Better Call Saul

workingcinderellaman

I love this show. Rather, I love the television that the Villigang puts together. Visually it's so cinematic...the colors, the camera angles...its just fun to watch for its own sake.

This crew of writers really know how to organically develop a story and let the characters make decisions that are true to that character as opposed to having an idea and forcing the characters to fit into the story. And they know how to let something build and build, even at a snails pace sometimes, so the emotional payoff is more than worth the wait. By next season this will be the best show on tv.

Who wrote the note? I'm with Presto in thinking its Gus (not directly from him but his henchmen). Did anyone else think that Mike was gonna shoot Hector and that's how he ends up in the wheelchair...I know I did for a brief moment. And once the crickets stopped chirping I knew something was up. That's how you create dramatic moments.

Jimmy can refute the recording and since he didn't sign anything Chuck probably can't really do anything to Jimmy but that's pretty much destroyed Jimmy & Kim's relationship. It's hard to see how season 3 doesn't end with the emergence of Saul Goodman and his sliding into the underworld with Mike and Gus (if it is Gus).

As for Chuck: can you imagine always being the good kid, always doing the right thing, trying to please your parents, having an excellent career...and your mother's last word is your brother's name?? Slippin' Jimmy is who she wanted to see before she died. That must really eat at him to the core, must hurt like hell. Real primal family relationship stuff with those two brothers.

I see last week as the climax to the season and the finale was a sort of epilogue/set up for next season. Cannot wait!

Edited by theredtamasrule
  • Like 1

Did anyone else think that Mike was gonna shoot Hector and that's how he ends up in the wheelchair.

I may be wrong, but I think when Hank and Steve are interviewing Hector in Breaking Bad, Hank mentions a stroke that Hector had.

And knowing how Gus wanted to be the one to torment/ kill Hector, I also believe the note was from him.

Season 3 will be Mike's Introduction into Gus's world, probably without showing Gus very often IMO. He apparently has a ton of acting conflicts in the next year to be a regular.

Season 3 will be Jimmy and Kim VS. HHM. For Jimmy to become Saul, he can't be disbarred. I am wondering if this will go back to his statement to Chuck, "Jimmy McGill will quit law"....

If you watched Talking Saul after (or hadn't heard otherwise) apparently the first letters of all Season 2's show titles are an anagram spelling 'FRING'S BACK'. :) As soon as they showed the note then I realized it was from Gus since Fring has a vested interest in tormenting Hector in the future.

And yes, I really thought he was going to shoot Hector and that's how he ended up in a chair, although if the stroke thing is true then I'd forgotten that much...but that would make sense for his partial face paralysis too. I really did NOT expect that we would be introduced to Fring (either directly or indirectly) in that very scene. You're so focused on the task at hand. Totally took me by surprise.

Edited by Presto-digitation

Hector was rendered invalid possibly from a stroke or some form of motor neuron disease; such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)/Lou Gehrig's disease. The reason why it is suspected that he suffered from a form of motor neuron disease is because in the flashback episodes featuring Hector Salamanca, it appears that he is beginning to show signs of muscular degeneration.

(from Breaking Bad wiki...)

Good call..! Good memory too. :D

Edited by Presto-digitation

The history they're painting between Jimmy and Chuck is stunning. The opening scene at their mother's bedside was gut wrenching. Chuck's bitterness and ruthlessness is totally understandable given their history, but at the same time, his blindness to the good he could be fostering is unforgivable.

It's crazy to see how Jimmy- the faithful liar, uses dishonesty and scheming to the advantage of those he loves, and remains good and loyal even after all Chuck has done to hold him back; while Chuck- the treacherous truth-teller, uses the power of honesty and conviction to betray and destroy the one person left in the world who truly loves him.

