treeduck

Jeez treeduck, your team is in salary cap hell. Something the Cowboys have been in several times. It's the all or nothing attitude that puts teams in this position.

Naaa we'll be fine, we'll be under the cap by the time free agency comes around and we'll make a few signings as well, our GM is a cap wizard. And I'd rather be in our position than someone like the Raiders with $50 million cap space but no one to pay, so they'll overpay Suh and someone else maybe one of your guys Bryant or Murray.

Possibly. I don't see Dez getting away. Suh would be an instant hit (pardon the pun) anywhere he lands. Him and Watt are the biggest impact players in the league.

With that said, your team is aging and your depth is eroding. Sorry treeduck, I'm speaking from experience, the Saints are on a rapid downhill fall.

You want us to be on a downhill fall I know but it's only happening in your imagination! You long for the SAINTS paper bag days to return. :LOL: In your mind we'll never have any good players again because of our cap! You guys on the other hand must be Super Bowl bound because you had a good year, and you did have a Super Bowl capable team last season with a 12-4 division winning record but you were gone after the divisional round. A chance squandered! Will it be back to 8-8 next season?

Meanwhile it's only the beginning of the good times for the SAINTS! :madra:

Barring an injury to Romo, we'll have a better record than the Saints. We are a better team at this point. Last year was no fluke. We have a good foundation finally. It's been a long long time.

I don't have any ill will towards the Saints as a team. I love Brees. Ryan is a joke and must have photos on someone in your front office. How else did he save his job? :LOL:

We'll see who has the better record.

One thing you might not understand though (just going back to your earlier point) is this, I don't fear a SAINTS fall like you would, this Brees-Payton era still feels like a new thing to me. I've followed this team since 1982 when they didn't even have a winning season to their name never mind play-off wins! I've been where that fall is for decades! So even a 7-9 season with Brees feels good to my sensibilities!

:LOL: Placing the bar pretty low with a Super Bowl quarterback and head coach aren't we?

The first season that I remember the Cowboys is 1976 and the great season of 1977 followed with my first year in pee-wee football. I was, and still am, a huge Tony Dorsett fan. Hell, I even wore Tony Dorsett Converse cleats. With that said, I've seen plenty of Super Bowl teams in my lifetime and we have one in the making. Don't let your hatred for the Cowboys distort the fact that we are on our way back...........................Finally.

I suppose the Saints could re-tool but it seems really doubtful. The sooner you get rid of Ryan, the better. I'll put the over/under for wins next year at 8. And that's only because your division stinks.

Jeez treeduck, your team is in salary cap hell. Something the Cowboys have been in several times. It's the all or nothing attitude that puts teams in this position.

Naaa we'll be fine, we'll be under the cap by the time free agency comes around and we'll make a few signings as well, our GM is a cap wizard. And I'd rather be in our position than someone like the Raiders with $50 million cap space but no one to pay, so they'll overpay Suh and someone else maybe one of your guys Bryant or Murray.

Possibly. I don't see Dez getting away. Suh would be an instant hit (pardon the pun) anywhere he lands. Him and Watt are the biggest impact players in the league.

With that said, your team is aging and your depth is eroding. Sorry treeduck, I'm speaking from experience, the Saints are on a rapid downhill fall.

You want us to be on a downhill fall I know but it's only happening in your imagination! You long for the SAINTS paper bag days to return. :LOL: In your mind we'll never have any good players again because of our cap! You guys on the other hand must be Super Bowl bound because you had a good year, and you did have a Super Bowl capable team last season with a 12-4 division winning record but you were gone after the divisional round. A chance squandered! Will it be back to 8-8 next season?

Barring an injury to Romo, we'll have a better record than the Saints. We are a better team at this point. Last year was no fluke. We have a good foundation finally. It's been a long long time.

I don't have any ill will towards the Saints as a team. I love Brees. Ryan is a joke and must have photos on someone in your front office. How else did he save his job? :LOL:

One thing you might not understand though (just going back to your earlier point) is this, I don't fear a SAINTS fall like you would, this Brees-Payton era still feels like a new thing to me. I've followed this team since 1982 when they didn't even have a winning season to their name never mind play-off wins! I've been where that fall is for decades! So even a 7-9 season with Brees feels good to my sensibilities!

:LOL: Placing the bar pretty low with a Super Bowl quarterback and head coach aren't we?

