2015-2016 Chicago Bears Thread - Year of the Fox

The Analog Cub

With our stellar-looking new coaching staff, half the battle is over (it seems...). Gotta fix that defense...

Let's make the NFC North fear the Monsters of the Midway again :madra:

http://sportige.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Brian-Urlacher-LB.jpg

http://isportsweb.com/wp-content/uploads//2013/06/Matt-Forte.jpg

With our stellar-looking new coaching staff, half the battle is over (it seems...). Gotta fix that defense...

Hey those are SAINTS players in your picture looking like lemons! :facepalm: :16ton:

Hey those are SAINTS players in your picture looking like lemons! :facepalm: :16ton:

:nya nya:

• Like 1

Bears signed cornerback Al Louis-Jean to a two year extension. He didn't play that much last year, but if they're keeping him around and they're not idiots then the talent might be there. If he turns out to be good he might end up taking Tillman's soon-to-be-vacated spot. Could be just the beginning of rebuilding our defense with young talent.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4697200/bears-sign-al-louis-jean-to-extension

The Chicago Bears announced Wednesday the signing of cornerback Al Louis-Jean to a two-year extension, which takes his deal through the 2016 season.

Undrafted out of Boston College, Louis-Jean played in nine games as a rookie last season, posting 11 tackles in addition to breaking up a pass and contributing one tackle on special teams.

Louis-Jean contributed a career-high six tackles during an Oct. 26 in a loss to the New England Patriots, and he could be poised for more playing time in 2015 in some of the team’s substitution packages.

Sometimes life isn't fair. RIP, AJ. :rose:

Former Chicago Bears running back Adrian Peterson mourned the loss of his son on Tuesday.

Peterson's son A.J. lost his battle with Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG), the same type of cancerous tumor Lauren Hill has been fighting and raising awareness for. A.J. was diagnosed with the inoperable brain tumor back in June.

http://i.imgur.com/ojwZY1w.jpg

Sometimes life isn't fair. RIP, AJ. :rose:

Former Chicago Bears running back Adrian Peterson mourned the loss of his son on Tuesday.

Peterson's son A.J. lost his battle with Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG), the same type of cancerous tumor Lauren Hill has been fighting and raising awareness for. A.J. was diagnosed with the inoperable brain tumor back in June.

http://i.imgur.com/ojwZY1w.jpg

:(. :rose:

Josh McCown in talks to rejoin Da Bears:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000471014/article/josh-mccown-chicago-bears-meeting-at-combine

INDIANAPOLIS -- The courting of Josh McCown rages on.

The free-agent quarterback met with the Chicago Bears on Wednesday morning, coach John Foxtold reporters.

General manager Mike Maccagnan told reporters Wednesday that the Jets have met with McCown, as well.Their meeting at the NFL Scouting Combine serves as McCown's second sitdown with a suitor after previously huddling with the Buffalo Bills. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport noted that up to eight teams are sniffing around the journeyman who was cut by the Bucs last week.

McCown turns 36 in July, but his limited on-field wear-and-tear -- he has just 49 career starts -- make him younger than his age. The veteran arguably sits atop this offseason's ugly list of free-agent quarterbacks.

McCown enjoyed the finest season of his career with the Bears in 2013, throwing 13 touchdowns to just one interception in eight games under the departed Marc Trestman.

We listed Chicago sixth in our "Josh McCown Landing Spots" post, largely because the Bears have nothing but David Fales under contract behind Cutler. A reunion makes plenty of sense.

It's official, the Bears are a 3-4 Defense

http://www.chicagobe...2c-f4dc0c650282

Definitely going to shake things up this season. Bears have been 4-3 forever it seems.

Asking DE Jared Allen to be an OLB = The Packers asking DE Aaron Kampman to be an OLB.

It's not gonna work. At all. :no:

It's official, the Bears are a 3-4 Defense

http://www.chicagobe...2c-f4dc0c650282

Definitely going to shake things up this season. Bears have been 4-3 forever it seems.

