The end of Guitar Center

CygnusX-1Bk2

A bit long for me to bother reading :LOL:

On the topic of Guitar Center, though, I used to go to the one in Cedar Rapids, IA all the time when my family and I were in the area since we have grandparents up there. I bought my beloved Marshall amp and my favorite guitar there almost 7 years ago. You could walk in, take a guitar off the wall, plug in, and play to your heart's content.

A few years later you could noticeably see less people in there and their stock gradually decreasing. Last year they took most of the amps off the floor and only have the acoustic barn for free playing. Their supply of electric guitars was essentially limited down to the high end ones that nobody in Cedar Rapids, IA of all places every buys, then the low-end demo guitars that have been beaten to death from all the playing people did with them over the years. Guess they either got tired of dumbasses going in and cranking an amp to 11 and putting the pickups next to the amp and splitting everyone's eardrums, or they just weren't selling enough to justify having a free to play for everything.

Will probably never go there again. Far cheaper to order guitar strings online and I've been getting my gear setup and having the usual adjustments done by a local business owner in Iowa City. Fun place to go to cause he'll let you play his stuff and if he knows you he'll let you demo his projects. He does some crazy shit with his guitars.

I heard there was some financial trouble going on with GC. My brother just got a job there back in October, and said since christmas they have been doing some serious firing nationwide. Clearing up around 70 million in payroll...guess they're either slowly clearing out retail employees or scrambling to shorten their deficits...But hey, that's what happens when you walk in and 90% of the time they don't have whatever you're looking for in-stock so they just turn you around and tell you to use the website...thus leading people to find better deals elsewhere

I have really mixed feelings on Guitar Center. On the negative, I think they did a 'Walmart' to the local music shops and just blew away alot of small guys with excess and cheap prices. They did things way too 'corporate'. Corporate and rock should never mix. On the positive, they did have more selection (in general) and pretty good prices. But I do miss the good old days of the small local shop, which are a dying breed.

At the end of the day, if they chose the model of anything and everything for cheap prices, well sorry, you're in Amazon's wheelhouse my friend.

I predict a lot of laid-off Guitar Center staff moving back in with Mom & Dad. Seriously, at the 2 stores near us, the staff are always too busy playing to help customers.
  • Like 2

I've been hearing this for the past 10 years. It wouldn't surprise me though. Anytime I've been in one of their stores in the past year or so it's been like a ghost town.

One of my best friends is a GC drum guy who sells a LOT of gear. He has been complaining how bad things have gotten since Bain Capital took over. The entire company philosophy has changed. Long story short they went from making a lower margin on all sales with an emphasis on moving tons of gear where now they try to make more on each deal, but doing fewer deals. This has the impact of having too much stock stay in stores while purchasing products from manufacturers on credit. Because they aren't moving as much those bills stack up then they become overextended financially.

Deep in the article it is mentioned that they fired a ton of executives and managers (42 executives and 28 regional managers) which clears some funds but not near enough to cover the outstanding credit. If Behringer is cancelling contracts with GC that is telling because they make a boatload of consumer and prosumer gear. Fender is making a move toward direct sales to customers, cutting out the middle man, aka GC.

I heard there was some financial trouble going on with GC. My brother just got a job there back in October, and said since christmas they have been doing some serious firing nationwide. Clearing up around 70 million in payroll...guess they're either slowly clearing out retail employees or scrambling to shorten their deficits...But hey, that's what happens when you walk in and 90% of the time they don't have whatever you're looking for in-stock so they just turn you around and tell you to use the website...thus leading people to find better deals elsewhere

I went in to buy a MArshall DSL40C and they had almost no Marshall. Guess their credit ran out. some of their guys were pretty questionable as well but the acoustic shop was well stocked. I wonder about Sam Ash as well.

My local GC only opened about 2 years ago. It serves me almost no purpose, although their repair tech did help me out. However, gc.com is fantastic. I have purchased used equipment there, and scored some really impressive deals that I could not get anywhere else. Plus, I was able to make the purchase with the confidence that GC would stand behind it (give me a refund, take care of problems, etc) that I wouldn't have had on eBay or Craigslist. Not to mention, the selection was much better. If GC is completely done, I will miss it, but if just the brick & mortar stores close, it will have almost no impact on me.

From what my friend has said GC.com is technically it's own store, like a local store so if the chain goes down it will too and probably Musican's Friend as well.

With all the major chains dying off maybe there's a better chance for the independent owners. You know, the ones that actually help you out and let you try their shit for fun without shoving sales down your throat.
  • Like 2

I have really mixed feelings on Guitar Center. On the negative, I think they did a 'Walmart' to the local music shops and just blew away alot of small guys with excess and cheap prices. They did things way too 'corporate'. Corporate and rock should never mix. On the positive, they did have more selection (in general) and pretty good prices. But I do miss the good old days of the small local shop, which are a dying breed.

At the end of the day, if they chose the model of anything and everything for cheap prices, well sorry, you're in Amazon's wheelhouse my friend.

I was just talking to a friend about brick and mortar getting killed by Amazon. People go into a place, big or small, and essentially "steal" the service these places provide by getting "fitted" then buying on Amazon from home. It sucks.
  • Like 1

With all the major chains dying off maybe there's a better chance for the independent owners. You know, the ones that actually help you out and let you try their shit for fun without shoving sales down your throat.

The trick is getting people to close the deal in your shop. See my previous post as to why.

I was just talking to a friend about brick and mortar getting killed by Amazon. People go into a place, big or small, and essentially "steal" the service these places provide by getting "fitted" then buying on Amazon from home. It sucks.

That is exactly what is happening. And it is across the board in high dollar and durable goods.

