2015-2016 Chicago Bears Thread - Year of the Fox

The Analog Cub

OLB Pernell McPhee from the Ravens signing a 5 year deal with the Bears for $40mil tomorrow when his free agency begins tomorrow.

http://www.baltimore...0309-story.html

Is he the next Daniel Ellerbee?

OLB Pernell McPhee from the Ravens signing a 5 year deal with the Bears for $40mil tomorrow when his free agency begins tomorrow.

Which one, the one who was solid in Baltimore or the injured one in Miami?

Which one, the one who was solid in Baltimore or the injured one in Miami?

The one who was mediocre at best before he got injured in Miami. I guess he needed to have a lesser role, be surrounded by better talent or both.

Not surprising at all to anybody, Cutler expected to stay with the Bears this year http://espn.go.com/c...cago-bears-2015

Like...

Might as well keep Cutler. They would be selling low and at least for this season, there is not a better option

Maybe Chip Kelly will trade for him. Do they have any draft picks left?

ETA, maybe they can bring Jake Locker out of retirement. He has no desire to play either, but at least he's not an a-hole about it.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Bears GM Ryan Pace: “We’re moving forward with Jay Cutler”

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 11, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT

New Bears coach John Fox and General Manager Ryan Pace have been noncommittal about Jay Cutler as their starting quarterback. Until today.

Pace said this afternoon, in no uncertain terms, that Cutler is the Bears’ starting quarterback for the 2015 season.

“We’re moving forward with Jay Cutler as our starting quarterback,” Pace said.

Realistically, that’s the only option available to the Bears. Cutler is due a $15.5 million guaranteed salary this season, and the Bears simply can’t afford to cut him and eat that salary. Nor can they trade him, because no other team would want to take on that salary.

It’s also highly likely that Cutler will be the Bears’ 2016 starting quarterback as well, as he has a $10 million guarantee for next year. The old Bears regime gave Cutler a huge contract, and the new Bears regime will have to live with it.

And so the Bears and Cutler are married for the foreseeable future. Whether it’s a happy marriage remains to be seen.

Bears just picked up saftey Antrel Rolle, who just came off 5 good years with the Giants. Assuming he stays healthy, I'm pretty optimistic about this one!

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12465426/antrel-rolle-signs-chicago-bears-3-years-1125-million

Safety Antrel Rolle has signed a three-year, $11.25 million deal, including $5 million guaranteed, with the Chicago Bears, his agent announced.

Rolle joins the Bears from the New York Giants. He signed a five-year, $37.1 million contract with the Giants before the 2010 season and played every game of it, including the four games in the Giants' run to the Super Bowl XLVI title after the 2011 season. He also spent the past two years as a team captain and earned a reputation among players and coaches alike as a strong leader and team player.

Rolle, 32, recorded 464 tackles and 14 interceptions in his five seasons with the Giants and has a total of 799 tackles and 26 interceptions in his 10-year NFL career. He was a first-round pick (No. 8 overall) by the Arizona Cardinals in the 2005 draft out of the University of Miami, and he spent the first five years of his NFL career with the Cardinals."I don't think I've ever been involved with a player who was more sincerely interested in how his team could improve," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said of Rolle at the scouting combine in February. "And I admire that very much in him as a young man and as a leader."

Rolle was selected to the Pro Bowl after the 2009, 2010 and 2013 seasons.

This sucks, just got this in my email from Chicago Trib

Former Bear Doug Buffone found dead at home

Former Chicago Bear Douglas Buffone, the all-time leader in games played for the organization, has died at the age of 71, police said.

Bummer,

RIP :rose:

Thats a nice number of interceptions. Especially the first two.

Edited by troutman

I have the 49ers beating the Bears on Dec 6th.

I'm very curious what the 49ers are going to be like without Harbaugh and a disappointing season for Kaepernick. An interesting rebuild or an absolute garbage season?

I guess you could say the same about Da Bears, though.

I have the 49ers beating the Bears on Dec 6th.

I'm very curious what the 49ers are going to be like without Harbaugh and a disappointing season for Kaepernick. An interesting rebuild or an absolute garbage season?

I guess you could say the same about Da Bears, though.

The only thing you can be sure about this game is that there won't be any playoff implications.

• Like 2

Unless we knock it out of the park with the draft and Fox rewrites the offensive playbook, I'd say our chances at taking the division are non-existent with Green Bay to fight against. Even then, I don't see it happening.