Asking DE Jared Allen to be an OLB = The Packers asking DE Aaron Kampman to be an OLB.

It's not gonna work. At all. :no:

Well it's not a secret that they shouldn't have signed Allen in the first place anyway. #Emery/Trestman 2016! :facepalm:

Edited by BowlCity

Bears sign cornerback Demontre Hurst to a 2 year extension.

http://www.chicagobe...40-8e29d8194a50

The Bears on Wednesday signed cornerback Demontre Hurst to a two-year contract extension through the 2016 season.

Hurst appeared in 15 games with two starts at nickel back last year, recording 35 tackles and one interception. The 5-10, 183-pounder originally joined the Bears in 2013 as an undrafted free agent from Oklahoma and spent his entire rookie season on the practice squad.

After joining the Bears as an undrafted rookie in 2013, Demontre Hurst played in 15 games in 2014.

“It’s a blessing,” Hurst said after signing his new deal. “It’s a blessing to be where I started and get to be with a different set of coaches but still with the same teammates. I’m just happy to be back with the guys. They pretty much helped me throughout the season last year to keep growing with them.”

Hurst is excited about playing for new head coach John Fox and defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, a pair of veteran coaches who are known for their expertise on the defensive side of the ball.

“I’ve heard so much about them,” Hurst said. “They’re defensive-minded great coaches. It’s an honor to be with those coaches, get a new defense and try to change things around here and get back to a defensive mindset.”

As an exclusive free agent, Hurst was permitted to negotiate and sign only with the Bears.

The Bears have 18 players who are slated to become unrestricted free agents March 10: linebackersLance Briggs, Darryl Sharpton and D.J. Williams; guard/tackle Eben Britton, long-snapper Jeremy Cain, quarterback Jimmy Clausen, safeties Chris Conte and Danny McCray, center Brian de la Puente, kickerJay Feely, cornerbacks Sherrick McManis and Charles Tillman, tight ends Zach Miller and Dante Rosario, receiver Josh Morgan, fullback Montell Owens, defensive tackle Stephen Paea and defensive end Trevor Scott.

Edited by BowlCity

TE Zach Miller gets a one year extension

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears announced Friday they signed tight end Zach Miller to a one-year extension.

Miller, 30, landed on the injured reserve last August after suffering a season-ending Lisfranc injury (torn foot ligament) in the preseason, but caught the staff’s eye prior to that with a strong preseason debut against the Philadelphia Eagles (six catches, for 68 yards and two touchdowns) and promising workouts during training camp.

Miller suffered the injury in the second quarter of the team’s win in the second preseason game over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Prior to that, the Bears had been experimenting more with Miller in the lineup opposite starterMartellus Bennett in double tight-end formations.

Miller played in 29 games over his first two years in the NFL (2009-10) with the Jaguars, but since 2011, he’s participated in just four contests as injuries continue to keep him sidelined. Miller hasn’t been a part of an active roster since 2011. He spent 2012 on the injured reserve in Jacksonville, and in 2013, Miller worked with Tampa Bay in the offseason, but was waived prior to the start of the regular season.

In all, Miller has played in 33 games with five starts, contributing 45 catches for 470 yards and four touchdowns.

The Bears signed Milller originally in December of 2013.

Josh McCown in talks to rejoin Da Bears:

I heard he signed but the Bears still need a non-injury solution to their Cutler problem.

Backup QB Jimmy Clausen re-signed for a one year extension for this season.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Bears-sign-Clausen-to-one-year-deal/1bd724ef-f372-41a0-8e9d-ad509f478c8d

The Bears on Friday re-signed quarterback Jimmy Clausen to a one-year contract extension through the 2015 season.

Clausen, 27, served as Jay Cutler’s backup last year, completing 26 of 48 passes for 233 yards with two touchdowns, one interception and a 71.8 passer rating in four games.

“I’m really excited to be back here and get a jump-start on this upcoming season,” Clausen told ChicagoBears.com. “There’s a lot of energy going on in this building and I’m really excited for what’s to come.”

