Better Call Saul

workingcinderellaman

The Marco storyline was not meaningless. Reconnecting with Marco allowed Jimmy to reconnect with a way of life where he was appreciated. Reconnect with the person his betraying brother will never trust or warm up to. Marco helped Jimmy move in the direction of becoming Saul.

I thought it was a very good episode.

I thought the Marco storyline was forced. Marco has a cough- Jimmy says-'Are u okay?'

Next scene Marco is dead.

Who dies of a cough? Less Marco more Mike

He didn't die of a cough. An overweight/obese man who is over-excited and has his adrenaline running is prime for a heart attack. No need ot suspend disbelief for plot purposes.

Also, Mike has no connection to Slipping Jimmy or desire to have Slipping Jimmy come back. Marco does.

Marco was used perfectly for plot purposes.

Again, loved the show, but Episode 10 was weak.

It was their Vapor Trails.

Marco also planted the seeds that Jimmy needed to turn....telling him he should be a lawyer in Chicago because Chuck's an asshole and not worth going back to and that if he's not making a killing as a lawyer he's doing it wrong. If not for that speech, Jimmy may have just went home and kept on track.

Jimmy's turn to Saul in a way to almost honor Marco. The shot of the ring and Jimmy singing Smoke On The Water pretty much seals that deal.

Edited by Justin Case
  • Like 1

The Marco storyline was not meaningless. Reconnecting with Marco allowed Jimmy to reconnect with a way of life where he was appreciated. Reconnect with the person his betraying brother will never trust or warm up to. Marco helped Jimmy move in the direction of becoming Saul.

I thought it was a very good episode.

I thought the Marco storyline was forced. Marco has a cough- Jimmy says-'Are u okay?'

Next scene Marco is dead.

Who dies of a cough? Less Marco more Mike

He could have had lung cancer or a million other things that can cause a cough. It was obvious from the first moment he coughed that it wasn't just an ordinary thing. For all we know, he was sick with something terminal and didn't say anything. I thought his cough was a call back to Walt's. When Marco started coughing I thought "does he have lung cancer to?"

Let's not forgot how Jimmy found him. Asleep at a bar in the middle of the afternoon. Yet, when he wakes up, Marco doesn't seem drunk or hungover, in fact he seems pretty with it. Maybe what he died from caused him to doze off at the bar? He more than likely had something more than your run of the mill cough.

Already marathoned it on Netflix! I read an interesting thought that the show may not have an ending. Because it has already "happened" in the other show. Who knows, it may end when this baseball caped man enters his office.

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/3/1/2/64239312/cuts/walter_white_cap_uw02xj9w_g1nthnum.jpg

Or maybe they'll jump and continue to where we saw Saul in the opening scene of the series. I just know the journey to Walter White will be a lot of fun, especially as Jimmy turns into Saul

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 1

AMC is marathoning the first season today leading up to the second season premiere tonight. So, if you need a little refresher on what happened last season, there you go.

3 hrs to go time and I forget what happened. Time to read synopses. hahahahaha.

SAUL!

SAUL!

SAUL!

Last week, I rewatched the first season, and I came away with a different view on the situation.

I know it's easy to hate Chuck for what he did, but he was sort of right about Jimmy. The only thing that motivated Jimmy to be an ethical person was because he felt indebted to Chuck. It was not a genuine sense of morality or a respect for the law, it was a sense of duty that only went as far as his brother. Jimmy was a cheat, the best con man around- only because his brother was Chuck, was he allowed to slip the wrap and cheat the system. Jimmy cleaned up, but still cheated the system; "earning" his Law Degree from the University of American Samoa, rather than persuing a proper accreditation. Jimmy financed his practice on a cheat: a bribe from the Kettlemans. Jimmy built his practice on a staged puiblicity stunt on that billboard, cheating again. Even when he persued noble ends with the Sandpiper case, he cheated to get in the bathroom and write the cease and desist on toilet paper; and he cheated to break into the dumpster and get the spoliated documents.

Jimmy can not follow the rules, and Chuck knew it. Chuck was able to contain Jimmy's aversion to the rules by steering him toward noble ends, but even so; he could not alleviate that aversion. He was forced to go behind Jimmy's back, because as we can tell, Jimmy goes off the rails without knowing that he has Chuck's respect.

Chuck was right about Jimmy all along. He was right to do what he did. Slippin' Jimmy with a law degree IS a chimp with a machine gun, and we all know where that goes; yet we're drawn into Jimmy's winsom, persuasive personality; just like everyone else in the show. We sympathize with the shyster more than the guy who sees through it.

