#2 WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1825 posts
  • Interests:Mountain biking, kayaking, roller hockey
    Bass guitar, Keys and Drums

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:05 PM

I love the Irvine Meadows Amphitheater... After the R40 Tour...

I will have seen RUSH.......26 times... In 5 decades… At 9 venues… In 9 cities… In 2 countries…

Irvine Meadows has been one of the best venues ever.....Great sound and great atmosphere.

Edited by WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER, 06 February 2015 - 08:07 PM.

#3 jamie

jamie

The Biggest Thing Since Powdered TOST

• Members
  • 12162 posts
  • Interests:cats, dogs, sleeping, steve harris, bass players with long brown hair

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostWIDE-ANGLE WATCHER, on 06 February 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

I love the Irvine Meadows Amphitheater... After the R40 Tour...

I will have seen RUSH.......26 times... In 5 decades… At 9 venues… In 9 cities… In 2 countries…

Irvine Meadows has been one of the best venues ever.....Great sound and great atmosphere.
Good! I (may) be seeing them here!

#4 jjgittes

jjgittes

The Seeker

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

Agree that Irvine is a great place to watch a concert, once you get seated. And therein lies the rub. The traffic, parking, and concessions are atrocious, and that is being kind. I think this venue will soon go the way of the Universal City one-time ampitheatre which was allowed to rot,even before the plans for Harry Potter world were announced and it was closed down. Irvine meadows is being ignored and may have been closed down by now if the California economy didn't crash. Per many reports, along  with Six Flags in Valencia, offers for the land dried up and that is the main reason the structure is still standing. Even the Los Angeles Times lamented that in an area where outdoor venues should be cherished, the Irvine Meadows owners have simply stopped caring.
That being said, even though I have tix for the Los Angeles show, lawn seats are still available. And it is Rush for goodness sakes. I am thinking of adding this show,even if i will be treated worse than a cow in a slaughterhouse. After all, if Irvine is the lemon, Rush is certainly the lemonade.

Edited by jjgittes, 14 May 2015 - 08:08 PM.

#5 Self-Indulgence

Self-Indulgence

The Professor

• Members
  • 4622 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

View Postjjgittes, on 14 May 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

Agree that Irvine is a great place to watch a concert, once you get seated. And therein lies the rub. The traffic, parking, and concessions are atrocious, and that is being kind. I think this venue will soon go the way of the Universal City one-time ampitheatre which was allowed to rot,even before the plans for Harry Potter world were announced and it was closed down. Irvine meadows is being ignored and may have been closed down by now if the California economy didn't crash. Per many reports, along  with Six Flags in Valencia, offers for the land dried up and that is the main reason the structure is still standing. Even the Los Angeles Times lamented that in an area where outdoor venues should be cherished, the Irvine Meadows owners have simply stopped caring.
That being said, even though I have tix for the Los Angeles show, lawn seats are still available. And it is Rush for goodness sakes. I am thinking of adding this show,even if i will be treated worse than a cow in a slaughterhouse. After all, if Irvine is the lemon, Rush is certainly the lemonade.

I've always had fun at Irvine Meadows. Of course if you have Orchestra seats, the concessions are no problem. Lawn and Terrace are a hassle. Especially at sold out events. If you have the lower loge seats, it's a long walk to get beer and relief. It's still a great venue, though. And I hope it lasts another 10 years.

I've seen Rush their once.

#6 WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1825 posts
  • Interests:Mountain biking, kayaking, roller hockey
    Bass guitar, Keys and Drums

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

One of my best memories of this venue is in 1990, at the last show on the Presto Tour.
Alex was on fire that night and the sound overall was excellent.
After many shows at the San Diego Sports Arena, which used to have horrible acoustics, anywhere else seemed much better. After seeing others shows and other bands at Irvine, the sound has always been a highlight. The venue is a bit shotty I suppose, but the sound and my many experiences there have been great.

#7 Self-Indulgence

Self-Indulgence

The Professor

• Members
  • 4622 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

View PostWIDE-ANGLE WATCHER, on 15 May 2015 - 04:23 PM, said:

One of my best memories of this venue is in 1990, at the last show on the Presto Tour.
Alex was on fire that night and the sound overall was excellent.
After many shows at the San Diego Sports Arena, which used to have horrible acoustics, anywhere else seemed much better. After seeing others shows and other bands at Irvine, the sound has always been a highlight. The venue is a bit shotty I suppose, but the sound and my many experiences there have been great.