Bears signed 15 undrafted free agents yesterday http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Bears-add-15-undrafted-free-agents/fd785ff5-f723-4afb-aadd-834a17e96f2d

Jonathon Anderson - LB - TCU

Bryce Callahan - CB - Rice

Shane Carden - QB - East Carolina

Qumain Black - CB - East Carolina

Jeremiah Detmer - K - Toledo

Jacoby Glenn - CB - Central Florida

Chad Hamilton - Guard - Coastal Carolina

Anthony Jefferson - S - UCLA

Cameron Jefferson - OT - Arkansas

Rick Lovato - Long snapper - Old Dominion

Cameron Meredith - WR - Illinois State

Levi Norwood - WR - Baylor

Olsen Pierre - DE - Miami

John Timu - LB - Washington

Brian Vogler - TE - Alabama

Bears signed 15 undrafted free agents yesterday http://www.chicagobe...dd-834a17e96f2d

Jonathon Anderson - LB - TCU

Bryce Callahan - CB - Rice

Shane Carden - QB - East Carolina

Qumain Black - CB - East Carolina

Jeremiah Detmer - K - Toledo

Jacoby Glenn - CB - Central Florida

Chad Hamilton - Guard - Coastal Carolina

Anthony Jefferson - S - UCLA

Cameron Jefferson - OT - Arkansas

Rick Lovato - Long snapper - Old Dominion

Cameron Meredith - WR - Illinois State

Levi Norwood - WR - Baylor

Olsen Pierre - DE - Miami

John Timu - LB - Washington

Brian Vogler - TE - Alabama

Carden can actually play. You might want to start him instead of Cutler.

:facepalm:

http://espn.go.com/c...violence-charge

CHICAGO -- Bears defensive lineman Ray McDonald has been arrested on a domestic violence charge in California.

The Santa Clara Police Department confirmed that McDonald was arrested at 7 a.m. local time Monday in San Jose, where the incident occurred. He was arrested on a charge of domestic violence and a separate charge of child endangerment. The address at which he was arrested belongs to his former 49ers teammate Justin Smith, according to property records.

Ray McDonald has been arrested on charges of domestic violence and child endangerment. AP Photo

The Bears did not comment on the arrest when contacted by ESPN.com, but team chairman George McCaskey initially had balked at the notion of signing McDonald earlier this offseason due to past allegations of domestic assault when he played for the 49ers.

McCaskey ultimately allowed general manager Ryan Pace to sign McDonald after the veteran defensive lineman flew to Chicago to meet with Bears management. Chicago signed the 30-year-old McDonald in March to a one-year, $1.05 million contract, with no guaranteed money in the deal.

McDonald is no stranger to off-field controversies. San Francisco released McDonald in December because of what 49ers general manager Trent Baalke called a "pattern of poor behavior."

Police arrested McDonald last August for suspicion of domestic violence. The Santa Clara County district attorney's office later declined to file charges, however, following a lengthy investigation. The NFL also announced that McDonald would not be subject to league punishment for the Aug. 31 incident.

In December, the San Jose Police Department began investigating McDonald for suspicion of sexual assault. That case remains open.

McDonald bristled at questions about his character in his first public comments since joining the Bears.

"I don't think it's right. I don't think it's fair," McDonald said in late April. "You can look on TV and see all this negative stuff said about somebody, and people can put out stuff that's not very credible and they can assassinate someone's character by doing that. But when you actually get a chance to meet someone and hear their side of the story, then you get to see it for what it really is."

McCaskey acknowledged in March that he changed his mind about McDonald after their face-to-face meeting and a phone call to McDonald's parents.

"We have a 96-year tradition of doing things a certain way, of bringing a certain type of player into our team," McCaskey said at the time. "And those were my concerns going into the conversation with Ray. But I think you look at every situation individually. You try to find out as much information as you can that's reliable to make the best decision you can about whether to offer a player the privilege of becoming a Chicago Bear.

"I was impressed with how sincere he was and how motivated he is. He understands, I think, that he could have well been facing the end of his football career. And he loves football, and he wants that career to continue. So I was impressed with his motivation."

New Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio also felt comfortable enough in McDonald's character to push for the organization to sign the defensive lineman. Fangio coached McDonald in San Francisco from 2011 to 2014.

"Obviously I'd been around him for four years, so I knew what kind of guy he was on a daily basis, and nobody gets to know players and players get to know coaches more than when you're in football because we're with those guys eight, nine hours a day, and in training camp more," Fangio said at the team's rookie minicamp.

Edited by laughedatbytime