The first season that I remember the Cowboys is 1976 and the great season of 1977 followed with my first year in pee-wee football. I was, and still am, a huge Tony Dorsett fan. Hell, I even wore Tony Dorsett Converse cleats. With that said, I've seen plenty of Super Bowl teams in my lifetime and we have one in the making. Don't let your hatred for the Cowboys distort the fact that we are on our way back...........................Finally.

I suppose the Saints could re-tool but it seems really doubtful. The sooner you get rid of Ryan, the better. I'll put the over/under for wins next year at 8. And that's only because your division stinks.

Well you obviously have your opinion, for me I see 12 wins for the SAINTS in 2015 and maybe 8 for the Cowboys who will probably not be able to keep both Dez and Murray and won't be as lucky in tight games this time.

New Orleans Saints coaching changes appear to be nearing finish

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/saints_impact/photo/joel-thomasjpg-0931ad29d28ecdac.jpg

One day after a report said Arkansas running backs coach Joel Thomas was headed to the New Orleans Saints in the same role, neither the Razorbacks nor the Saints have officially confirmed the move.

But with college football's National Signing Day now over and most new coaching staffs nearly complete, the Saints don't have much longer to finish the staff changes they began nearly six weeks ago.

If Thomas does in fact become the Saints new running backs coach, it might push current running backs coach Dan Roushar to tight ends.

The Saints dismissed longtime tight ends coach Terry Malone after the season. Roushar coached tight ends at Michigan State before joining the Saints in 2013.

That would still leave a vacancy coaching receivers created by the firing of Henry Ellard.

John Morton is the most prominent unemployed NFL receivers coach with ties to the Saints and head coach Sean Payton. CoachingScoop.com identified him this weekend as a name to watch in the Saints' search.

Morton spent the last four years with the San Francisco 49ers and was originally expected to join coach Jim Harbaugh at Michigan. But Morton didn't join the staff in his home state and is currently a free agent of sorts, after the 49ers hired LSU receivers coach Adam Henry on Sunday to take his place.

Morton was an offensive assistant with the Saints in 2006, Payton's first year with the organization. Attempts to reach Morton were unsuccessful on Sunday.

The Saints haven't confirmed any of their coaching moves since the 2014 season ended with a 7-9 record. In addition to Malone and Ellard, assistant secondary coach Andre Curtis was also let go.

Malone told NOLA.com at the Senior Bowl that he was looking for opportunities both in the NFL and college ball.

Meanwhile, former Saints assistant John Bonamego was hired as head coach at Central Michigan, the last open head coaching job in the NCAA Bowl Subdivision.

A CMU alumnus, Bonamego was special teams coordinator for the Saints in 2006 and 2007 and assistant special teams coach in 2011.

Saints finally announce their coaching staff moves

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 11, 2015, 11:24 AM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwzjm2nkyzezmmmzmmjjnzy2mjczzmeznju3zgi3odc0.jpeg?w=250

We’ve known most of the big parts for some time, but the Saints finally announced their full coaching staff for the coming season.

Topping the list is former defensive coordinator and Raiders head coach Dennis Allen coming back as a senior defensive assistant, where he’ll work with defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

They’ve also hired John Morton as wide receivers coach, Joel Thomas as running backs coach, James Willis as defensive assistant/linebackers, Kyle DeVan and Greg Lewis as offensive assistants and Brendan Nugent as a coaching assistant.

Allen spent five years with the Saints before going to Denver as defensive coordinator in 2011, which led to his ill-fated gig with the Raiders.

Morton, who worked for Sean Payton’s first Saints staff in 2006, was most recently with the 49ers. Thomas spent the last two years coaching running backs at Arkansas.

Willis comes from Louisiana-Lafayette, but he had a seven-year NFL playing career with the Packers, Eagles and Seahawks, and he was also the defensive MVP of the XFL in 2001.

DeVan played five years in the NFL with the Colts, Eagles and Titans, and was a graduate assistant at Southern Cal last year.

Lewis played eight seasons in the NFL with the Eagles and Vikings, and was the receivers coach at the University of Pittsburgh last year. Nugent spent the last two years as a quality control coach for the Bears.

As part of their moves, they also announced that running backs coach Dan Roushar will move to tight ends coach.

The moves give Payton a 23-man staff, a large group to draw from.

Well you obviously have your opinion, for me I see 12 wins for the SAINTS in 2015 and maybe 8 for the Cowboys who will probably not be able to keep both Dez and Murray and won't be as lucky in tight games this time.

