Ever meet anyone claiming to be a big rush fan, when really - - -

nicky6

You meet people who claim they are the biggest rush fans. and really all they know is tom sawyer and roll the bones. I will quiz them to see if they are like us, I will say. what did you think of rush in rio, whats rush in rio? its thier new live dvd and cd, oh, i didnt know they had one out. phony. not a real fan, no excuses.. There are casual fans and then there are us... stories????
  • Like 1

It's probably just a case of the person being a big fan of the hits they know from the band. Don't let it upset you since most of those people are the kind of fans that make up the bulk of the audience at the shows. At least they know who the band is. Use it as an opportunity to try and turn them in to more music from Rush instead getting all wound up about it.
  • Like 3

I know two people that are like that... my parents...

They call them self for Rush fans, and still they complain when I play their music in the house, and I have NEVER heard them put on Rush music on their own...

• Like 2

It's probably just a case of the person being a big fan of the hits they know from the band. Don't let it upset you since most of those people are the kind of fans that make up the bulk of the audience at the shows. At least they know who the band is. Use it as an opportunity to try and turn them in to more music from Rush instead getting all wound up about it.

That's how it happened for me. The husband had a greatest hits cd in the car couple years and I realized how many of the songs I knew and started getting seriously interested. So for my birthday & Christmas my husband bought me Clockwork Angels and several live DVD's, then as I asked would download another album for me to listen to and I got hooked.

Had a friend like that back in high school..... unless it was Moving Pictures (or Exit...Stage Left) he wasn't having it.... Hemispheres...didn't want to hear anything other than The Trees and La Villa...Once Spirit was done on PW, he lost interest....

I once met a guy with a 2112 shirt. he said he enjoyed Rush. i started bringing up songs and albums......all i got was yea that's great. I got suspicious so i said

Dazed and confused is one of Rush's Best right?

guy: yea totally.

GOODBYE!!!!!!!!

lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

I once met a guy with a 2112 shirt. he said he enjoyed Rush. i started bringing up songs and albums......all i got was yea that's great. I got supisious so i said

Dazed and confused is one of Rush's Best right?

guy: yea totally.

GOODBYE!!!!!!!!

lol

Mick

What a idiot!

• Like 1

My mom, I love her to death but she's not the Rush fan she claims to be. I'll play The Spirit Of Radio and Limelight and she'll love it. Then I'll switch gears to YYZ, 2112 and Cygnus X1 and "It's giving me a headache". Maybe she'll appreciate those songs more on June 10th! ;)

I think of it kind of like what Jerry Garcia said about people who like the Grateful Dead. He said it was like people who like licorice. He said something like, "Some people like us, and some people don't. But the people who like us, REALLY like us." I think of Rush fans much the same way. Some people say they are fans of Rush because they like the two or three songs they've ever heard on rock radio. But the people who buy everything to support the band the band they love, and go to every show they possibly can. That's us.

I won't get into the 'real' Rush fan versus an...imitation Rush fan, I suppose? The cubic zirconia of Rush fandom, or whatever you want to call it...hahahaha. I think the 'real' Rush fan argument is bunk, for the most part.

There's just a difference between being a fan, and being truly fanatic, I think.

This post ended up being much longer than I intended it to be. I'll be going now...

• Like 5

I think of it kind of like what Jerry Garcia said about people who like the Grateful Dead. He said it was like people who like licorice. He said something like, "Some people like us, and some people don't. But the people who like us, REALLY like us." I think of Rush fans much the same way. Some people say they are fans of Rush because they like the two or three songs they've ever heard on rock radio. But the people who buy everything to support the band the band they love, and go to every show they possibly can. That's us.

I won't get into the 'real' Rush fan versus an...imitation Rush fan, I suppose? The cubic zirconia of Rush fandom, or whatever you want to call it...hahahaha. I think the 'real' Rush fan argument is bunk, for the most part.

There's just a difference between being a fan, and being truly fanatic, I think.

This post ended up being much longer than I intended it to be. I'll be going now...

Well there's the weekend fan, people who kind of listen to music on the weekends and kind of enjoy going to concerts now and then. Then there's the 24 hour a day fan, and that's a lot of us. We buy all the swag, go to as many concerts as we can and just enjoy everything about the band.

• Like 1

There's nothing "wrong" with casual fandom. Now, if you have someone like bluefox's friend, that's another story (and they don't know Zeppelin I? :o) but a casual fan is honestly no less a "real" fan than a devoted fanatic; they're simply less acquainted with the band's catalog (and who knows, they could just be starting to get in depth). Honestly I HATE it when people complain about fans not being "real"; it's that kind of attitude that turns people off of the band in the first place. Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 4

my mom says she loves them so much, and I know she really does, but she doesn't know as much as she thinks she does. once we were listening to Counterparts in the car and she said, "is this the album before A Clockwork Orange?" no matter how many times i correct her and tell her its Clockwork Angels she still calls it A Clockwork Orange.

i don't mind when i find people that are "sorta" into Rush, I actually really like it. it promotes conversation and i just really REALLY like talking about the band.

what i find more entertaining... is when i'm wearing a Rush shirt and someone asks me to name a few songs by them, questioning my fandom since i'm younger.

i was wearing a Moving Pictures shirt at work not long ago, and one of my bosses asked me to name 2 songs off the album. i rattled off every song on the album, in order, without hesitation. all he said was "ok, good" :dweez: #win

• Like 1

You meet people who claim they are the biggest rush fans. and really all they know is tom sawyer and roll the bones. I will quiz them to see if they are like us, I will say. what did you think of rush in rio, whats rush in rio? its thier new live dvd and cd, oh, i didnt know they had one out. phony. not a real fan, no excuses.. There are casual fans and then there are us... stories????

I meet people all the time who hate Geddy's voice but love the music. So lame.

You can't be a REAL RUSH FAN ™ unless you love Presto and S&A!

I love music, particularly classic rock and heavy metal, and up until a few years ago, all I knew were the Rush hits. I didn't even know they were still around. Thanks to social media, you tube, and slacker radio, I was able to dig into the deeper songs and buy their albums, and now I know all the songs

Like a previous poster said, don't be a snob, just turn them on to the deeper cuts. If they're into lyrics, like I am, they'll love it.

There really is no such thing as the "you either love 'em or hate 'em" scenario. There are plenty of people who like some and even several of Rush's songs, but not the entire catalogue. They'll know all the radio-friendly songs, and maybe a couple more, but that's about it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

The spectrum of any fan base consists of the same demographics. Obsessed hard core fan >>>>>>>>>>>>> very light casual fan.

• Like 1

First of all, I totally respect the casual fan who doesnt have the depth of knowledge most of us have. You dont have to know everything to be a fan of a band.

However, I will confess disappointment when I meet someone who says hes a big Rush fan, but when I start talking about deeper cuts, they quickly become confused.

All good either way to each his/her own.

There are also fans who don't pay attention to song titles. So, they may be fans but don't know what song you're talking about unless they hear it. That was the case ten years ago with a friend of mine that I helped get more into Rush. All he knew were the radio hits and had heard a few albums but nothing more. I burned him Rush's whole discography and he likes them a lot but to this day if I bring up specific song titles in a Rush conversation, he still sometimes doesn't know what songs i'm talking about right away. As soon as the song is played though he knows what it is.