That's it, I'm done. Screw this, screw RUSH, screw the brokers

briremo

Pre-sales are misleading. I got the seats I wanted for St. Louis today about 35 min into the pre-sale. I turned down better tix and worse tix.

You could click search 12 times in a row with no results and then start getting tix for 4 to 6 clicks in a row as people released them. I was using my pc and my iphone at the same time. I have found that 30 to 45 min into it I start finding better options.

I totally agree it's f**ked up. Here's what I've done for the last three tours.

I wait until about 2-3 weeks before the show then I start checking eBay and craigslist for people looking to dump tickets. There's always someone who for whatever reason can't go. I've gotten tics under face value for Snakes & Arrows tour, Time Machine tour and Clockwork Angels tour. Now of course you can't be too picky on what you get. The best seats were S&A, about 20 rows straight back from Geddy in an outside amphitheater. TM seats were front row balcony side of stage and CA was front row balcony center stage at an inside arena. Not too bad I would say.

A tip if buying on craigslist. Meet face to face to get the tickets. Don't wire or Paypal money to anyone! Too easy to get ripped off.

If buying on eBay it's best to pay with Paypal because then you have buyer protection if someone tries to rip you off. You've got to be patient. Set your price you're willing to pay and stick to it. Don't let any bidding frenzy suck you in.

Of course there is some risk involved in going this route, but it has worked great for me the last three tours and I'll be going this way again. If I don't get a ticket, you know what? Life will go on.

Plus with the money I saved means more cash for beer!

I agree. Scalpers are scum. They are out in full force this tour, because the boys are getting older - I really think it's their last tour. Alex hinted at that when he was interviewed, by implying that Geddy is the only one anxious to get back on tour. Alex and Neil are ready to retire, I think. Therefore, I was willing to pay $500 each for a pair of tickets 8th row in Vancouver (VIP gold package). I had to keep trying - the site kept locking up, but I got the tickets eventually. I feel sick about the price though.

I agree. The internet with Stubhub and brokers have turned our rock heros into filthy prostitutes, it can be very upsetting but the best thing to do is to not pay those insane prices you see.

I'm sure glad I was able to see so many big bands in the 2000's before the world of ticket brokering exploded. I have paid face value to see rush from 6th row floor, 1st row floor, and 2nd floor of closest lower bowl section (twice).

Hopefully next friday when general sale goes on sale for Calgary my luck continues.

Everyone should try not to freak out. As the shows get closer, prices on the broker outlets will drop dramatically. Especially once all the setlist whining begins......it's just a part of the cycle of life.
  • Like 3

This time I almost didn't go, but my buddies put the heat on and we got tix for NJ. 88 bucks or so, sitting directly in front of the stage in the back of the arena. visually and acoustically perfect seats. I had my up close thrill on the SNA tour with 3rd row and that's just fine with me.... Probably their last go 'round and at least I'll get to go. The presales generally suck but my buddies aren't as patient as I was willing to be and wait until the date got closer....

Stubhub doesn't sell or buy tickets. Stubhub offers a place for people to sell tickets. You can not buy a ticket from stubhub.

I can't entirely agree with that. No, Stubhub themselves are not buying tickets or selling the tickets, but they are the marketplace where tickets are bought and sold, taking a cut every step of the way. They are the dominant after market for tickets. A buyer has no contact with the seller. Have you ever heard someone describe a SH ticket purchase in any way other than "I got these tickets off of Stubhub"

Stubhub doesn't sell or buy tickets. Stubhub offers a place for people to sell tickets. You can not buy a ticket from stubhub.

I can't entirely agree with that. No, Stubhub themselves are not buying tickets or selling the tickets, but they are the marketplace where tickets are bought and sold, taking a cut every step of the way. They are the dominant after market for tickets. A buyer has no contact with the seller. Have you ever heard someone describe a SH ticket purchase in any way other than "I got these tickets off of Stubhub"

Its semantics at that point. Both the seller and SH are involved, but the markup everyone is groaning about is not SHs problem, its the sellers (given SHs fees). For we old folks, what this system does is allow ACCESS to seats one couldnt even get in the old days. Now, if you choose, money can buy your way to a great seat. Problem is, the price of shows has skyrocketed (both the actual show price and the fees), AND the free market for popular shows drives them higher. People like SH too because if yu get screwed thy will at least guarantee to get you in the building and give you comparable seats (many stories of seats not being comparable, but you wont be standing on curb). That makes them more popular than ebay or Cragslist etc.

