Live (band)

GeddyRulz

Hey all!

So... I hopped into my car on Friday evening to head home from work, and from the radio came this music. It took me back to hearing new Rush for the first time on the radio, specifically from Power Windows or Hold Your Fire. The chance that I was really hearing new Rush, I told myself, was none. (I'm too connected, via the Internet, to what's new in Rush World. I'd have heard something was forthcoming.) So what was this song? I liked it. It struck me that if Rush had continued in the same vein as Power Windows for awhile longer, with only minor tweaks to their sound, they might've sounded like the music I was hearing. Then the announcer backsold it as... Live.

I was only familiar with their song "I Alone." This was something different, something Rush-like. Help me out. Do Live sometimes, kinda-sorta, sound like PoW-era Rush? Even just for a single song? What's the title of this song?? I want to hear more of this Rush-like Live.

(BTW, Googling "Live" or even "Live band" doesn't work all that well. It's the name, which could signify you're looking for concert information about an entirely different band!)

Edited by GeddyRulz

I don't know that I have heard a song a from Live that I would compare to the synth era, but they do have a few songs that use harmonic sounds in their guitar work that seems to echo some of the thin guitar sounds from that time.

Pretty much the only songs from Live that get played on radio (assuming the station is one of the corporate mush entities that have taken over the medium) are from the Throwing Copper album, so your choices are:

I Alone (you know that one)

Selling the Drama

Lighting Crashes

All Over You

Live is a very good band in my opinion

They are no longer what they were since Ed left the band and not on friendly terms

He really kind of screwed his band mates

As far as radio tracks in addition to the ones mentioned you might hear the following on the radio

Pain lies on the riverside

Operation spirit

The beauty of gray

I alone

Rattlesnake

Heaven

I alone

Pillar of Davidson

White discussion

LakIns juice

Turn my head

The Dolphins cry

Good band that had great potential but inner turmoil and the changing music in popular culture ruined yet another band and the chance at success

Is it just me or does Ed look like Geddy Lee with the long hair and glasses in the video for Selling The Drama? I listened to them in junior high and high school a lot. I only have their 1st 4 albums though. I remember taping Throwing Copper off KLOS FM's Sunday program, The 7th Day, when I just started high school where they played an entire album from bands. Didn't even "own" the album until a couple years later.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I’ve played a bunch of Live songs on YouTube, but haven’t found the song I heard on Friday afternoon after work. “Simple Creed” sounded close – and not because of the rapping – but that’s not it. I’ve tried three or four times to call the radio station and ask them what Live song they played on Friday at about 4:30, but I keep getting a busy signal. More investigation is needed.

Yes, Ed looks like Geddy in that video. I thought the same thing when I saw it. (I’ve heard he normally has a shaved head, though.)

Top, from Throwing Copper is very Rushesque.

Also from The Distance To Here check out the tune Meltdown.

Both those tunes IMO are about as close (musically and sonic wise) to Rush as they ever got.

Edited by Todem