stick it out: buy tix the week/day of the show if you are getting the TM shaft

daveyt

It's not easy to do, but I wait until the last minute when all the brokered seats return for resale on TM. obviously i wouldn't recommend everyone to do this but if a few of you feel like you are getting the shaft, just play/win at their own game. it takes some nerves of steel but you will get amazing seats 99.9% of the time. You usually have to be on TM for up to 3 hours on the day of the show checking in and rolling the dice.

front row on the floor to the first few rows on the side in the best sections: they always pop up. plus other floor seats close up. i have done this on the past few tours and haven't been burned. for any artist. for me it's a no-brainer. anyone else do this?

good luck

dt

• Like 6

Yes! I did this for the Clockwork Angels tour, which was my first Rush show since 1994. I bought them the day before the show and got seats about 20 rows back. I was happy with that.

I've advised other people to do this same thing (I just didn't start a thread about it, specifically).

:cheers:

• Like 2

It's not easy to do, but I wait until the last minute when all the brokered seats return for resale on TM. obviously i wouldn't recommend everyone to do this but if a few of you feel like you are getting the shaft, just play/win at their own game. it takes some nerves of steel but you will get amazing seats 99.9% of the time. You usually have to be on TM for up to 3 hours on the day of the show checking in and rolling the dice.

front row on the floor to the first few rows on the side in the best sections: they always pop up. plus other floor seats close up. i have done this on the past few tours and haven't been burned. for any artist. for me it's a no-brainer. anyone else do this?

good luck

dt

If I was in the market for tickets, that's exactly how I would do it.

Or go to the venue the day of the show in hopes that someone will be trying to unload tickets bought that can't be used.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

On the CA tour, the guy sitting in from of me in Row 8 did exactly that. He bought a single ticket at the box office an hour before the show.

Just out of curiosity, I've checked Ticketmaster (on past tours) the day of the show and found many good seats on teh floor available.

I've heard they release extra tickets that are not being used for VIP's, friends & family etc.

I'm just not willing to take that risk :D

• Like 1

good luck

dt

Hey dude,

Hope your doing well. I like the idea but I have to fly to what ever concert I want to attend. With that said, my plan is to buy a cheap ticket when they go on sale to the general public. Even if I cannot attend I can sell it cheap at a lose. If I am able to attend I will look for a better seat.

BTW,

How are the fish tacos these days? :D

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

Not to sound like I'm complaining, but I'd like to score better tickets. Not sure how cheap they go the week/day before a show though. We talking back down to face value cheap or dirt cheap?

It's a fairly solid method, doing day of show box office online or in person, it does work most of the time. But it is NOT a guarantee. You can usually get in the door, yes. Good seats though, that's a crap shoot. It's fine if you live locally. It's more of a risk if you have to drive 4+ hours round trip to the venue.

But it's not foolproof, waiting til day of show. Believe me. Some folks DO get turned away for doing exactly that. It all depends on venue policy/capacity and demand.

Yeah, I did it for Charlotte on the CA tour, but Charlotte is a small market and it was a weekday. I got side stage tix which had just been released. There is no way I'd try that on this tour, for an ampitheatre, or a larger market. Why:

I don't think Rush is lying when they say it's their last big tour.

What kind of prices do you end up paying when you do this, not for the front row, but for the side, for instance? Might want to give this a try.

When I did it for the Clockwork Angels show, I just got on Ticketmaster's website the day before the show, where I had been looking at seat maps a couple of different times, and found that some good ones had opened up. I was looking for two together (and the more seats you're looking for, together, the more difficult it will be, but anyway)...I did not spend anything like three hours trying, that day. I think it took me two attempts- a total of about ten minutes. And I got two tickets, about 20 rows back, like I said- for face value. I mean, Ticketmaster themselves would not be selling these on their own website for anything more than face value.

So anyway...they were $108 each, with all of the stupid fees included.

And then I sold the two lawn tickets I had when I got to the venue the next day, for $60 (for the pair, not each. But it still helped offset the total cost by a pretty good amount of money).

I'm only going for one ticket per show for Columbus and possibly Detroit this time around- there are a few other shows I'm trying to figure out as well, but I'm not sure...but getting one ticket should be much easier than getting more than one.

I do this all the time for "take it or leave it" shows - I want to go, but wont be too upset if I cant. Every single time, I got good seats (not first rows of floor, but very very good first level seats and floor seats within first 10-15 rows). Pop on, look for a single seat, and go. Both TM has these loose seats, and some of the StubHub folks who arent pros and are panicking will be selling for far less inflated prices. Start a week out and keep checking.

I do this for EVERY concert for about the last 3 years now. Start looking 3 days before the show, and pull the trigger if I'm worried about a sell-out.....but with these ticket prices nowadays NOTHING is really sold out, even when they claim it is. Did it 2X for CA tour: got 2nd row right in front of Geddy for Jones Beach the day before the show for $300 on stub hub, and scored a pair of 1st row off the floor on TM for the other show day before the show.