What Would You Do?

troutman

Ok,

This is how it works,

We all make decisions in our daily lives. Right or wrong we make them and live with it.

I will start off and it can be any thing you think of. Today was supposed to be my day off as well as tomorrow. I agreed last week to work today for a co-worker. Another employee called in sick and we are already short handed. The person I worked for is also off tomorrow and if the sick employee calls in again today it will leave the lead person in a bad situation. Two rookies out of four people. Not good! Should I call the lead person and ask him if he would like me to work? Or should I just let it play out?

What would you do? :D

BTW,

This was last night Monday.

Edited by troutman

I would say it depends. If you're a long-time employee and you have a good professional record and reputation and so forth, I would think you could probably barter for a couple of different days off later this week, if you wanted to play it that way.

If you really don't mind filling up both of those scheduled days off with work, then yeah, do it. But if you really would like to have a couple of days away, then you might go with the first idea, above.

I hope you get a day off soon!

• Like 1

Are you looking to advance in this job at all? While it would certainly be a nice gesture, doing things like that also make higher-ups look at you more favorably.
  • Like 1

Should I call the lead person and ask him if he would like me to work?

This was me throughout all of my work life. I would always do this and always help out. Not to kiss @ss but it just seemed the "Golden Rule" thing to do. I would want some help if I needed it without having to beg. Unfortunately I was a manager of "people" for many years as well and sadly its amazing how many folks don't think the way I do....
  • Like 2

Troutman, don't be a toady. I am like you insofar as I would think to offer too. I have done that in the past where I worked. In the end (how I love that little phrase.....in the end :wub: ), it didn't help me. As far as I could tell, the days of repaying loyal employees were long over.

However, where you work could be different. In the end (there's that phrase again :wub: ), it is up to you. You have free will. And I'm starting to sound like Earl. :unsure:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I would say it depends. If you're a long-time employee and you have a good professional record and reputation and so forth, I would think you could probably barter for a couple of different days off later this week, if you wanted to play it that way.

If you really don't mind filling up both of those scheduled days off with work, then yeah, do it. But if you really would like to have a couple of days away, then you might go with the first idea, above.

Well,

It will be a year this March working there. I have a good reputation as well. I don't mind working on my day off today. I guess I feel bad for the lead person. He is older than I am and we work well together. Plus, we enjoy the same music and other interests. He has too much pride to call me and ask me to help out. Just thinking of his night tonight if he is left in this situation makes me feel obligated to at least offer to work. Hopefully the sick employee makes it tonight. He is also great at his job.

Edited by troutman

I would just let it play out. You don't own the business, do you? If you are an employee, let them take charge and decide what to do.

Yeah,

I understand that as well. But some times upper management could care less.

Well,

It will be a year this March working there. I have a good reputation as well. I don't mind working on my day off today. I guess I feel bad for the lead person. He is older than I am and we work well together. Plus, we enjoy the same music and other interests. He has too much pride to call me and ask me to help out. Just thinking of his night tonight if he is left in this situation makes me feel obligated to at least offer to work. Hopefully the sick employee makes it tonight. He is also great at his job.

Thats the key right there ^^^^ ..... Just my opinion. There are tons of folks out there who just want a check and keep their head down.... Edited by Narpski

Are you looking to advance in this job at all? While it would certainly be a nice gesture, doing things like that also make higher-ups look at you more favorably.

Funny you should mention this,

I am but it is outside of the bakery. A maintenance postion I put in for.

This was me throughout all of my work life. I would always do this and always help out. Not to kiss @ss but it just seemed the "Golden Rule" thing to do. I would want some help if I needed it without having to beg. Unfortunately I was a manager of "people" for many years as well and sadly its amazing how many folks don't think the way I do....

Exactly,

Not kissing a** but doing what you feel is right. My girlfriend tells me to let it play out. Not that easy for me though. :codger:

• Like 1

Exactly,

Not kissing a** but doing what you feel is right. My girlfriend tells me to let it play out. Not that easy for me though. :codger:

Feels good not to be a selfish bastard... :)
  • Like 2

Troutman, don't be a toady. I am like you insofar as I would think to offer too. I have done that in the past where I worked. In the end (how I love that little phrase.....in the end :wub: ), it didn't help me. As far as I could tell, the days of repaying loyal employees were long over.

However, where you work could be different. In the end (there's that phrase again :wub: ), it is up to you. You have free will. And I'm starting to sound like Earl. :unsure:

:LOL:

Still trying to wake up from a long night at work. At this point, I think I might just wait and see if management calls if I am needed. The lead guy won't unless he is really desperate.

• Like 1

Exactly,

:clap:

Exactly,

Sounds a lot like what my wife deals with. The clinic she works at is open 7:30am - 6pm. She works late on Mondays (9-6) and early on Thurs and Fri (7:30-4:30). She would always help out if another nurse couldn't cover the opening or closing duties and never had an issue. Her supervisor got promoted and the new woman that took over sucks. My wife is convinced she treats her poorly due to my wife being hispanic. My wife wins awards every year for being the nurse with the most positive comments left by patients in the surveys. It is not due to her work...

My wife does not go out of her way anymore.

• Like 1

Exactly,

Sounds a lot like what my wife deals with. The clinic she works at is open 7:30am - 6pm. She works late on Mondays (9-6) and early on Thurs and Fri (7:30-4:30). She would always help out if another nurse couldn't cover the opening or closing duties and never had an issue. Her supervisor got promoted and the new woman that took over sucks. My wife is convinced she treats her poorly due to my wife being hispanic. My wife wins awards every year for being the nurse with the most positive comments left by patients in the surveys. It is not due to her work...

My wife has moved up in her job at The Palace Theater in Myrtle Beach so many times over 10 years I couldn't tell ya. She hasn't asked or tried for any of it. She just got another 100 a week raise a couple weeks ago and practically runs the place at this point. Reliability, intelligence, niceness and hard work still pays off apparently.

We joke about "how to succeed at the palace without even trying"... :LOL:

• Like 1

Exactly,

My wife has moved up in her job at The Palace Theater in Myrtle Beach so many times over 10 years I couldn't tell ya. She hasn't asked or tried for any of it. She just got another 100 a week raise a couple weeks ago and practically runs the place at this point. Reliability, intelligence, niceness and hard work still pays off apparently.

We joke about "how to succeed at the palace without even trying"... :LOL:

That's awesome!!!

Good for her. Who says hard work never pays off? :D :7up:

Update,

The sick employee is going to make it to work. And my being promoted to the maintenance postion will be discussed this week!! :dweez:

Congrats!

Thanks,

I think I will get the job. But it might be in a week or two. The bakery is short handed at the present time.

Update,

The sick employee is going to make it to work. And my being promoted to the maintenance postion will be discussed this week!! :dweez:

Congrats!

Thanks,

I think I will get the job. But it might be in a week or two. The bakery is short handed at the present time.

Time flies...don't worry

• Like 1