And this show is terrific for making us see things that way.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

It's kind of interesting to see Jimmy slip back into Slipping Jimmy once he stops seeking Chuck's respect. But once he loses Marco, he needs a partner in crime. Kim. By the end of the episode he'd rather follow Kim's rules and remain a lawyer than be Slipping Jimmy alone. I have a terrible feeling that Kim will somehow leave him or die (maybe by his association with Nacho or some mistake) by the end of the season/series pushing him forever off the deep end Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 1

Wow. Big reveal there.

Maybe there's more to Mike's "no half measures" philosophy than we know.

I'm also really liking Chuck. I'm sensing that there's going to be a big aha moment that either exposes a flaw in his character, or he's going to be "left in pieces" as a result of Jimmy's rule breaking.

This show is the best thing on TV and has, in my opinion, exceeded even the quality of Breaking Bad. The character development and ability to paint a complete picture of this universe, that these writers have demonstrated, is astounding.

• Like 1

This was a slow drawn out episode.

But the reveal was cool.

The Kim storyline is wearing me out. Nice to see a glimpse into Chuck's past.

So much information there.

• Like 2

I find it interesting how the last episode began with Jimmy making a good impression upon Chuck's lady friend with his charm and good humor. But then the episode ended with Chuck making a good impression upon Jimmy's lady friend with his commitment to seriousness and ethics.

Either Chuck is one of the most honorable and good men on all TV, or he is one of its greatest scheming hypocrites. His actions are either motivated by a true commitment to the principle and ethic that he's spent a lifetime cultivating (which holds with the Gilligan 'people never change' credo), or he's pulling the strings on this whole Kim situation, knowing that she is the only person Jimmy is still trying to impress, hoping to push him down into his place once and for all (again using Howard as the 'bad cop', as he did with Jimmy in season 1). I really don't know... but the show has drawn a pretty stunning dichotomy, and either way, Chuck has become the most fascinating person on my TV lately.

• Like 1

Good breakdown on Chuck. Honestly I think he's an asshole....and both of those things you mention. Yes, he has an ethical code when it comes to his profession (which is awesome), but he's a spiteful and mean-spirited human being too who knows very little about personal loyalty. In fact on some levels he just might be downright wicked personally. We'll see how far that goes, but he's been simply hateful to Jimmy. He simply cannot love his brother for who he is, constantly embarrassed by him. I love that his gal (what happened to her?!? Guess we'll find out) was charmed by Jimmy and that bothered Chuck. Lord tryin' to tell you somethin' there, Chuckles. Lighten up homeboy. Your work ethic is only so important and really doesn't (or shouldn't IMO) be the thing that defines you. Jimmy is obviously far more misguided and prone to tap-dancing the ethical boundaries, gladly teetering over both sides of the line, but a better soul. I think they're exact opposites.

Can I just say that Michael McKean is simply wonderful in this role. This is career-defining stuff for the guy who's been Lenny Kosnowski on Laverne & Shirley and David St. Hubbins in Spinal Tap.

What a cast. I love this show more each week.

And...a bit of a spoiler here from the most recent episode:

(Great to see Uncle Tio in a speaking role and out of the chair too).

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 2

Good breakdown on Chuck. Honestly I think he's an asshole....and both of those things you mention. Yes, he has an ethical code when it comes to his profession (which is awesome), but he's a spiteful and mean-spirited human being too who knows very little about personal loyalty. In fact on some levels he just might be downright wicked personally.

Is he really so mean spirited? Or does he really just understand what's at stake.

We know that in the end, every concern he's expressed is right. Jimmy's tenancies toward rule breaking end up having disastrous consequences that affect and destroy dozens of lives... Is it really so disloyal to keep someone you care about in check, attempting to conceal that fact to spare their feelings, if it genuinely is for the best?

I guess it all depends on Chuck's real motivation... I'm looking forward to finding out what that is.

Howard showed us he is a man of honesty as well this past week.

When he went to Chuck's, Chuck wanted to give Howard the credit for getting Mesa Verde, but Howard let it be known quickly it was

Kim who got the account. I think Howard is as fascinating as Chuck.

Howard is overly accommodating to Chuck's flaky disease, turning off power, taking cell phones etc...

For the law firm to be HHM , the McGill portion has a ton of power at that firm.

Edited by Disembodied Spirit

The EM sensitivity is an interesting angle. I feel like the clues are there for us to put it all together, but I haven't got it yet... I'm confident that, in some form, Jimmy's behavior correlates with the severity of the disease... It will be interesting to see how they go about explaining that.
  • Like 1

Sidenote the Pink Elephant doll Mike brought to Kaylee, was used in BB

Season 5, Ep2. When he goes to Chow's house and kills Chris after he had killed Chow. Was just on, and I went 'I'll be damned that's the doll"

I guess he figured Kaylee had outgrown it....