Isn't it funny that the motivations of these characters are often so very simple. Chuck's is jealousy. In fact his whole condition may ultimately be a pyschosomatic manifestation of his feelings towards Jimmy (although it's possible he has an actual condition)...but at the very least his feelings towards Jimmy are fueled by envy, bitterness, and jealousy. Walt wasn't that different. He was motivated by pride. He had to sell his interest in what would become a billion dollar bonanza because he needed the money to cover the medical bills of his invalid son, ultimately becoming instead a high school chemistry teacher who worked a second job in a car wash to make ends meet. He was also envious, bitter, and jealous.

The Walt / Chuck comparison is very apt. They're very similar characters: highly intelligent, extremely prideful, jealous and forever holding a grudge whether it be real or imagined. The main difference being Chuck's undying fidelity to The Law. I can totally accept Chuck's issues being a manifestation of his feelings toward Jimmy...AND let's not forget Checkov's Wife; Chuck's issues HAVE to involve her and I hope we get more insight into their relationship and how Jimmy played a part of whatever happened.

Faithful-liar and Treacherous-truth teller. Here's what Gilligan and gang does: they get us to root for the bad guy. Jimmy is a con man, a liar...not a murderer but not what I would call a good guy. Likeable to be sure but most of his life he's been stealing money via his con games. He's a sleaze ball but he's so darn cute and funny and doggone it he sure does work hard. We're all on Jimmy's side. I know I am.

Chuck is super clean cut, honest to a fault and hasn't ever so much as bent the rules let alone broken any and slightly crazier than f**k. Yet we see him as the asshole. Because he is even though he's not done anything wrong per se other than to try and keep his sleazy brother (who he knows very well) from sullying the profession Chuck holds in such high regard. But...he's an asshole and we don't like him.

chuck is not really all that honest. he might not lie outright but he's devious as f**k. he lies by omission and in his own way is just as much of a con man as jimmy. chuck is not actually a 'good' guy. he might be upstanding and respectable but he'll stab you in the back in a hot minute if it suits him. and jimmy is dishonest but is not evil, he is loyal almost to a fault to his own people. you can't put these characters into a simple scheme of 'good' and 'bad.' the moral complexity makes this show so fascinating.
  • Like 2

I really liked the first two episodes and I like the way they're incorporating characters from BB into it.

When I saw Tuco I knew those two skaters were toast. I loved it when Jimmy McGill became their lawyer and got their death sentence reduced. Great writing.

:)

So far I'm not disappointed at all.

That was a great plotline. Edited by goose

Bob Odenkirk did not help himself by appealing to Electoral College voters to vote against Trump.

He needs to get over it, and just be great as Slippin' Jimmy McGill.

Who cares?

Exactly.

It has nothing to do with him as a performer which is why we like him and this show. Couldn't care less what his political views are.

Bob Odenkirk did not help himself by appealing to Electoral College voters to vote against Trump.

He needs to get over it, and just be great as Slippin' Jimmy McGill.

Who cares?

Exactly.

It has nothing to do with him as a performer which is why we like him and this show. Couldn't care less what his political views are.

He's just upset they could only get the Rockettes to perform Jan 20th....actually their wealthy boss is forcing them, and the poor girls are crying about it.

Just starting to watch Season 2!

Great so far!

It doesn't let up. This really is one of the most well written and acted shows on television right now.

I had to force myself to stop after two episodes. I could have easily stayed up all night watching the new episodes.

I absolutely love how understated everything is in this show (so far)

• Like 2

I've been rewatching season 1 and 2 in anticipation for the new season, and I caught one really nice shot at the beginning of a season 1 episode.

It's a flashback scene where Chuck is meeting Jimmy in jail (after his Chicago Sunroof incident); Chuck stops at the security checkpoint as he enters, and empties his pockets- cell phone, keys, etc- into a lock box. This is shot with the exact same 'inside out' camera angle that they use whenever Jimmy visits Chuck in the 'present', tossing his cell phone and car keys into Chuck's mailbox before entering the EM-Safe-Zone.

Nice little role reversal. I love this show's attention to detail.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2