Signals or Grace Under Pressure

Lorraine

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you like more?

Grace Under Pressure is THE album that brought me to Rush and TRF :D :yes: I loved Subdivisions but the rest of Signals didn't capture me like GUP. I never get tired of that album, I think I played it every day for a month when I first discovered it. (Listening right now :rush: )

One side note: have been listening to Signals a lot over the last couple months and everyone will laugh but I have fallen in love with of all songs; Countdown :LOL: . It shows my age but I have fond memories of watching Nasa launches before going to school in the morning. That song encapsulates that excitement for me..what a geek eh?

Lorraine, I would definetly choose GUP!

Countdown and Losing It save Signals. Two perfect songs!

Signals doesn't need any saving.

What I mean is, it cements Signals status as a truly great album. Unlike MP or P/G, i do not love every song. But The Weapon, Losing It and Countdown are just off the scale in my books.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know how many people base their decisions on the fact of one or the other albums being the first album they ever heard, or bought. It also would be interesting to know how many people changed their minds over the years about one album or the other. Like they originally hated Signals but now they love it or vise versa.
  • Like 1

I honestly can't say. Signals is great but do is P/G. It's too hard to choose from such great albums...

What if you had to choose only one to listen to the rest of your life? Which one would you choose?

When you phrase it like that, I'd give p/g the nod. Alex is doing more interesting things (to me) on that album. And, bonus, no Countdown or The Weapon!

I honestly can't say. Signals is great but do is P/G. It's too hard to choose from such great albums...

What if you had to choose only one to listen to the rest of your life? Which one would you choose?

When you phrase it like that, I'd give p/g the nod. Alex is doing more interesting things (to me) on that album. And, bonus, no Countdown or The Weapon!

:o :o :o

• Like 1

I know you're fond of The Weapon, Lorraine, but I can't stands it, precious!

That honestly shocks me that you, of all people, do not like it. What is it about the song that you don't like?

p/g by a hair.

Love Subdivisions, The Analog Kid, The Weapon, and Losing It, but love Distant Early Warning, The Enemy Within, Red Sector A, Afterimage, and yes, The Body Electric more

• Like 1

Signals was the new album when I first learned about Rush, therefore it hold a special place. Both are great albums but Signals holds a special place for me.
  • Like 1

It's Signals: Subdivisions and The Weapon stand out because they were the 1st songs on the album I bought. Side 1 and Side 2-

Flipping that LP over hearing that 1st riff of those 2 songs...gold. That being said, can't stand New World Man...

Countdown overrated< This will irritate Lorraine :rage:

GUP: Not the same effect. Felt the keyboards were too upfront. Not anti-Keyboard, but they went full Genesis on GUP...

the dark lyrics on GUP were sort of a downer - Entire Side 2 of GUP seems below standard fare for Rush.

Thought it then, still think it now....

Signals takes the lead!!

That honestly shocks me that you, of all people, do not like it. What is it about the song that you don't like?

Lots of things, I guess, but primarily it feels (to me, always to me, folks) like it has no soul. It feels very "mathematical"...heartless...uninspired. Excellent lyrics...shitty music.

It's Signals: Subdivisions and The Weapon stand out because they were the 1st songs on the album I bought. Side 1 and Side 2-

Flipping that LP over hearing that 1st riff of those 2 songs...gold. That being said, can't stand New World Man...

Countdown overrated< This will irritate Lorraine :rage:

GUP: Not the same effect. Felt the keyboards were too upfront. Not anti-Keyboard, but they went full Genesis on GUP...

the dark lyrics on GUP were sort of a downer - Entire Side 2 of GUP seems below standard fare for Rush.

Thought it then, still think it now....

Signals takes the lead!!

Wow, yeah. I'm crushed. No wonder why Sarah McLachlan turned you down.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

GUP just edges out Signals because of Alex's inventive guitar solos.His solo on Beneath the Wheels just soars with emotion.But i do love Countdown.'In fascination,_with the eyes of the world we stare'.
  • Like 2

They are essentially equal to me however I find myself listening to Signals a bit more.

I guess Signals has more replay value for me for one reason or the other.

If I listen to P/G then it is usually the B side for something like 'Kid Gloves' or 'Between the Wheels' strangely enough.

• Like 1

I voted for Grace Under Pressure. It is very close, in a lot of respects. I have emotional ties to a couple of songs on Signals, as that album frequently reminds me of my older brother who turned me on to Rush, in about 1979-'80. He was killed in 1986. But at any rate...he was 15 years old when Signals was released, and I always thought of Subdivisions being perfectly aimed at him, and where he was and what he was going through at that time. The Analog Kid, Digital Man, The Weapon, and Countdown are all really strong songs as well. Chemistry and Losing it both sort of fall flat, to me (although the lyrical power of Losing it cannot be denied). And New World Man is probably my second least favorite "popular" song of Rush's.

But Grace Under Pressure- I'll say the same thing about it that I said about Hemispheres in comparison to Permanent Waves- the adrenaline highs on that album are just higher for me than they are on Signals. The strong songs on Signals, I love...but the strong songs on Grace Under Pressure I love even more. Distant Early Warning and Afterimage hold strong emotional connections for me as well, and The Body Electric and Between the Wheels in particular are just...wow. They thrill me and give me the shivers all at once.

I did have to think about it for a little bit before I voted. But Grace Under Pressure wins.

• Like 5