A similar example: Best Buy and TVs (aka, Amazon's show room). There are a few retailers that can play in TVs and keep an edge against Amazon, like Costco (as Costco generally has industry leading prices and definitely has the industry leading return policy). But beyond that, the Amazon Marketplace model is killing retailers.

There is one thing that can counteract the Amazon effect: Good, genuine customer service. Over and over and over again there is a good amount of research that shows positive, thoughtful interaction will get customers to return to your place, even if it is out the way and less convenient. People want to feel good about how they spend their money. The thing with GC is they got away from that. It seemed every time I went in there, they skip over my actual question and try to sell me an add-on. I get they need try the add-on, but how about answering my question and helping me find what it is I actually need, rather than what they want me to buy? The same happens across the street at Sam Ash. So guess what I did? Yep. I am part of the problem... I started buying things online. I could actually even get my questions answered online, too.

(Point of clarification: I am not the musician in my family. My daughter is, so the questions are often very important as they don't pertain to my, but her, needs.)

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 1

That is exactly what is happening. And it is across the board in high dollar and durable goods.

A similar example: Best Buy and TVs (aka, Amazon's show room). There are a few retailers that can play in TVs and keep an edge against Amazon, like Costco (as Costco generally has industry leading prices and definitely has the industry leading return policy). But beyond that, the Amazon Marketplace model is killing retailers.

There is one thing that can counteract the Amazon effect: Good, genuine customer service. Over and over and over again there is a good amount of research that shows positive, thoughtful interaction will get customers to return to your place, even if it is out the way and less convenient. People want to feel good about how they spend their money. The thing with GC is they got away from that. It seemed every time I went in there, they skip over my actual question and try to sell me an add-on. I get they need try the add-on, but how about answering my question and helping me find what it is I actually need, rather than what they want me to buy? The same happens across the street at Sam Ash. So guess what I did? Yep. I am part of the problem... I started buying things online. I could actually even get my questions answered online, too.

(Point of clarification: I am not the musician in my family. My daughter is, so the questions are often very important as they don't pertain to my, but her, needs.)

Costco has a good model: Here's what we have...the quality & price are very fair...and no one will try to upsell or bait and switch you.

Wow, this sucks I actually like Guitar Center :(

The one near my house always seems pretty busy, and I know they've gotten some good business from me over the past 2 years or so (Sterling MM Ray-34 bass, Roland Drumkit & Amp, Fender Rumble Amp, and a Daisy Rock guitar for my wife.) Not to mention all the stands and straps and my digital 8 track recorder I got from GC online.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd never buy a bass online and trust that it's been set up correctly, doesn't have fret buzz (the kind you need to get a re-fret for I mean), or chips / dings / other imperfections.

I miss Daddy's Junky Music and some other smaller music stores that are long gone too- walking into their bargain basement and finding some crazy Ibanez headless bass from the mid 80's that wasn't a Steinberger shape for example- but at least GC gave me some options when it came time for buying music stuff.

Edited by Del_Duio

I predict a lot of laid-off Guitar Center staff moving back in with Mom & Dad. Seriously, at the 2 stores near us, the staff are always too busy playing to help customers.

Weird, at my store it's always the customers that are trying to outblast everybody else that's doing the playing. Not me though, I always keep it around 2 at the maximum because I hate that shit. It's rude :D

I'm fortunate to not need to patronize Guitar Center, from most of what I've read here. I'be been tempted by them at times in the past, but I've never gone to one. I'm fortunate to have at least three different good, locally-owned guitar shops where I live.

(There's a Martin D-18 that I've had my eye on for a few months, but it's $1800...I know to expect that from a Martin solid wood, but still...damnit!).

There was another one in town that's been closed for a while now that used to have some $3000 or $4000 PRS's way up high where you couldn't reach them. All the good stuff was up high!
  • Like 1

I think the issues with most GC's are store to store. In the SF Bay Area most of the staff are good and helpfull. Plus my best friend is the main drum guy and I only deal with him so I generally get stuff at cost.

There was another one in town that's been closed for a while now that used to have some $3000 or $4000 PRS's way up high where you couldn't reach them. All the good stuff was up high!

That's because the teenywankers would be more likely to scratch and dent them than someone who was seriously interested in buying.

• Like 1

That's because the teenywankers would be more likely to scratch and dent them than someone who was seriously interested in buying.

True GC Story: A few years ago, I was looking to get my daughter her first legit, high dollar electric. She wanted a Strat. I wasn't necessarily into that, but that was her call. Looking around, finally found a high end vintage series that I liked at GC. Went in there one afternoon to look at it, but the kid didn't want to let me look at it... kept steering me to the cheaper, foreign made versions. Finally I realized he either thought I wasn't serious or couldn't afford it.... so I had to be forceful and, say, "No. That one".... pointing to the $2K sunburst vintage model up top. The kid actually gave me the ojo and I gave it right back to him (I wanted to say, "Listen kid, I make more in a day than you make in a month" but I didn't. I behaved... for once.). I eventually got to look at the guitar and then walked away. Again, I found a better deal for the same guitar on line. Had the kid not been such a pretentious prick, I would have bought it from GC.

• Like 1

Buying guitars online is ill advised. If a GC sale guy won't let you look at a guitar talk to the manager.

That said, Fender guitars are a crapshoot. A guy I record with a lot and I did a shootout with a Korean Strat, a Mexi Strat and 2 Custom Shop Strats, one was an SRV. He went with the Mexi becasue it sounded and played better.

We have a Sam Ash and GC within 15 minutes of me but i hate shopping there. There's always too many people banging away on something at any time of day. We have a small chain called George's music that is pretty good also. I wish we had a good used/vintage guitar shop around here. I'm actually thinking about the feasability of opening one myself.