I Hope the Raiders pick up Murray!! :D

Tom Benson: Family lawsuits have only strengthened my resolve

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 10, 2015, 4:25 PM EST

tombenson-e1423603504912.jpeg?w=250

Shortly after news broke that Saints owner Tom Benson has been ordered to undergo a mental exam as family members claim in court that he’s not competent to manage his businesses, Benson released a statement saying that he’s more firm than ever in his belief that he knows what he’s doing.

The 87-year-old Benson released a statement saying his daughter and grandchildren will not be able to use the courts to gain control of his football team and other assets.

“While I am extremely disappointed in these lawsuits filed by Renee [benson], Rita [LeBlanc] and Ryan [LeBlanc] against me in Texas and Louisiana that have challenged my competency and my ability to manage my own assets, I must state right now that it has only strengthened my resolve to defend what I have built over the last fifty plus years,” Benson said in a statement. “The very businesses from which those that have brought these lawsuits have benefitted.

“I have instructed my attorneys to spare no effort in defending my rights and the decisions I have made. The decisions I have made are well within my rights to make at any point in my life, and rest assured that I am making sound decisions. I need not look any further than to read the allegations made against me in these multiple lawsuits to rest easy that I have made the correct decisions. As I stated on January 22, the decisions I am making now will benefit the long term success, stability and continuity of the New Orleans Saints, Pelicans and all of the businesses I have built. With stability and continuity comes success and with success comes great things for our community, our city, our state and most importantly, our fans.

“In addition, I have instructed my attorney Phil Wittmann to bring forth this medical exam of me as soon as possible. I look forward to taking this test. I respect the Honorable Kern Reese’ decision today, as I know he had a tough decision to make, but I look forward to putting this behind us and moving on.”

Benson insists that he will run his team as long as he lives and then bequeath the team to his wife. His daughter (from a previous marriage) and grandchildren insist that they won’t give up what they think is rightfully theirs without a fight. This is already a sordid family story, and it may get uglier, as neither side looks willing to back down.

They have the capspace, $50 million! Potentially they could sign any free agent they like, and probably two of the most sought after.

• Like 1

Bryant would be a waste, the Raiders don't have anyone to take advantage of his skills.

I can't see Murray wanting to use the rest of the useful part of his career running 350 times a year on a team going nowhere.

There is no where to go but up,

Murray would be a great fit for the Raiders!! :madra:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

They have the capspace, $50 million! Potentially they could sign any free agent they like, and probably two of the most sought after.

Yep,

The door is wide open! :dweez:

Yep,

So maybe Suh and Murray! Bad news for Lions fans :( and bad news for Cowboys fans! :banana: :cheerleader: :yay: :clap: :joker:

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 2

Yep,

So maybe Suh and Murray! Bad news for Lions fans :( and bad news for Cowboys fans! :banana: :cheerleader: :yay: :clap: :joker:

Boy that would be awesome!! :dweez:

Yep,

Boy that would be awesome!! :dweez:

Aye! :D-13:

http://walterfootball.com/jscss/Images/Logos/MED/NOS.gifSAINTS Draft Prospect Visits

Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson (SR)

Blake Bell, TE, Oklahoma (EW)

Bryce Callahan, CB, Rice (EW)

Sam Carter, S, TCU (EW)

David Cobb, RB, Minnesota (SR)

La'el Collins, OT, LSU (SR)

Devante Davis, WR, UNLV (SR)

Dillon Day, C, Mississippi State (EW)

Doran Grant, CB/S, Ohio State (SR)

Geneo Grissom, OLB/DE/3-4OLB, Oklahoma (SR)

Amarlo Herrera, ILB, Georgia (EW)

Jordan Hicks, OLB, Texas (SR)

Darrian Miller, OT, Kentucky (EW)

Jordan Richards, S, Stanford (EW)

JaCorey Shepherd, CB, Kansas (SR)

Preston Smith, DE, Mississippi State (SR)

Tye Smith, CB, Towson (EW)

Martrell Spaight, OLB, Arkansas (SR)

Gabe Wright, DT, Auburn (SR)

http://media.nola.com/saints_impact/photo/new-assistants-slidejpg-4826ce33c28bbc82.jpg

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/pgmain/img/tpphotos/photo/2013/08/13263007-standard.jpg

DENNIS ALLEN, senior defensive assistant

Alma mater: Texas A&M

Most recently: Head coach of the Oakland Raiders until he was fired on Sept. 29, 2014 after posting an 8-22 record in two-plus seasons.

Connection to the Saints: An assistant here from 2006-2010.