Clausen made his first NFL start in nearly four years last Dec. 21 against the Lions, completing 23 of 39 passes for 181 yards with two touchdowns, one interception and a 77.0 passer rating.

Unfortunately, Clausen suffered a concussion in the loss to Detroit at Soldier Field, forcing the Notre Dame product to miss the season finale a week later against the Vikings in Minnesota.

The Lions game was Clausen’s first start since his rookie season in 2010 when he opened 10 games for the Panthers after being selected by Carolina in the second round of the draft. He didn’t appear in a regular-season game the next three seasons, serving as Cam Newton’s backup in 2011-12 before missing the 2013 campaign with a shoulder injury.

Clausen’s head coach with the Panthers during his rookie season was John Fox.

“I’m excited to link back up with coach Fox,” Clausen said. “He’s very passionate. He loves the game of football and he’s a real fiery coach. Like I said, there’s a lot of energy here now. I’ve talked to a couple of [teammates] and everybody’s fired up to get back in the building in a month and get going.”

Clausen originally signed with the Bears last June 5 and appeared in three preseason games, completing 24 of 37 passes for 280 yards with two touchdowns, one interception and a 94.4 passer rating.

Clausen expected to attract some interest on the free agent market but wanted to return to the Bears.

“I really wanted to come back to Chicago,” he said. “I had a great talk with [offensive coordinator] Adam Gase, [quarterbacks] coach [Dowell] Loggains, coach Fox and [general manager] Ryan Pace. I felt really comfortable with them and what their plans are going forward, and I just told my agents I want to be here.”

I'm sure LABT is pleased :LOL:

Backup QB Jimmy Clausen re-signed for a one year extension for this season.

http://www.chicagobe...9d-ad509f478c8d

The Bears on Friday re-signed quarterback Jimmy Clausen to a one-year contract extension through the 2015 season.

Clausen, 27, served as Jay Cutler’s backup last year, completing 26 of 48 passes for 233 yards with two touchdowns, one interception and a 71.8 passer rating in four games.

“I’m really excited to be back here and get a jump-start on this upcoming season,” Clausen told ChicagoBears.com. “There’s a lot of energy going on in this building and I’m really excited for what’s to come.”

Clausen made his first NFL start in nearly four years last Dec. 21 against the Lions, completing 23 of 39 passes for 181 yards with two touchdowns, one interception and a 77.0 passer rating.

Unfortunately, Clausen suffered a concussion in the loss to Detroit at Soldier Field, forcing the Notre Dame product to miss the season finale a week later against the Vikings in Minnesota.

The Lions game was Clausen’s first start since his rookie season in 2010 when he opened 10 games for the Panthers after being selected by Carolina in the second round of the draft. He didn’t appear in a regular-season game the next three seasons, serving as Cam Newton’s backup in 2011-12 before missing the 2013 campaign with a shoulder injury.

Clausen’s head coach with the Panthers during his rookie season was John Fox.

“I’m excited to link back up with coach Fox,” Clausen said. “He’s very passionate. He loves the game of football and he’s a real fiery coach. Like I said, there’s a lot of energy here now. I’ve talked to a couple of [teammates] and everybody’s fired up to get back in the building in a month and get going.”

Clausen originally signed with the Bears last June 5 and appeared in three preseason games, completing 24 of 37 passes for 280 yards with two touchdowns, one interception and a 94.4 passer rating.

Clausen expected to attract some interest on the free agent market but wanted to return to the Bears.

“I really wanted to come back to Chicago,” he said. “I had a great talk with [offensive coordinator] Adam Gase, [quarterbacks] coach [Dowell] Loggains, coach Fox and [general manager] Ryan Pace. I felt really comfortable with them and what their plans are going forward, and I just told my agents I want to be here.”

I'm sure LABT is pleased :LOL:

Clausen is to Cutler as Biden is to Obama.

