'd want a signature on the actual bass itself.

• Like 1

I was conflicted as to what to send. Mostly they surely get LP covers and CD inserts. I figured sending something a little different might bring me a little luck. Plus, I really dig the artwork on the CA program cover, maybe more than any album cover, actually. The CA album itself, with the red clock, was tempting, but the signatures woulda been hard to see after framing, I think, unless I supplied one of those silver metallic sharpies, I guess.

But I actually like the homage to Signals on the tourbook more than the album artwork. :)

• Like 1

I was conflicted as to what to send. Mostly they surely get LP covers and CD inserts. I figured sending something a little different might bring me a little luck. Plus, I really dig the artwork on the CA program cover, maybe more than any album cover, actually. The CA album itself, with the red clock, was tempting, but the signatures woulda been hard to see after framing, I think, unless I supplied one of those silver metallic sharpies, I guess.

But I actually like the homage to Signals on the tourbook more than the album artwork. :)

Only thing that bothers me about the CA tourbook is the lack of tail on the Dalmatian. Weird I know. :LOL:

So guys, let me get your opinion on this. What day would be better for my item to arrive in Buffalo (the show is June 10). Have it arrive on the 9th? Or the 8th?

Ok I am bumping my question here...sorry if it sounds silly but I do worry about it being there "too early". They won't be there the 8th, they will be there the 9th but then I don't want it to arrive too late on the 9th either. :)

HAVING A MAJOR FANBOY MOMENT. Slowly opening the envelope with shaking hands...Here it is! Took some of my favorite photos I took from the last tour and had them printed. My first time doing this, so naturally I'm beyond pumped. Major thanks to the folks at Verizon Amphitheater and to Liam for making it happen. Also to the people at my local post office...they made it super easy to get everything packaged and shipped on time

17620159524_919f0beefb_z.jpg

• Like 8

HAVING A MAJOR FANBOY MOMENT. Slowly opening the envelope with shaking hands...Here it is! Took some of my favorite photos I took from the last tour and had them printed. My first time doing this, so naturally I'm beyond pumped. Major thanks to the folks at Verizon Amphitheater and to Liam for making it happen. Also to the people at my local post office...they made it super easy to get everything packaged and shipped on time

Awesome!!! I didn't realize you had taken those photos; that really makes it unique. And they even got the right name under the right photo, lol . Seriously, you should take it somewhere that does archival framing!

• Like 1

Awesome!!! I didn't realize you had taken those photos; that really makes it unique. And they even got the right name under the right photo, lol . Seriously, you should take it somewhere that does archival framing!

That's a thing of beauty. :)

• Like 2

It looks like Geddy personalized his sig for you. :)

• Like 1

Never really been an "autograph" kind of guy. Just living life... :)
  • Like 1

They personalize all of them now.

I'm glad they personalize them. Makes it harder for people to put these kind of things on eBay...I'm guessing they take turns personalizing them...I remember seeing some on the last tour that clearly looked like Neil's handwriting. Its neat thinking "hey, Geddy Lee wrote my name...NBD" haha! Hope all of you who are sending stuff to venues get your items back! It's like my birthday came a month early!

• Like 1

I'm glad they personalize them. Makes it harder for people to put these kind of things on eBay...I'm guessing they take turns personalizing them...I remember seeing some on the last tour that clearly looked like Neil's handwriting. Its neat thinking "hey, Geddy Lee wrote my name...NBD" haha! Hope all of you who are sending stuff to venues get your items back! It's like my birthday came a month early!

I'm glad they do too. It really makes it more personal. And yeah, I think "hey, all three guys touched my album cover!" It's pretty neat. :)

• Like 1