Other notable stops: Tulsa (2000-2001), Falcons (2002-2005), Broncos (2011).

The skinny: Allen was listed near the top of the list of Saints' assistant coaches released by the team, and not just because his last name begins with an "A." Allen is expected to have an important role in advising the defense, and it's unclear how that division of power will coexist with defensive coordinator Rob Ryan's responsibilities.

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/pgmain/img/saints_impact/photo/kyle-devanjpg-facea8006b031f3b.jpg

KYLE DeVAN, offensive assistant

Alma mater: Oregon State

Most recently: Graduate assistant for Southern California in 2014.

Connection to the Saints: He started Super Bowl XLIV for the Indianapolis Colts.

Other notable stops: Oregon State (2013).

The skinny: DeVan will work with Saints offensive line coach Bret Ingalls after

spending the last two seasons as a graduate assistant in the Pac-12. DeVan

started 21 games in parts of five seasons with five NFL teams from 2008-2012.

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/pgmain/img/saints_impact/photo/lewis-domonique-foxworth-54f07fb2d83d406b.jpg

GREG LEWIS, offensive assistant

Alma mater: Illinois

Most recently: Receivers coach for Pittsburgh Panthers (2014).

Connection to the Saints: Saints special teams coordinator Greg McMahon was an assistant at Illinois while Lewis was a player. Lewis and new receivers coach John Morton both coached at San Diego, although at different times.

Other notable stops: UOther notable stops: University of San Diego (2012), San Jose State (2013).

The skinny: Lewis is a veteran NFL receiver who returns to the league after three college stops. He'll assist new receivers coach John Morton.

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/pgmain/img/saints_impact/photo/john-mortonjpg-f7fe70a1ee15b050.jpg

JOHN MORTON, receivers coach

Alma mater: Western Michigan

Most recently: Receivers coach for 49ers (2011-2014).

Connection to the Saints: Offensive assistant on Payton's first staff in 2006.

Other notable stops: Oakland Raiders (2002-04), University of San Diego (2005), Southern California (2007-2011).

The skinny: Morton grew up in Michigan, but instead of following Jim Harbaugh to Wolverines, he opted to stay in the NFL with the Saints. He'll inherit a unit that was part of the NFL's top-ranked offense but was plagued at times by dropped passes.

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/pgmain/img/saints_impact/photo/16989126-standard.jpg

BRENDAN NUGENT, coaching assistant

Alma mater: Catholic University/Iowa

Most recently: Quality control coach for Bears (2013-2014).

Connection to the Saints: Uncertain.

Other notable stops: William & Mary (2007-2011), Montreal Alouettes (2012).

The skinny: Listed as a coaching assistant, it's unclear what role Nugent will have. He may have administrative or video duties, rather than responsbility for part of a position group.

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/pgmain/img/saints_impact/photo/joel-thomasjpg-0931ad29d28ecdac.jpg

JOEL THOMAS, running backs coach

Alma mater: Idaho

Most recently: Arkansas running backs coach (2013-2014).

Connection to the Saints: Was a graduate assistant at Purdue while quarterback Drew Brees was a Boilermaker. Graduated from Idaho, alma mater of Saints offensive line coach Bret Ingalls (although the two were never on the same staff).

Other notable stops: Louisville (2002-03), Idaho (2004-05), Purdue (2006-08), Washington (2009-2012).

The skinny: The arrival of Thomas shifts current Saints coach Dan Roushar to tight ends. Thomas has a well-respected college resume. This is his first full-time stop in the NFL.

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/pgmain/img/saints_impact/photo/james-willisjpg-b4aec0f077b7e2a7.jpg

JAMES WILLIS, defensive assistant, linebackers

Alma mater: Auburn

Most recently: ULL defensive coordinator (2013-2014).

Connection to the Saints: On Alabama coaching staff in 2009 when Saints safety Vinnie Sunseri, running back Mark Ingram and defensive lineman Brandon Deaderick played for Tide.

Other notable stops: Rhode Island (2004-2005), Temple (2005), Auburn (2006-2008), Alabama (2009), Texas Tech (2010).

The skinny: Willis has a strong resume and reportedly turned down an offer to coach linebackers at Florida State last year. So what intrigued him about an being an assistant position coach with the Saints? Sean Payton was clearly able to offer competitive salaries, and he may have promised more important roles to veterans like Willis and Greg Lewis.

Yep,

Murray has alread said it's not just about the money. He does want compensation obviously but he said one of the biggest factors is going to a place where he can win a Super Bowl. We'll keep him and Dez. And if we lose him, Adrian Peterson could wind up here anyway.

