Which is better- Hemispheres or Permanent Waves?

Blue J

Which is better- Hemispheres or Permanent Waves?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better? Or which do you like more?

Very tough to answer - they're like stunningly gorgeous twins, one of whom has slightly longer hair.

I like that.

I agree with the analogy- I went with Hemispheres, though, because the highs (not the high notes, but the high energy and adrenaline) are just slightly higher, for me, on that one.

But I think they're both essentially perfect albums.

• Like 1

A question to the musicians here: which of the two albums do you think it took more talent to write?

That is also an interesting (and difficult) question.

To me, the two stand-outs in terms of technical difficulty, and the talent and prowess to pull them off, in playing them, are La Villa Strangiato and Natural Science. My gut tells me (and my hands tell me) that the instrumental wins. But only by the slimmest possible margin.

Hemispheres to me is the perfection of a style that Rush had been working on for quite some time. It's mature and confident, but also somewhat staid. PeW is full of optimism and excitement, but also has a tentative, "we're not quite sure what we're doing here" feel.
  • Like 1

A question to the musicians here: which of the two albums do you think it took more talent to write?

Also very difficult: they're like two wrestlers of equal height, weight, musculature, and skill, one with just a slightly grimmer expression.

And that, I promise, is the last stupid analogy and excuse for not answering a question.

• Like 1

I've found that it's harder to write an interesting yet challenging song if you're trying to limit its length than it is if length isn't really a consideration. I suspect the songs on PeW were harder to write, but probably easier to play.

• Like 1

I've found that it's harder to write an interesting yet challenging song if you're trying to limit its length than it is if length isn't really a consideration. I suspect the songs on PeW were harder to write, but probably easier to play.

Does that include the instrumental break in Freewill? That entire bit is outrageous. My eyeballs popped out and were dangling by their optic nerves, and I had to have my jaw surgically reconnected after I first heard that.

• Like 2

Love them both equally but if I had to choose, Permanent Waves.

Jacob's Ladder, Entre Nous, Different Strings and Natural Science, played all together, is freakin' good music.

Both are pretty much perfect to me, but Hemispheres gets the edge just because I love the title track so much.

The Cygnus segment of Book II contains my favorite passage of music in the entire Rush canon- from "Then all at at once, the chaos ceased" to the ending gong before The Sphere...that whole three and a half minutes or so is just sublime rock and roll. Not the most complex and impressive to play. But it's just...it just sets me on fire.

• Like 5

Hemispheres: But it's close.

PW is a great record.

The dedication and difficulty of putting together La Villa put it over the top. The last real Long Form Rush song as well.

Plus it's where my name comes from , so there's that

• Like 3