Most underrated musicians

fraroc

Title is pretty self explanatory. Who are the musicians that in YOUR book, just never got the recognition they deserved?

Guitar: I'd say that Kane Roberts of Alice Cooper's band and Bruce Kulick of KISS and Grand Funk Railroad are the two most underrated guitarists. Both have a great style of playing and brought a lot to the bands that they were in. And not only that, Kane has a pretty good voice.

Kane Roberts:

Bruce Kulick:

Bass: It's hard to say who the most underrated bassist is. I'd say that Cliff Burton is unfortunatley more remembered by the general public for the fact that he died more than his bass skills. Lemmy Kilmeister has a very unique rhythm guitar style bass playing going on doing a very uncommon thing for the bass, strumming. I'd even say that Gene Simmons isn't as bad of a bass player as people say he is. He's no Geddy, that's for sure, but he's not bad.

Cliff Burton's Anesthesia:

Lemmy's bass playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY_iJw_M3lA

Singers: For singers, I'd say that when it comes to 70s rock, people will give all the props to Freddy Mercury, Robert Plant, and Brad Delp, but Steve Walsh of Kansas kinda gets put aside in those discussions. In his prime from 1974-1990, he was an absolutely fantastic vocalist with an amazing vocal range. Sadly, he lost a good chunk of his range when he started doing drugs. His voice changed from sort of a smooth sounding voice to a more shrill and rough sounding voice. However, he was still very good even in his last years with Kansas.

Carry On Wayward Son from 1978:

Drummers: I actually recently discovered a drummer not too long ago that I find to be VERY underrated. A German drummer by the name of CC Behrens. What makes him unique to me is the two COMPLETLEY different styles of music he has played in his career. He is a member of an 80s heavy metal band from Germany called Fair Warning while also being a member of the 1980s euro synthpop/new wave group Silent Circle.

CC Behrens drum solo

with Silent Circle:

with Fair Warning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUW7K23scrk

Everyone from Animal Collective writes fantastic music. They are not often show offs, but that's because what fits the music is more important.

Weird Al deserves more respect as a musician in general

There is this drummer named Jeremy Hyman, who has to be the fastest drummer who can control his dynamics and accents like crazy. He has played for various groups.

• Like 2

Shooting Star was a band that was underdeveloped. . Maybe not underrated, but in my opinion they could have done so much more if not screwed by their label when "Last Chance" became a radio hit.

King Crimson: The huge impact this band had on bands that followed is hard to measure. They've had some success, but I believe they are highly underrated.

Dixie Dregs: Unknown and under-appreciated for the most part. Their work speaks for itself.

Honorable mention: "Winger"! What did they do wrong? In my estimation they weren't one of the hair-bands that made a mockery of rock music. At least they had musicianship and good songwriting. Underrated. Sorry. Someone needs to stick up for them. Beavis and Butthead cast a dark shadow on that band for no good reason...

Shooting Star was a band that was underdeveloped. . Maybe not underrated, but in my opinion they could have done so much more if not screwed by their label when "Last Chance" became a radio hit.

King Crimson: The huge impact this band had on bands that followed is hard to measure. They've had some success, but I believe they are highly underrated.

Dixie Dregs: Unknown and under-appreciated for the most part. Their work speaks for itself.

Honorable mention: "Winger"! What did they do wrong? In my estimation they weren't one of the hair-bands that made a mockery of rock music. At least they had musicianship and good songwriting. Underrated. Sorry. Someone needs to stick up for them. Beavis and Butthead cast a dark shadow on that band for no good reason...

The Dregs is a great call!

I have to go with an East Bay band close to my heart. Y&T! "Yesterday & Today." Dave Meniketti is one of the greatest guitar players in the world. Absolutely no respect!

• Like 2

Two Words...

STEVE STEVENS

steve_stevens_2004_68_std2.jpg

OMG!!! I absolutely love Steve!! Billy Idoi is playing in Oakland on my birthday! Feb 15th!!!! I can't wait! I've never seen him live before! I can't wait to watch Steve tear it up!