• Like 2

Bears among the teams going after NT Terrance Knighton.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4697533/bears-have-serious-interest-in-terrance-knighton

The Chicago Bears' search for a nose tackle to anchor defensive coordinator Vic Fangio’s 3-4 defensive front is expected to result in the team making a strong push to sign 6-foot-3, 335-pound free-agent defensive tackle Terrance Knighton when the NFL league year begins at 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

ESPN’s Josina Anderson reports the Bears, Oakland Raiders, Washington Redskins and Indianapolis Colts are among the clubs showing “serious interest” in Knighton.

“I want the process to happen pretty quickly,” Knighton told Anderson. “Once the market opens, I’m going to decide which one I have the strongest interest in and move strategically with potential visits and not waste my time.”

Nicknamed “Pot Roast” due to his massive frame, Knighton spent the last two seasons playing for new Bears head coach John Fox in Denver, where he started all 32 regular-season games. Knighton finished 2014 with 30 tackles and two sacks, but he’s regarded as one of the better run-stopping defensive tackles in the league.

Before Knighton arrived in Denver, he played four seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2009-12.

Fox said at last month’s NFL combine that veteranJeremiah Ratliff is an option to help fill the void at nose tackle, but Ratliff is nearing the end of his career. Former second-round pick Ego Ferguson is another candidate to potentially line up over the center, but Knighton is a proven commodity who may command in excess of $7 million per year.

It’s equally important for the Bears to fill the locker room with high-character individuals who possess a certain level of familiarity with the new coaching staff, especially with Fox. A veteran player such as Knighton knows exactly how Fox handles his business and what the head coach expects from the players. Knighton could theoretically pass that information along to the rest of the locker room, helping to create a much better working environment in Lake Forest.

The Bears have also been linked to University of Washington nose tackle Danny Shelton at No. 7 overall in multiple mock drafts.

"Pot Roast"!? :laughing guy:

http://espn.go.com/b...rrance-knighton

The Chicago Bears' search for a nose tackle to anchor defensive coordinator Vic Fangio’s 3-4 defensive front is expected to result in the team making a strong push to sign 6-foot-3, 335-pound free-agent defensive tackle Terrance Knighton when the NFL league year begins at 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

ESPN’s Josina Anderson reports the Bears, Oakland Raiders, Washington Redskins and Indianapolis Colts are among the clubs showing “serious interest” in Knighton.

“I want the process to happen pretty quickly,” Knighton told Anderson. “Once the market opens, I’m going to decide which one I have the strongest interest in and move strategically with potential visits and not waste my time.”

Nicknamed “Pot Roast” due to his massive frame, Knighton spent the last two seasons playing for new Bears head coach John Fox in Denver, where he started all 32 regular-season games. Knighton finished 2014 with 30 tackles and two sacks, but he’s regarded as one of the better run-stopping defensive tackles in the league.

Before Knighton arrived in Denver, he played four seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2009-12.

Fox said at last month’s NFL combine that veteranJeremiah Ratliff is an option to help fill the void at nose tackle, but Ratliff is nearing the end of his career. Former second-round pick Ego Ferguson is another candidate to potentially line up over the center, but Knighton is a proven commodity who may command in excess of $7 million per year.

It’s equally important for the Bears to fill the locker room with high-character individuals who possess a certain level of familiarity with the new coaching staff, especially with Fox. A veteran player such as Knighton knows exactly how Fox handles his business and what the head coach expects from the players. Knighton could theoretically pass that information along to the rest of the locker room, helping to create a much better working environment in Lake Forest.

The Bears have also been linked to University of Washington nose tackle Danny Shelton at No. 7 overall in multiple mock drafts.

This would be a good signing considering the good fortune the Bears have had with former Broncos. :)

This would be a good signing considering the good fortune the Bears have had with former Broncos. :)

Oh you're funny!

• Like 1

Oh you're funny!

Maybe I should spend more time listening to Power Windows so I could make milquetoast comments like, "wonder how that one's going to work out?"

Oh you're funny!

Maybe I should spend more time listening to Power Windows so I could make milquetoast comments like, "wonder how that one's going to work out?"

:rage: