I'm starting to loose interest in the band..?

Zabriskie

Switch to Country for a while ! :D

Actually...I did a short stint with a country band when a drummer friend wasn't able to play due to some medical issues (right knee...couldn't play his bass drum) and there's actually some decent stuff out there that slips closer to the "jam band" genre. Zac Brown is one of the guys that they turned me on to, and his stuff is decent! (AND he puts on a good live show, guys in his band are serious players, too!)

I really like the band Rush. I grew up in their Hometown of Willowdale, I lived just a few blocks away from Alex Lifeson's childhood home, and I'm even going to their highschool. I started listening to them when I turned 13, I had rode my bike back and forth from Toronto city with the two albums Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves between my arms and when I first listened to them, it was amazing. I grew up in a dysfunctional family and I'd escape mainly by listening to them. Hell, I even found a passion of writing from being inspired by their song 2112. I could listen to their songs forever and it would never bother me.

Three years after, I've found it where I mindlessly just go strait to youtube, go to my favourites, and just pick a song without even thinking about what I'm listening to. I came really dependant on their music for lots of reasons. I went through a lot of emotional turmoil with my family as a young kid, I'm still going through this today and I've always found hope in their lyrics. Like I've said before, I've found a passion in writing due to Rush, I feel like I owe them everything for helping me find something that I was actually worth. Finally, they bring back so many memories of when I was younger. When I listened to them back then it was easy to get swept away but now I've just grown used to it. Strange enough, I used to be obsessed with Pink Floyd. I listened to them so many times it had gotten stale. I found Rush a few months after losing interest in them and I was hooked. I'm trying to take a short break from rush so I can experience that new feeling again, but I feel so empty. I'm starting my first day tomorrow, and while I sit here in utter silence, I feel... well, weird. It feels like I'm just letting all those memories flow behind me, and it feels sorta painful.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else felt this before, and if so is there any possible way to get that same new feeling from their music?

Yawn.

Who the f**k cares? Attention whores make me want to...err...loose it.

How can you be a Rush fan and not recognise that aren't two "o"s in Losing It?

• Like 1

I am starting since Roll the Bones to loose interest in some of their material (songs) they do, who don't have that magic vibe that their old songs had in the 70's and 80's. But I still love the band because the magic is still there in some songs like "Clockwork Angels" and "The Garden" and their lie shows are excellent.
  • Like 1

I am starting since Roll the Bones to loose interest in some of their material (songs) they do, who don't have that magic vibe that their old songs had in the 70's and 80's. But I still love the band because the magic is still there in some songs like "Clockwork Angels" and "The Garden" and their lie shows are excellent.

Are you trying to be a pill? :LMAO: Bad idea.

Classic case of burnout. Maybe you've moved on to something else? If you have used their music to mend whatever hurt you, I guess it's only natural that it loses (forgive me Mara if I get this one wrong ;) ) it's meaning as you grow and heal?

But never feel obligated to listen to any band because they were/are your favorite band.

You got it right. ;)

It's certainly not something to feel guilty about. I've taken literal years-long breaks from listening to Rush and other favorite bands. When I finally "return to the fold", it all seems fresh and new again, which is a nifty feeling.

No he didn't. It's "its," not "it's."

It's = it is

Its = belonging or pertaining to it

Sorry, had to play along. :)

I cut him some slack because English is not his first language. TAG lives in Denmark. Still, he did just get a free English lesson!

Darn it! I was so concentrated on getting lose/loose right that I let another grammatical error slip through. Speaking and writing proper english is important to me :)

• Like 1

I really like the band Rush. I grew up in their Hometown of Willowdale, I lived just a few blocks away from Alex Lifeson's childhood home, and I'm even going to their highschool. I started listening to them when I turned 13, I had rode my bike back and forth from Toronto city with the two albums Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves between my arms and when I first listened to them, it was amazing. I grew up in a dysfunctional family and I'd escape mainly by listening to them. Hell, I even found a passion of writing from being inspired by their song 2112. I could listen to their songs forever and it would never bother me.

Three years after, I've found it where I mindlessly just go strait to youtube, go to my favourites, and just pick a song without even thinking about what I'm listening to. I came really dependant on their music for lots of reasons. I went through a lot of emotional turmoil with my family as a young kid, I'm still going through this today and I've always found hope in their lyrics. Like I've said before, I've found a passion in writing due to Rush, I feel like I owe them everything for helping me find something that I was actually worth. Finally, they bring back so many memories of when I was younger. When I listened to them back then it was easy to get swept away but now I've just grown used to it. Strange enough, I used to be obsessed with Pink Floyd. I listened to them so many times it had gotten stale. I found Rush a few months after losing interest in them and I was hooked. I'm trying to take a short break from rush so I can experience that new feeling again, but I feel so empty. I'm starting my first day tomorrow, and while I sit here in utter silence, I feel... well, weird. It feels like I'm just letting all those memories flow behind me, and it feels sorta painful.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else felt this before, and if so is there any possible way to get that same new feeling from their music?

Pick up Fear of a Blank Planet (as well as the EP Nil Recurring), Deadwing and In-Absentia and call me in the morning. Porcupine Tree can bridge you to Rush when your ready for their brand of music again.

Porcupine Tree is the cure for your Rush burnout.

Trust me.....I am a doctor.

I'll sometimes go days without listening to any music, Rush or otherwise. I think in general it's good to step back from things from time to time no matter how much you're into them....even "loose" women...ha!
  • Like 1

Wow.

I honestly didn't expect to get many replies on this, I appreciate the help!

I'll take the advice of trying to cast out a bit, I plan on taking maybe a 5 month break, that's probably give me enough time to go through some of my other bands.

Taking a break works, but I've heard every Rush album so many times that the original excitement and goosebumps I used to get when I first discovered Rush will never totally return.(what a magic time) A long break from certain records certainly does make them sound fresher though.

Taking a break works, but I've heard every Rush album so many times that the original excitement and goosebumps I used to get when I first discovered Rush will never totally return.(what a magic time) A long break from certain records certainly does make them sound fresher though.

I remember listening to Grace Under Pressure after a long time away from it (except for Afterimage, which was on a mixed CD in the car), and when I put it on again, it totally took me back. Another suggestion for keeping your interest in the band that works for me is to make a compilation of some of the deep cuts. Give yourself a chance to get more deeply acquainted with songs like Lessons, Chemistry, Madrigal and other tunes that are never or rarely played live, are not considered the key Rush tunes (are unlikely to be found on a compilation album) and may also suffer from less "listening focus" (after you've worn yourself out listening to 2112 for the millionth time, sometimes the side B tracks just kind of play out without much notice). They're sort of the forgotten Rush tracks. I have an old cassette tape with these tunes, and having them all together kind of changed my perspective a bit. Yet another thing I've done is to use some audio editing software to isolate songs from the longer epics - it's kind of cool to hear something like Armaggeddon or Bacchus Plateau as stand-alone tracks, out of context.

I remember listening to Grace Under Pressure after a long time away from it (except for Afterimage, which was on a mixed CD in the car), and when I put it on again, it totally took me back. Another suggestion for keeping your interest in the band that works for me is to make a compilation of some of the deep cuts. Give yourself a chance to get more deeply acquainted with songs like Lessons, Chemistry, Madrigal and other tunes that are never or rarely played live, are not considered the key Rush tunes (are unlikely to be found on a compilation album) and may also suffer from less "listening focus" (after you've worn yourself out listening to 2112 for the millionth time, sometimes the side B tracks just kind of play out without much notice). They're sort of the forgotten Rush tracks. I have an old cassette tape with these tunes, and having them all together kind of changed my perspective a bit. Yet another thing I've done is to use some audio editing software to isolate songs from the longer epics - it's kind of cool to hear something like Armaggeddon or Bacchus Plateau as stand-alone tracks, out of context.

While we're being grammar stiffs, I would like to point out that you spelled "Armageddon" incorrectly. :P That would be cool, though. I hate Hemispheres and TFoL almost equally, but maybe standalone parts could change my perspective…

Edited by Disk98

of course is only human nature to become a tad over-familiar and even bored with anything over time and repetition, however much you were into it.

a simple extended break will work and you'll come back refreshed, although never like you were on first encounter.

right now i cant listen to any other rush than vapor trails, which i keep for headphone play when out walking etc.

indoors when i'm not working or watching TV i'm mainly listening to the vast body of work of the great Genesis, which funnily enough being a total rush head, i never get bored with.

needed a new rush album to be honest was really hoping the guys would decide on getting to work on one rather than a trip down memory lane playing old sh*t for the tour fans. I mean good luck to them, good luck to the guys themselves the tour is something they wanna do for whatever reason and what makes them happy makes me happy, and good luck to the die hard fans who just thrilled to see the greatest rock band in history live one more time but...

.... i'm gagging for new rush material here and i cant deny my personal disappointment.

even if the band chucks out a couple new tracks before the tour, for which there isnt even a rumour yet, i'll still be cheesed off new album not in pipeline for a good while, if ever, now.

Artists need to produce new stuff, all i saying. not every day, or every week or even every month and god knows not even every year but... we were due a new rush album in my view :)

Edited by lifeson90

Well, if they're going to make another new record, based on the pace at which they've been working in the studio, then sometime this year (or early next) might be a reasonable time frame for them to do so. There were five years between Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows, and another five until Clockwork Angels. This summer will be three more years since then.

Don't totally lose heart unless they announce that they're done altogether.

• Like 1

Well, if they're going to make another new record, based on the pace at which they've been working in the studio, then sometime this year (or early next) might be a reasonable time frame for them to do so. There were five years between Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows, and another five until Clockwork Angels. This summer will be three more years since then.

Don't totally lose heart unless they announce that they're done altogether.

yeah you're probably right, just seems a long time since caravan/bu2b were released middle of june 2010 i'm mentally going off suppose. for months those two tracks were a real buzz for me and the subsequent album release didnt really add anything of more impact, although the title track and the garden were exceptional in my view.

psychologically though, seems a long time since mid 2010 and to be told a tour has more priority thats ok have fun everybody god knows i'd love to see em here in uk too but for me new rush albums been a life HIGHLIGHT since i starting queuing outside record stores for em in late 70s when new rush was out every year nearly.

5 years a long wait man, and it looks like 6 or 7 now, if ever. :(

Edited by lifeson90

Speaking of bands to check out if a band is getting "stale" to you... In my response I said to check out Umphrey's McGee because they are like a prog jam band that tosses in covers... I had Jam-On playing on XM last night waiting for my wife to drag her butt out of work, and they played a song of theirs called Bridgeless, that went into Tom Sawyer...check it out:

https://archive.org/details/um2014-06-08.akg391b.flac16

You can either download it, listen to it, or whatever...different formats, all that... but if anything check out their version... not a bad read.

I remember listening to Grace Under Pressure after a long time away from it (except for Afterimage, which was on a mixed CD in the car), and when I put it on again, it totally took me back. Another suggestion for keeping your interest in the band that works for me is to make a compilation of some of the deep cuts. Give yourself a chance to get more deeply acquainted with songs like Lessons, Chemistry, Madrigal, The Speed of Love and other tunes that are never or rarely played live, are not considered the key Rush tunes (are unlikely to be found on a compilation album) and may also suffer from less "listening focus" (after you've worn yourself out listening to 2112 for the millionth time, sometimes the side B tracks just kind of play out without much notice). They're sort of the forgotten Rush tracks. I have an old cassette tape with these tunes, and having them all together kind of changed my perspective a bit. Yet another thing I've done is to use some audio editing software to isolate songs from the longer epics - it's kind of cool to hear something like Armaggeddon or Bacchus Plateau as stand-alone tracks, out of context.

I edited your post for accuracy. ;)

I remember listening to Grace Under Pressure after a long time away from it (except for Afterimage, which was on a mixed CD in the car), and when I put it on again, it totally took me back. Another suggestion for keeping your interest in the band that works for me is to make a compilation of some of the deep cuts. Give yourself a chance to get more deeply acquainted with songs like Lessons, Chemistry, Madrigal, The Speed of Love and other tunes that are never or rarely played live, are not considered the key Rush tunes (are unlikely to be found on a compilation album) and may also suffer from less "listening focus" (after you've worn yourself out listening to 2112 for the millionth time, sometimes the side B tracks just kind of play out without much notice). They're sort of the forgotten Rush tracks. I have an old cassette tape with these tunes, and having them all together kind of changed my perspective a bit. Yet another thing I've done is to use some audio editing software to isolate songs from the longer epics - it's kind of cool to hear something like Armaggeddon or Bacchus Plateau as stand-alone tracks, out of context.

Thanks, Lorainne. Mustn't forget Speed of Love. . . . although my "deep cuts compilation" cassette tape pre-dates that album. Also, I never ended up being included on the "those who like Speed of Love" list, because I was too busy being a snotty smartass about it. :|

When I first saw your message, I thought you were just correcting my spelling of "Arrmmaggeddonn."

Does my misspelling of a Rush song title knock a point off my fan score?

Thanks, Lorainne. Mustn't forget Speed of Love. . . . although my "deep cuts compilation" cassette tape pre-dates that album. Also, I never ended up being included on the "those who like Speed of Love" list, because I was too busy being a snotty smartass about it. :|

When I first saw your message, I thought you were just correcting my spelling of "Arrmmaggeddonn."

Does my misspelling of a Rush song title knock a point off my fan score?

Don't ask me. :huh: Who am I to knock any points off of a fan score? :unsure: I'm at the bottom of the Rush fan barrel. :)

• Like 1