Skip Tom Sawyer

JohnRogers

Would the band ever consider skipping Tom Sawyer to give us something else that gets no or little live play? I'd love to go to a Rush show and not hear Tom Sawyer.

No. It's their most popular song and they have said NUMEROUS times that they love playing it for many reasons, in Neil's case, its sheer difficulty on drums.

It's not a song they're sick of like Closer To The Heart.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 10

It will NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER happen. They know they are pretty much obligate to play the song. For better or worse it's their most popular song, and they like playing it.

It would be similar to Journey not playing "Don't Stop Believin'" or Kiss not playing "Rock and Roll All Night". It's just not going to happen.

I personally could care less if I ever hear it live again, but I know it's going to happen :)

• Like 4

I personally could care less if I ever hear it live again, but I know it's going to happen :)

Simple as this^^^^....
  • Like 1

I like it, don't love it, but enjoy it live.

I wouldn't mind it being skipped, but for all those new fans - they have to play it for them. Plus, like the idiot Bears fan said, they love playing it

• Like 4

Not only will it be played for sure, but I bet it's somewhere in the encore.

I don't see that happening. Some bands will refuse to play their most popular song (e.g. Radiohead refusing to play "Creep"), but, honestly, that makes those bands a collection of tools. The guys in Rush are not, though, tools. Sure, they got sick of Closer to the Heart and put it on the shelf here and there, but Closer to the Heart is neither their quintessential song nor the song they are most known for. Yeah, I get that long time fans who have attended dozens of shows would be okay without Tom Sawyer on the set list, but the truth is, while wehave all heard it live many times, this tour will likely have a good number of audience newbies or fans who haven't been to a show in a long, long time and are drawn because of the last tour of this magnitude conversation. Surely they are aware of this. But perhaps they will throw us long timers a bone and open with it to get it out of the way. :huh:
  • Like 2

I wouldn't mind it being skipped, but for all those new fans - they have to play it for them. Plus, like the idiot Bears fan said, they love playing it

This f***ing Packers fan probably would rather hear Tai Shan.

• Like 1

Like it has been since the 1990's. I figured the answer would be no. A guy can dream though.

I like it opening a set... either half is ok by me. Would love to see the South Park intro brought back

My favorite spot to have Tom Sawyer is in the same spot. Opening with it in Rio was insanely good, but it's also great for after the intermission.

• Like 2

It will NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER happen. They know they are pretty much obligate to play the song. For better or worse it's their most popular song, and they like playing it.

It would be similar to Journey not playing "Don't Stop Believin'" or Kiss not playing "Rock and Roll All Night". It's just not going to happen.

I personally could NOT care less if I ever hear it live again, but I know it's going to happen :)

PET PEEVE ALERT!!!!!

• Like 4

.........and?!?
  • Like 2

I personally could NOT care less if I ever hear it live again, but I know it's going to happen :)

PET PEEVE ALERT!!!!!

:LMAO:

.........and?!?

You ninny!

.........and?!?

You ninny!

134220df41872b5088676c5a06069738.jpg

.........and?!?

You ninny!

Tai Shan is a great song to do Tai Chi to while eating cheese

.........and?!?

You ninny!

Tai Shan is a great song to do Tai Chi to while eating cheese

:no:

• Like 1

I don't see that happening...but the truth is, while wehave all heard it live many times, this tour will likely have a good number of audience newbies or fans who haven't been to a show in a long, long time and are drawn because of the last tour of this magnitude conversation. Surely they are aware of this...

Yeah this being "the last tour" really makes skipping it highly unlikely. I like the idea of oepning with it and being done with it. Don't get me worng I don't hate the song, I like it more than much of Hemispheres. ;) I just wouldn't miss it if skipped on tour.

PET PEEVE ALERT!!!!!

:) :) :) You got me... :) :) :)

PET PEEVE ALERT!!!!!

:) :) :) You got me... :) :) :)

:cheers:

Believe me, my posts are riddled with mispellings, gramatical mistakens and typeos! ;) :hail:

• Like 2