Expect Dennis Allen to provide plenty of input in fixing New Orleans Saints' defense: Larry Holder

http://www.djbootleg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/8037386.jpg

Dennis Allen's hierarchy within the New Orleans Saints' coaching staff is the most glaring of the team's personnel changes announced Wednesday morning.

As I alluded to a couple of weeks ago, Allen joins the Saints' staff as a "senior defensive assistant," not specifically assigned to any position group. The pecking order in which the Saints list Allen also signifies his hefty role within the organization.

Allen sits only two pegs beneath Sean Payton and assistant head coach/linebackers coach Joe Vitt on the coaching roster. Allen, the former Raiders head coach and Broncos defensive coordinator, is even listed above offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

Coaching

Sean Payton Head Coach

Joe Vitt Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers

Dennis Allen Senior Defensive Assistant

Pete Carmichael

Offensive Coordinator

Rob Ryan Defensive Coordinator

Greg McMahon Special Teams Coordinator

Am I reading too much into a list? Possibly. But I also know how much Payton lauds Allen at every chance and how much he values Allen's knowledge and coaching methods.

I still think Ryan will be in control of the defense, but Allen will undoubtedly place his mark on the unit. It might not be as "co-defensive coordinator," but there will be constant collaboration among the two defensive minds and Payton.

I also like moving running backs coach Dan Roushar to tight ends.

A fresh voice for Jimmy Graham can't hurt after the Pro Bowl tight end's down year. Roushar helped spark the ground game last year; Payton is probably hoping Roushar will do the same with Graham.

The Saints also looked for a coach at the wide receiver position (John Morton), rather than a former player who became a coach (Henry Ellard). New Orleans found success using the formula with Curtis Johnson, and the familiarity with Morton (previously a Saints assistant in 2006) makes this a smart choice.

New Orleans Saints' Delvin Breaux part of CFL-to-NFL trend

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/saints_impact/photo/16849962-mmmain.jpg

On the official NFL calendar, Tuesday is the first day players with expiring contracts in the Canadian Football League can sign with NFL clubs.

In reality, however, many of the most tantalizing prospects from north of the border have already signed NFL deals.

Cornerback Delvin Breaux signed with the New Orleans Saints last month after his former team, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, agreed to release him as a goodwill gesture of sorts.

Saskatchewan Roughriders offensive tackle Ben Heenan and Montreal Alouettes receiver Duron Carter signed with the Indianapolis Colts.

The New York Giants plan to sign Calgary Stampeders offensive lineman Brett Jones.

CFL executives expect the NFL to continue to look to Canada for promising players.

"I just think it's important for our league to keep our good guys as long as we can," Saskatchewan general manager Brendan Taman told the Winnipeg Sun. "I mean, if they're a free agent, they're a free agent and they can go to the NFL or the CFL or wherever. But the trend is that the NFL is coming to get our good players. That's the trend. That's where this is going."

NFL teams are limited in the signing bonuses they can offer CFL free agents, but they can sweeten the deals by guaranteeing a portion of the contract. That's what the Saints did for Breaux, guaranteeing $138,000 of his first-year base salary in addition to the $12,000 signing bonus. By contrast, Carter's contract contained $25,000 in guarantees.

The Saints signed defensive backs Marcus Ball and Derrius Brooks from the CFL last year. Ball made the roster, while Brooks spent most of the year on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers practice squad.

The Saints also drafted Akiem Hicks in 2012 out of the University of Regina, a school in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan.

Saints better plan to be without Junior Galette with NFL's cloudy conduct policy

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/tpphotos/photo/2014/12/28/16656936-mmmain.jpg

If I'm the New Orleans Saints, I prepare myself for life without linebacker Junior Galette.

The pace and lack of a resolution on the NFL's discipline for free-agent-to-be defensive end Greg Hardy should tell the Saints as much.

Galette, the Saints' sack leader in 2014 was arrested Jan. 5 on a misdemeanor charge involving domestic violence with a woman. He's scheduled to appear in a Kenner courtroom for the first time to address the charge Feb. 26.

That's nearly two months since the NFL began to "look into it," according to the league office. As of Tuesday, the NFL still provided no timetable for a decision on Galette's playing status with league spokesman Greg Aiello simply saying via email the case "is under review."

I'm not completely irrational, though. I can understand the NFL not launching into conclusions considering Galette hasn't even been to court yet concerning the incident at his Kenner home.

Maybe it's even worth lauding the NFL for not coming down immediately with hellfire and brimstone since Galette's arrest occurred on the heels of the league's new personal conduct policy. The heat of the public's interrogation lamp on the league involving players and domestic violence remains surface of the sun-style scorching hot.

Two months seemed like enough time for the NFL to determine Hardy's punishment as a judge convicted the Panthers defensive end on the charge July 15. Hardy then immediately asked for a jury trial, which by North Carolina law wiped away the conviction.

Seven months passed and the league did nothing other than allow the Panthers to place Hardy on the commissioner's exempt list. Hardy collected his entire $13.1 million salary while on a paid vacation for the final 15 weeks of the NFL regular season.

Abruptly, the case against Hardy was dismissed Monday. A lack of cooperation by the accuser and a civil settlement assumed by the district attorney between Hardy and the accuser led to the kibosh of the case.

The NFL's new personal conduct policy put into place by the league in late December (and at the NFLPA's begrudging as the players' union filed a grievance to halt the new policy). The most significant bullet point of the entire policy reads like this:

"If you are convicted of a crime or subject to a disposition of a criminal proceeding, you are subject to discipline. But even if your conduct does not result in a criminal conviction, if the league finds that you have engaged in conduct (prohibited by the policy), you will be subject to discipline."

Furthermore, the NFL could implement "a baseline suspension of six games without pay for violations involving assault, battery, domestic violence, dating violence, child abuse, other forms of family violence, or sexual assault, with consideration given to possible mitigating or aggravating circumstances."

Gabe Feldman, Director of the Tulane Sports Law Program, said the NFL's handling of the Hardy case will be the litmus test for the league in trying to implement the new personal conduct policy.

Does the NFL come down on Hardy after being convicted once? Do they uphold the tainted dismissal as some justification to let Hardy walk without penalty?

"I think the NFL is in a bit of a no-win situation because they will be criticized if they defer to the criminal justice system and they'll criticized if they don't," Feldman said. "There's no right answer there."

Feldman warned how early the proceedings are in the Galette case that no one is certain of where this case may turn. The problem Hardy faces now and Galette faces in the future are the uncertainty of how the NFL will conduct its penalties.

Galette and his legal team will certainly be paying close attention to this.

"(The NFL's handling of the Hardy case) will help create some sort of a blueprint for Junior Galette going forward in terms of what he can expect assuming Hardy is prosecuted under the new policy," Feldman said. "Right now we have a lot of detail on paper, but we've yet to see how this is executed and practiced."

Here's where the problem lies for the Saints.

Galette has all kinds of time to battle the charge in court and within the league office. The Saints don't possess that luxury as they can't afford to be blindsided by any pending suspension without a backup or maybe more permanent plan.

Carolina's waiting game is over. Hardy's career with the Panthers is likely over with Hardy set to become a free agent March 10. The Panthers are moving on from Hardy.

This doesn't seem like the case as of now for Galette and the Saints. Galette is under contract for five more years after inking a hefty extension just before the beginning of the 2014 season.

It's been nine months since for the NFL to make a move on Hardy and nothing yet.

All the Saints can do with Galette is wait for the league and legal process take its course. The wait apparently bears no ceiling judging by the Hardy case.

In the meantime, the Saints better protect themselves as there's no telling when, if or how long the team could be without Galette.

Saints re-sign offensive lineman Senio Kelemete

http://i.imgur.com/Mx5pC3M.jpg

The Saints made a procedural move by re-signing Senio Kelemete.

The offensive lineman was an exclusive-rights free agent. He will return to the team on a one-year, $585,000 deal, a source confirmed.

A reserve offensive lineman, Kelemete logged six snaps last season. He spent most of the 2013 season on the practice squad.

Kelemete was the only exclusive-rights free agent on New Orleans’ roster.

How did the Saints put together their magical Super Bowl season? Their story is ‘priceless,’ as GM Mickey Loomis says

http://i.imgur.com/L8pvDWi.jpg

In the days leading up to the start of training camp in late July 2009, the New Orleans Saints were anything but a fashionable pick to win Super Bowl XLIV.

The Saints were coming off an 8-8 season in 2008, which followed a 7-9 campaign after Sean Payton, in his first season as a head coach in 2006, led his team to the NFC South title and an appearance in the NFC championship game.

Even that was a distant memory, however, when the Saints compiled a 15-17 record over the next two seasons — especially in the eyes of the Las Vegas oddsmakers.

