Anybody really good with computers?

EagleMoon

I'm having a weird issue going on with my wireless connection at home. We have several computers on a home network, and one of the computers started having problems connecting to the Internet back before Christmas. It could get onto Google, Facebook, YouTube and Wikipedia with no trouble, but any other website wouldn't load. Thought it was that computer, so bought a new one for downstairs. Now that one has an issue as well. The same thing. Had the cable guy out a couple of times and finally they replaced the router with a new one but we're still having the same problems. Now another computer has come down with the same exact problem. Interestingly, the only two devices that can now reach the Internet are a desktop Mac and my iPhone. I've been trying to look online on my phone to figure out what might be going on, and I have found some issues with the ipv4 and ipv6 settings on my desktop computer. From what I can gather from watching some YouTube videos is that these settings are incorrect. (why all the sudden this happened, I have no idea. Didn't download anything new) I also did a boot virus scan and found a thing called Browsefox which supposedly it was able to take off. I did talk to someone at Best Buy where one of the computers came from recently but they weren't able to do much from on the phone. I know my next step is getting a computer expert out here to look at all of the stuff but I was hoping maybe someone on here might have heard of this. My eyes are crossing from trying to do all this research on my phone. Edited by EagleMoon

Forgot to mention that there are three desktop computers, one is running Windows 7, one has Windows 8 and one is a Mac. The Mac is hardwired into the router and doesn't have any problems. The Win. 7 & 8 run on the wireless. I've had problems on and off with my iPhone but for the most part it's been alright. I'm about to tear my hair out trying to figure this stuff out. Nobody seems to know what it is.

Yeah, this is kinda out of my field. ILS or LiX might have a better answer.

I realize it would be a pain in the dick, but have you tried hard wiring the Windows desktops into the router like your Mac currently is? You say that the Mac is able to use the Internet like normal, and that it's the only one that's hardwired in.

I don't have a solution for this, but that might help diagnose the problem a bit better if you can try hardwiring the Windows computers.

I have never heard of a wireless network selectively allowing websites.

How is the router secured? I would start by changing the network name and the password to something quite secure. Maybe take a Rush lyric you like and use that as a password...

For example:

"For the words of the profits were written on the studio wall, concert hall" = 4twotpwwotswCH!

It may be possible the wireless connection has been hacked if not tightly secured. Without a whole lot more detail, it's hard to take a guess here.

How is the router secured? I would start by changing the network name and the password to something quite secure. Maybe take a Rush lyric you like and use that as a password...

For example:

"For the words of the profits were written on the studio wall, concert hall" = 4twotpwwotswCH!

It may be possible the wireless connection has been hacked if not tightly secured. Without a whole lot more detail, it's hard to take a guess here.

Funny thing is, the current router is new, with a new password. Last night one of the computers was able to access the internet, but another one still has the problem. It seems to be real erratic. The one I use is still having issues. Could this be a browser hijacker or something in the network?

For example:

Funny thing is, the current router is new, with a new password. Last night one of the computers was able to access the internet, but another one still has the problem. It seems to be real erratic. The one I use is still having issues. Could this be a browser hijacker or something in the network?

Would be strange that everything is having the issue, but you may want to run some anti-virus/spyware software to make sure something isn't going on. What happens when you try to go to other sites? Does it just timeout?

For example:

Would be strange that everything is having the issue, but you may want to run some anti-virus/spyware software to make sure something isn't going on. What happens when you try to go to other sites? Does it just timeout?

If I use Firefox, it says it times out. If I use chrome it just says the website is not available.

I've run Malwarebytes, C cleaner, and the avast virus scanner. Only thing that showed up on one of the computers like I said in the first post, was a thing called browsefox, but it said that was deleted

Edited by EagleMoon

Sounds like you have some kind of parental control blocking the sites.

Do you have such a thing on your PC network, or router? A widget or application given to you by your internet provider or something you downloaded?

Do you have such a thing on your PC network, or router? A widget or application given to you by your internet provider or something you downloaded?

No I don't. The computer that I use just started doing this a few days ago and it had been fine. The other computer downstairs has been doing it from about two weeks after it was bought.