Edited by lerxt1990

I didn`t seem to have any problems getting a pair for NJ show. Lower bowl in the corner, aisle seats, about halfway up the section. I`m pleased with my purchase. The wife is happy too. First time for her seeing Rush.

Money can still buy you the best seats in the house. It's just a matter of inflation and demand.

Yes, I know. For ten thousand dollars, I can sit in the second row in Newark.

LOL. It's crazy pricing, for sure. Basically, since the SnA and CA tours, you can find front row at virtually any show and any venue for anywhere between 500-5000 per ticket. High demand markets like NYC, LA, and Vegas, are going to skew high. Lower demand markets, skew a bit less. And it's pretty clear that Americans are far more willing to spend the rent money on upfront tix or VIP upgrades than Europeans or Canadians. That's cause we're an indulgent country, LOL.

Edited by Van Squalen

It's capitalism. Supply and demand. If there aren't people wiling to pay $1k, then the price drops. If some pay it, the price goes up. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Is the system rigged to a degree? You bet but as long as there are people willing to play by those rules, it will continue to operate in the same manner. Edited by dtpoet
  • Like 1

The thing that bugs me is that I am convinced that GOLD VIP packages for Toronto, were never for sale to us low life fans. I was in on 2 computers from second 1. Nothing left. Yet I was getting silver packages and even when I turned it down, the same 2 seats would come up again. So if gold was sold out, why wouldn't silver go just as quick? I think TM gauges interest and if they can pre-sell the golds to brokers for a lot more, why wouldn't they? My beef is that we are being deceived. If they want to scalp just like the guy on the street corner than just admit it to us. Don't take us for fools!
  • Like 2

I've yet to get any confirmation from VIPNation but I think they simply didn't have all of the VIP packages available during the presale. I was told on twitter they would be "adding more inventory"...so I think once it gets closer to public onsale for VIP they'll have more of the Gold packages available...I'm holding out for New Orleans...Similar situation, zero gold packages available right off the bat and the same 8 seats in the silver packages kept popping up. They should have never let ticketmaster in on the VIP packages this tour.
  • Like 1

I've yet to get any confirmation from VIPNation but I think they simply didn't have all of the VIP packages available during the presale. I was told on twitter they would be "adding more inventory"...so I think once it gets closer to public onsale for VIP they'll have more of the Gold packages available...I'm holding out for New Orleans...Similar situation, zero gold packages available right off the bat and the same 8 seats in the silver packages kept popping up. They should have never let ticketmaster in on the VIP packages this tour.

I was a little surprised at that too. I never got any email confirmation when I bought mine either.

I was a little surprised at that too. I never got any email confirmation when I bought mine either.

I am curious about the Newark show.

If you go to StubHub, there are tickets available for all floor, lower, and upper sections - except one - section 110. I find it very strange that there like 1600+/- tickets available within EVERY section but this one. Why? What's so damn special about section 110?

Get used to it , it's not going away! Years back they could control it to an extent because people wandered around at the venue with tickets trying to get extra cash for them...once things like E-Bay came online, people went crazy with it...they put some kind of halt to it, but people found a way to get around it by offering a Rush "Patch" for $1,000.00, and if you buy this patch, you get two front row tickets to the ______ show!!

How can you regulate it? you can't! There's a guy that sells Penn State sports tickets that claims that he doesn't keep the added money, he DONATES it to the school! Yeah, as most college tickets work, you have to make a large donation in order to keep your status as a season ticket holder...that's what this guy uses in order to but HIS season tickets (and tickets to all of the away games) and then he SELLS what he doesn't use...and has other people send him the tickets THEY don't use...you make a little money on it, but not really enough...Granted...the guy was convenient when I wanted to sell the bowl tickets I got this year, and then found I wasn't able to go due to a family illness, but he's a shyster when you really look at it!

The whole system just sucks...everyone and their mom wants to make money by not doing anything, and some people have found a way to get away with it... (and thank them for why tickets are so expensive)