Cold hearted orb that rules the night

Removes the colors from our sight

Red is gray

and yellow white

But we decide which is right

and which is an illusion

BREATHE DEEP!

• Like 1

I think it would be a much cooler live experience to hear what they can do live without relying on all that technology and that crew of technicians waiting to load the next pre-recorded noise into a computer.

You do? I don't know about that. I went to many "raw" concerts and they were horrible. The songs never sound the way you expect them to. Maybe some people would like that, but I never did. I always came away from the concert feeling cheated.

I really do. I think it would be a treat. Interesting to me, too, would be to hear if the songs can stand on their own without all those gimmicks. I'd like to emphasize that I do like the tunes, for the most part, but those little synth doodads just make me wonder what if...

I think it would be a much cooler live experience to hear what they can do live without relying on all that technology and that crew of technicians waiting to load the next pre-recorded noise into a computer.

You do? I don't know about that. I went to many "raw" concerts and they were horrible. The songs never sound the way you expect them to. Maybe some people would like that, but I never did. I always came away from the concert feeling cheated.

I really do. I think it would be a treat. Interesting to me, too, would be to hear if the songs can stand on their own without all those gimmicks. I'd like to emphasize that I do like the tunes, for the most part, but those little synth doodads just make me wonder what if...

:LOL: "...little synth doodads..."

That's better than woobedee.

:LOL:

woobedee

woobedee

woobedee

the new slogan of the Rush synth period, lol

Mick

We ought to get t-shirts made with Woobedee! on the front and back of them.

the synth Period.............

Woobadee woobadee baby.

lol

Mick

• Like 1

woobedee

woobedee

woobedee

the new slogan of the Rush synth period, lol

Mick

We ought to get t-shirts made with Woobedee! on the front and back of them.

the synth Period.............

Woobadee woobadee baby.

lol

Mick

For all the superior cynics who dance to a synthetic band

• Like 1

I completely agree. Actually, when I go to see a show and everything sounds exactly as it does on the record, I feel cheated.

Give it to me raw...warts and all. IMO, that is the truest test.

If I had my way, everyone would do concerts similar to how the Grateful Dead used to...no planned setlist...play everything in the moment and the way it plays out is all there is to it. Some moments are phenomenal, some maybe not as much, but it's all live and will only happen that way at that moment. To me, not knowing is what makes live music exciting.

• Like 3

1. Power Windows

2. Hold Your Fire

3. Presto

Hold Your Fire is the first Rush record I got when it came out that I listened to once and didn't want to listen to it again. I didn't get Presto for about 15 years after it came out and didn't feel I missed out on much. So for me, there's a huge drop off after Power Windows.

I'm listening to Hold Your Fire right now and I'm surprisingly blown away. I'm really digging it and may say something stupid if I don't stop now. ;)
  • Like 3

Why do so many people hate these albums? Are synths really THAT bad?

My take has been that there are many other bands who did synth music much, much better.

:fuckinputer:

Edited by goose

Why do so many people hate these albums? Are synths really THAT bad?

I guess I liken it to too much CGI in a movie—annoying junk that's going on in the background to I guess make viewers go "wow, there was so much going on in that scene that I'll have to watch it again." I don't mind synths when they are played as solo instruments (like Lee's solos in Tom Sawyer and Countdown) or even as some background sound (like a traditional organ sound, or the sequenced stuff in the Weapon). I'm not wild about the triggered samples that invade the sonic space.

Part of me understands the attraction, the impulse to fill the space with more "interest" or "color" or whatever. But that kind of thing can sort of take control, I think. There's a type of Rush music which is just amazing musicians in a room playing all out - take Freewill. There's another type of Rush music that makes me think they kept listening and listening and thinking, it would be cool to add something there: let's get Rupert to program something! Later, maybe, it was Alex thinking "what if I played another guitar part over that guitar part, in a different voicing. Any why stop there? Let's fill the whole sonic landscape with different guitar sounds. That'll sound cool." And what do you have? Fans complaining about the over-saturated sound.

• Like 1

Stunning HYF so popular compared to Presto. I recall Show Don't Tell hitting the radio, and yes guitars are back! The Pass and red tide, amazing songs from them. When HYF was released, Force Ten was great, but so many meh songs, second nature, prime mover, open secrets, tai Shan, the least impressed of any new release from them. Power Windows great album, but as Alex says, why do I have to find a new space? Any album that emphasizes keyboards, sans Grace, loses all tiebreakers!
  • Like 1

Doesn't anyone else here love Red Tide?

It's a wonderful little energetic tune! I love it! (Apart from those blasted propaganda lyrics :LOL:)
  • Like 2

It's a wonderful little energetic tune! I love it! (Apart from those blasted propaganda lyrics :LOL:)

I don't even listen to them. I rarely pay any attention to his lyrics.

I thoroughly enjoy Neil's lyrics in almost all cases, IMO he's extremely smart when it comes to human relationships and understanding the individual.

I don't even listen to them. I rarely pay any attention to his lyrics.

I'm with you. I just love the tune and couldn't give a rip what its about....
  • Like 1