The new Billy Idol album is GREAT!

Do you have The Atomic Playboys album? You must!

• Like 1

The singer and all of the musicians on the Genesis album "Calling All Stations." Banks and Rutherford hit a grand slam with that record.

Sadly the world rejected it.

There is a new Genesis documentary out with everyone back together again telling stories. The "Calling All Stations" album wasn't even mentioned!

Unreal.

I feel "Shipwrecked!"

That my friends is my favorite song on that album!

Mahavishnu Orchestra.. Good shit.

Holy Shit! Welcome to the forum! You just hit a home run! John McLaughlin is one of the greatest guitarists in all of the world!

Billy Cobham? Are you shitting me? One of the best ever!! John is on "Bitches Brew!" What a wonderful wicked bitch of a record filled with musical wizardry!

"Birds Of Fire!"

"The Inner Mounting Flame!"

Huey Lewis!

Has to be done. Local guy! Was friends with Phi Lynott! He's on some live Lizzy. He's on a Phil solo album!

Huey Lewis And The News is underrated.

Everyone on the Rush Forum has a hard on for the boys to play "Jacob's Ladder" again. Well I think Huey's tune of the same title is amazing! It's on the "Fore!" album. Underrated stuff!

Have you ever seen the movie "Short Cuts?" Huey Lewis is in the movie and you can see his penis. Let's just say the man is blessed.

Everyone on here has a hard on for "The Trees." Well I love "Forest For The Trees." It's also on "Fore!" Huey Rocks!

He has "The Heart Of Rock And Roll"

• Like 2

The singer and all of the musicians on the Genesis album "Calling All Stations." Banks and Rutherford hit a grand slam with that record.

Sadly the world rejected it.

There is a new Genesis documentary out with everyone back together again telling stories. The "Calling All Stations" album wasn't even mentioned!

Unreal.

I feel "Shipwrecked!"

That my friends is my favorite song on that album!

Wow really? I think it's a solid record, sadly it's a Genesis record and it really shouldn't be. It's mostly good though, I agree it's been shunned and maybe rightly so.

Shipwrecked is actually my least favorite tune. I thought some of the outtakes were better than some of the album tracks, BTJM, YMMVOC.

Oh and Jacob's Ladder is actually a Bruce Hornsby tune.

Edited by Digital Dad

The bee gees-Yea the disco stuff broke them to the public but they had a WHOLE career of great pop song writing before that.

Elvis Costello- Never hear him talked about and the man is brilliant.

Lindsey Buckingham- My fav Guitar player and has a small but stellar solo career

Toto

Tom Waits- Hardcore music fans may praise him.......but he's never been popular.

Mick

• Like 2

Earl,

You are going to love Billy Idol.

Just saw him in NJ the other night, he was just fantastic.

I don't have any of Steve's stuff, but they are on my list.

Kings & Queens of the Underground just might be my favourite release of 2014.

Enjoy the big rock show!

http://onthelistpresents.smugmug.com/Billy-Idol-2015/North-America/Montclair-12915/i-59d3zv7/0/S/IMG_1194-S.jpg

Guitar: Big Star's Chris Bell and Alex Chilton. Some of the best melody driven songwriting backed up with great guitar riffs and hooks and solos, #1 Record and Radio City are not just great power pop albums, they are great guitar albums.

Bass Guitar: Wire's Graham Lewis. Very melodic bass lines, the secret weapon of Wire's repertoire.

Drums: Big Country's Mark Brzezicki. He also played on some of Pete Townshend's solo albums. Powerful drumming that doesn't distract from the song.

Edited by ReRushed

Toto

How is Toto underrated?

Toto has 8-10 very good songs and albums full of boring, mundane crap.

I'd rather go to a dentist than listen to Hydra or Fahrenheit, for example. :D

"Endless" is very underrated song though. It kicks ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntu5GumlKqU

Steven Adler Guns N Roses. Blows Matt Sorum away. Too bad the drugs got in the way.

I thought I was the only one. I liked Steve's drum parts better, too. He did shoot himself in the foot with coke, though.