According to Bovada, the 2009 Saints were no better than a 20 to 1 shot (tied for sixth among NFC teams) to win the Super Bowl — a game that eluded the franchise in its first 42 years of existence.

Until 2006, when the Saints lost in the NFC title game to the Chicago Bears, they hadn’t even come close to a Super Bowl and the opportunity to play for the NFL’s ultimate prize — a shiny Vince Lombardi Trophy.

That all changed when the Saints, behind a potent offense led by Payton’s imaginative play-calling and quarterback Drew Brees’ pinpoint passing as well as a ball-hawking defense, stunned the football world.

The Saints started out 13-0, and, despite a three-game losing skid to end the regular season, won Super Bowl XLIV five years ago — on Feb. 7, 2010 — defeating the Indianapolis Colts 31-17 in Miami Gardens, Florida.

To be sure, it was a magical season that ended with a Mardi Gras-style parade through downtown New Orleans — the likes of which many long-suffering fans believed they’d never live long enough to see.

Five years later, as he tries to find ways to put a team together to get the franchise back to the NFL’s pinnacle, General Manager Mickey Loomis is constantly reminded of that season.

Yet, he admits he hasn’t thought much about how it happened.

“I really haven’t spent a lot of time reflecting back on that yet,” Loomis said Friday. “I will … at some point.”

There was talent and great character in the locker room, of course, but one of the things that came to mind quickly was the determination the Saints played with that season.

A year earlier, six of the Saints’ eight losses were by five points or fewer — one of the things that resonated throughout that entire offseason with Payton and his coaching staff.

“There were a number of games that we had an opportunity to win, but we didn’t finish well,” Loomis said. “That was a theme for the 2009 season: We had to find a way to do a better job finishing games. That was one of the primary things.”

Another big thing was adding more pieces to the puzzle.

While the 2008 Saints offense was set after leading the NFL in total yards and scoring, the team ranked 23rd in defense and tied for 26th in points allowed.

What they needed was a new defensive coordinator, a new scheme and some difference-makers on that side of the ball. All that came with the addition of Gregg Williams to run the defense and an injection of playmakers — especially in the secondary.

“I knew we had the right head coach,” Loomis said. “I thought we were going in the right direction and we were making progress; we just had to finish games that were right there in front of us.

“So going into that season, we were looking for improvement,” he added. “We got it. … It’s as simple as that.”

While the offense was up to its old tricks with Brees carving up opposing defenses, the new-look defense that featured safety Darren Sharper and cornerbacks Jabari Greer and Malcolm Jenkins, started taking the ball away with more regularity.

The Saints wound up with 39 takeaways in the regular season and eight more in three postseason games — giving Payton, Brees and the rest of the offense even more opportunities to do some damage.

“Gregg Williams did a great job, and our defensive coaches did a great job, that year of creating opportunities for our offense,” Loomis said. “That was a big difference from the year before.”

With the offense, defense and special teams working in unison, the Saints blitzed through their first 13 opponentsalthough they did have a scare in games at Miami and Washington.

They trailed 24-3 just before halftime against the Dolphins before roaring back for a 46-34 win in late October and were down by 10 in the fourth quarter against the Redskins before tying it and winning 33-30 in overtime in early December.

“I don’t know if I’d say that the Miami game was a turning point in the season, because we were already 5-0, but we got down early and came back and won it going away,” he said.

“I think that gave our entire club a lot of confidence for the rest of the season.”

Of course, the Saints, who later lost three consecutive games to close out the regular season, would return to that same stadium 105 days later after two big playoff wins at home to, ironically, do what they couldn’t do a year earlier — finish off the job.

“A lot of people were kind of writing us off after we lost those last three games,” Loomis recalled, “but then we came on like gangbusters in the postseason.”

In the Super Bowl, they trailed 10-6 at halftime when Payton rolled the dice on the now-famous onside kick dubbed “Ambush” to start the second half. The Saints recovered after a wild scrum, which helped them take the lead for the first time a few minutes later.

Loomis said he knew Payton had the trick play in his back pocket, but didn’t know when he would use what became one of the gutsiest calls in Super Bowl history.

“I thought he might do it after our first score and then we had that long halftime, and I remember thinking, ‘Hell, he might come out and do this onside kick,’ ” he said. “I didn’t know for sure, but, look, you know Sean is aggressive, and I expected it at some point in the game.”

Sufficiently inspired, the Saints took the lead off that momentum-building play.