Edited by EagleMoon

No I don't. The computer that I use just started doing this a few days ago and it had been fine. The other computer downstairs has been doing it from about two weeks after it was bought.

So nothing provided by your ISP. Most offer some kind of security application so I thought it could be that.

Nothing like a browser extension or add on? Disable all extensions on all browsers on all PCs. Adblock?

Cleared cache in your browser ( including cookies)

Disable firewall and see if you can connect to these sites.

Do you have tethering on your mobile data? If so connect to the Internet via that and see if you can get on those sites.

Can you connect to someone else's internet router and see if the problem persists?

So nothing provided by your ISP. Most offer some kind of security application so I thought it could be that.

Nothing like a browser extension or add on? Disable all extensions on all browsers on all PCs. Adblock?

Cleared cache in your browser ( including cookies)

Disable firewall and see if you can connect to these sites.

Do you have tethering on your mobile data? If so connect to the Internet via that and see if you can get on those sites.

Can you connect to someone else's internet router and see if the problem persists?

I've tried most all of those things except connecting through my cell phone or someone else's router. Don't have access to someone else's router, but I can try the mobile thing.

Edited by EagleMoon

Have you rebooted the router? (Just unplug it and leave for a few mins).

Also log on to router and see if there is any kind of access control enabled.

Yes we have reboot the router. Also turned everything off, all of the computers and the router and let them sit for a few minutes, then turned the router on, let it boot up and then turned on the computers but no luck. I'm not sure how to log on to the router.

Put that into your browser address bar and log on. The admin access codes should be on the router.

Nothing happens when I do this.

EDIT: Okay tried it again and I get a name and password request. I have a picture I took of the info on the bottom of the router, but nothing seems to work.

Edited by EagleMoon

Was able to get in to the router but none of the parental controls were enabled. Still having the problem. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend a bunch of money to have somebody come out to the house but I don't know what else to try at this point.

Start with a basic connectivity test. Open a Command Prompt (DOS) window on a pc that won't connect. type:

ping yahoo.com (press enter) You should get 4 replys right away.

Repeat on all pcs that don't connect.

If you do not get replys, check the IP settings. Make sure all the network cards are using DHCP. You have already looked at IPv6 and IPv4 so I think you know where to look for this. Strat|Settings|Control Panel|Network Connections. Right click on the network card and choose properties, look at the porperties of IPv4. Make sure all the settings are set to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically".

Go back to your command prompt window and try the ping again. If you still have a problem do this in the command prompt window:

ipconfig /renew (press enter)

then:

ipconfig /flushdns (press enter)

If this works repeat on the pcs that are having issues.

Start with a basic connectivity test. Open a Command Prompt (DOS) window on a pc that won't connect. type:

ping yahoo.com (press enter) You should get 4 replys right away.

Repeat on all pcs that don't connect.

If you do not get replys, check the IP settings. Make sure all the network cards are using DHCP. You have already looked at IPv6 and IPv4 so I think you know where to look for this. Strat|Settings|Control Panel|Network Connections. Right click on the network card and choose properties, look at the porperties of IPv4. Make sure all the settings are set to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically".

Go back to your command prompt window and try the ping again. If you still have a problem do this in the command prompt window:

ipconfig /renew (press enter)

then:

ipconfig /flushdns (press enter)

If this works repeat on the pcs that are having issues.

Thanks DM, tried all of this and nothing seems to help. And now tonight, I can't even get on Facebook and it's saying that I have limited connectivity. I have one of those yellow triangular signs over my Internet connection in the task bar. Disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't help.

Okay, I'm having problems with this again. All of the sudden a couple of weeks ago I got a notification that DHCP was not enabled on my Internet connection. It has been, so I'm not sure why it was saying it wasn't. But then it worked fine. Now today when I tried to get online, I'm having the same issues. The Ipv4 settings keep disappearing. Edited by EagleMoon

Just after I posted that last post I figured out a fix, at least for now. :LOL: I set it to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and that fixed it. It was a total accident and I was just trying things to be trying things. So if anyone ever has this problem, try that. :)
  • Like 1