Power Windows or Hold Your Fire or Presto

Lorraine

98 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you like the best?

Presto wouldn't even be in my top ten favorite Rush albums. But up against PW and HYF, it is #1.

I rank it higher than Signals, PeW and Hems.

1. AFTK

2. HYF

3. MP

4. GUP

5. CoS

6. Presto

Isanity. Pure insanity. LOL. But hey everyone has their own unique tastes and favorite era's.

My top 5 has 3 you rank Presto ahead of LOL.

1. Permanent Waves

2. Hemispheres

3. Moving Pictures

4. Signals

5. Power Windows

Where as I have COS and Presto near the very bottom.

Edited by Todem

Presto wouldn't even be in my top ten favorite Rush albums. But up against PW and HYF, it is #1.

I rank it higher than Signals, PeW and Hems.

1. AFTK

2. HYF

3. MP

4. GUP

5. CoS

6. Presto

Isanity. Pure insanity. LOL. But hey everyone has their own unique tastes and favorite era's.

My top 5 has 3 you rank Presto ahead of LOL.

1. Permanent Waves

2. Hemispheres

3. Moving Pictures

4. Signals

5. Power Windows

Where as I have COS and Presto near the very bottom.

Very good top 5. only MP is down at about number 8 for sheer over play alone.

Never got the AFTK love.......not relevant to your post......just sayin' lol

Mick

• Like 1

Speaking for myself, I do better just lumping the Rush albums into four different categories:

Favorites

Semi-Favorites

Seldom Listen

Never Listen

Feedback goes in the last category. The others are divvied up among the other three. :)

Edited by Lorraine

Speaking for myself, I do better just lumping the Rush albums into four different categories:

Favorites

Semi-Favorites

Seldom Listen

Never Listen

Feedback goes in the last category. The others are divvied up among the other three. :)

If we're doing that. There is a big ol steamin' CHUNK of albums in my never listen category, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I'd rather listen to Test for Echo over Hold Your Nose. At least T4E has some beefy guitar.

Hold Your Nose sounds like mall music.

Hey Spaghetti! How've you been?

That's too mild for Spaghetti. :LOL:

He doesn't want to get banned, so he's the PG-rated version.

If that's the case...

Welcome back, Spaghetti!! :hi:

Who the F is Spaghetti?

I concur

Never thought this possible but I voted for HYF. Just pretending there are only 8 songs on the record(the first 8 obviously). Power Windows second then Presto has 6 or 7 good songs on it.... :codger:
  • Like 1

Power Windows = Being thrown around in a tornado of broken glass

Hold Your Fire = Being submerged in a pool of molten honey

Presto = having frost blown down your throat by the abominable snowman

(All in the most complimentary ways of course :LOL:)

Tough call between PW and HYF for me. PW has great songs and more importantly, does not have Tai Shan. But HYF holds a special place as the first Rush album I bought on the day it was released. It was the summer between middle and high school. I was 14 and vividly recall riding my bike up the back path through the woods to get to the record store. It was also the first tour I saw.

Power Windows will always be one of my very favourite Rush albums, so gets to win. I don't like much HYF and Presto is seriously weak.

Sorry to hear you say you hate PW, Lorraine! To each his own.

I didn't say that I hated it because I don't. I like two songs on the album.

Correction: I like three songs on the album.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Honestly if it weren't for Marathon, I probably would have chosen Hold Your Fire. But Marathon, plus the other nice stuff on Power Windows, makes for a godly album.
  • Like 1

Honestly if it weren't for Marathon, I probably would have chosen Hold Your Fire. But Marathon, plus the other nice stuff on Power Windows, makes for a godly album.

If it werent for Marathon and Territories, I probably would have switched Power Windows and HYF

• Like 1

Why do so many people hate these albums? Are synths really THAT bad?

I guess I don't mind synthesizers as instruments when they are actually played with hands or even feet - watching Lee play separate notes with his feet while he is doing other stuff is quite amazing. What I don't care for are those little synth flourishes, these little flurries of notes that were probably programmed by somebody else. It's not really playing an instrument just to hit a pedal or pad at the right moment and have it go woobedeewoobedeewoobedeewoobedee. It's kind of distracting. I also wish we didn't have to hear prerecorded backing vocals and guitar parts when they play live. I think it would be a much cooler live experience to hear what they can do live without relying on all that technology and that crew of technicians waiting to load the next pre-recorded noise into a computer. Exceptions being sequenced bits in songs like vital signs and the weapon and red sector a.

• Like 1

I think it would be a much cooler live experience to hear what they can do live without relying on all that technology and that crew of technicians waiting to load the next pre-recorded noise into a computer.

You do? I don't know about that. I went to many "raw" concerts and they were horrible. The songs never sound the way you expect them to. Maybe some people would like that, but I never did. I always came away from the concert feeling cheated.

Why do so many people hate these albums? Are synths really THAT bad?

I guess I don't mind synthesizers as instruments when they are actually played with hands or even feet - watching Lee play separate notes with his feet while he is doing other stuff is quite amazing. What I don't care for are those little synth flourishes, these little flurries of notes that were probably programmed by somebody else. It's not really playing an instrument just to hit a pedal or pad at the right moment and have it go woobedeewoobedeewoobedeewoobedee. It's kind of distracting. I also wish we didn't have to hear prerecorded backing vocals and guitar parts when they play live. I think it would be a much cooler live experience to hear what they can do live without relying on all that technology and that crew of technicians waiting to load the next pre-recorded noise into a computer. Exceptions being sequenced bits in songs like vital signs and the weapon and red sector a.

Sorry i don't know why but i laughed hard at that woobedeewoobedee thing :LOL: there goes my enjoyment of force Ten with a straight face, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2