Then, after the Colts went back in front, Brees led his team on a touchdown drive before Tracy Porter’s interception and 74-yard score against Peyton Manning virtually sealed the deal with 3:12 remaining.

“That pick-six was incredible, and we were all jumping around up in our booth, but we knew Peyton Manning was down there, for crying out loud, and there was still time left,” Loomis said. “The game wasn’t over.”

But it essentially was, and all that was left was the shouting, which is one of the things Loomis said he’ll cherish forever.

While he was hesitant to pick one memory from that season or Super Bowl XLIV, Loomis said he’ll always remember the pure joy the victory brought to the hurricane-ravaged region.

“When I saw the joy it brought to our players and coaches, our owner, the people in our building — and the fans — their reaction, that’s priceless,” Loomis said. “People tell me all the time about watching the game at home and running out into their yards and screaming after Tracy’s interception, and seeing their neighbors doing the same thing.

“That’s emotional, that’s great stuff. I know how much the community and the state and our fans have been invested in our team for so many years. For that to finally happen and for those people to enjoy it that much, that’s pretty special.”

Special, indeed. And Super.

Edited by treeduck

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. joins list of experts predicting the Saints will draft Florida defensive end Dante Fowler

http://i.imgur.com/GVJC8q2.jpg

I appears a consensus has been reached. And that consensus says the New Orleans Saints will select Florida linebacker/defensive end Dante Fowler Jr. with the 13th pick of the NFL draft.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper joined the fray by giving the Saints Fowler in his latest mock draft.

Everyone seems to be mocking the 6-foot-2, 271-pounder to the Saints. It makes sense. New Orleans needs more pass rushers and could be without Junior Galette at the start of the season for disciplinary reasons.

Fowler recorded 50 tackles, 10.5 for a loss, and 3.5 sacks last season.

Here is Kiper’s reasoning for the pick:

“Adding a pass-rusher of Fowler’s pedigree outside the top 10 is a really good get, as I think he’s a guy who comes in and competes for a ton of reps right away. Fowler isn’t dominant in any one area; he’s a good pass-rusher, not a great one, and an effective run defender, but not a destroyer in that area, either. But he also doesn’t come in with a clear weakness.”

Here was my quick take the last time Fowler’s name came up:

“In a quick look at Fowler’s film, the first thing you notice is that he is not tethered to any one position on the field. He can move across the line and play linebacker on both the strong and weak sides. If he’s to play end in a 4-3 defensive front, he might need to add some bulk. One thing that might turn the Saints off is that he does not appear to be an instinctive run stopper — which is an issue the team currently battles with Junior Galette.”

• Like 1

Report: Saints re-sign outside linebacker Parys Haralson

Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 12, 2015, 1:23 PM EST

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/15/files/2015/02/rob-ryan-parys-haralson-nfl-new-orleans-saints-carolina-panthers-850x560.jpg

The Saints are bringing back one of their potential unrestricted free agents.

The club has re-signed outside linebacker Parys Haralson, Katherine Terrell of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported Thursday.

The 31-year-old Haralson played all 16 games (12 starts) for New Orleans in 2014, racking up 35 tackles and 3.5 sacks.

Haralson (6-0, 255) played his first seven NFL seasons with San Francisco before being traded to New Orleans in 2013. He has started 88 regular season games since entering the league in 2006.

The offensive lineman was an exclusive-rights free agent. He will return to the team on a one-year, $585,000 deal, a source confirmed.

A reserve offensive lineman, Kelemete logged six snaps last season. He spent most of the 2013 season on the practice squad.

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

How much did the Vegas line on the Saints Super Bowl odds move on this news??

:syrinx:

Here's a more exciting one for the Vegas boys!

Report: Saints re-sign PK Shayne Graham

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwuwn2u4ndu4ntu1ogvmogewmme4mduxntzkmtc0njqz-e1423779243813.jpeg?w=221

Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 12, 2015, 5:20 PM EST

The Saints are bringing back their kicker from a season ago.

New Orleans has signed Shayne Graham to a one-year contract, Mike Garafolo of FoxSports.com reported on Thursday.

The 37-year-old Graham connected on 19-of-22 field goals for New Orleans in 2014 (.864). All three of his misses were from 40 yards and out. Punter Thomas Morstead handles kickoffs for the Saints, making Graham a placement specialist for the club.

For his career, Graham has hit 266-of-311 field goals (.855).

Graham’s re-signing will give the Saints two kickers on the roster. The club also has ex-Bill Dustin Hopkins under contract.