I like the parking lot scene there. Always have. The cops are reasonable and easy to spot.

I remember the 2008 show(it was my last). Alex played the same sunburst Les Paul on almost every song. He caught fire several times.

Also...I've been to SD sports arena once. Yes - Big Generator 1988. The sound was poor to fair, I thought. We had nosebleeds. Still a great night.

Edited by Self-Indulgence, 15 May 2015 - 07:57 PM.

#8 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:09 PM

Irvine Meadows is definitely a classic SoCal venue, but it's in its twilight years for sure. It was supposed to shut down two years ago, but as someone mentioned, the deal fell through.

I'm going here over the last show at the Forum simply because I prefer outdoor shows over indoor shows.

#9 robertrobyn

robertrobyn

Positive attitude, positive results

• Members
  • 1806 posts
  • Interests:Rush and More Rush!! Collecting Rush Stuff!!! My Family!

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:48 AM

I bought lawn seats.
7-23-15 San Jose
7-30-15 Irvine
8-1-15 The Forum

#10 jjgittes

jjgittes

The Seeker

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:33 PM

Speaking of lawn seats, can anyone detail the exact policies about what I can and can't bring with me? Their policies are confusing since their website says you can bring beach chairs and blankets yet the reviews on the newest Bible of information, Yelp, say they do not allow either. No biggie but any clarification would be much appreciated.

#11 Self-Indulgence

Self-Indulgence

The Professor

• Members
  • 4622 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:04 PM

Bringing lawn chairs to Irvine is possible at those all day concerts that start at 2pm. But I wouldn't for a Rush concert. The lawn will have 3000+ people standing for sure. People also like to dance around burning things on the lawn. :chickendance: :fury: :chickendance:

#12 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:28 PM

View Postjjgittes, on 05 June 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

Speaking of lawn seats, can anyone detail the exact policies about what I can and can't bring with me? Their policies are confusing since their website says you can bring beach chairs and blankets yet the reviews on the newest Bible of information, Yelp, say they do not allow either. No biggie but any clarification would be much appreciated.

At Irvine, it really depends day to day, unfortunately.

Sometimes they'll let that stuff in. Sometimes they won't. It's a crapshoot. :)

#13 Self-Indulgence

Self-Indulgence

The Professor

• Members
  • 4622 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:55 PM

View PostBard, on 12 June 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

View Postjjgittes, on 05 June 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

At Irvine, it really depends day to day, unfortunately.

Sometimes they'll let that stuff in. Sometimes they won't. It's a crapshoot. :)
Good point, Bard.
I've only been on the lawn a handful of times. The only time I remember seeing the lawn full of beach chairs was at Jack's Third Show(2008). We saw Twisted Sister and Blondie back to back.

#14 robertrobyn

robertrobyn

Positive attitude, positive results

• Members
  • 1806 posts
  • Interests:Rush and More Rush!! Collecting Rush Stuff!!! My Family!

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:06 PM

Yeah me and my buddy bought lawn seats for this one since we are in LA for the last show and San Jose the week before. I have bad legs so Im going to bring a small pocket chair to sit every once in a while. like intermission.

#15 Self-Indulgence

Self-Indulgence

The Professor

• Members
  • 4622 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:57 PM

View Postrobertrobyn, on 13 June 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

Yeah me and my buddy bought lawn seats for this one since we are in LA for the last show and San Jose the week before. I have bad legs so Im going to bring a small pocket chair to sit every once in a while. like intermission.

That chair would come in handy for getting in line early. That way maybe you can get on the railing.

#16 jamie

jamie

The Biggest Thing Since Powdered TOST

• Members
  • 12162 posts
  • Interests:cats, dogs, sleeping, steve harris, bass players with long brown hair

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

Hopefully I can get lawn seats for this show. I don't give a damn where I sit, I just wanna be there.

#17 tripdad

tripdad

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, camping, fishing. Spending time with my teenage triplets.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

What do you think the drive time would be from LAX to the venue?  Me and a bud are coming in day of show and need to scramble to get there in time.  Any suggestions on best route(s) to take would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

#18 Self-Indulgence

Self-Indulgence

The Professor

• Members
  • 4622 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:32 PM

405 south. The whole way.

If traffic is light, the drive time should only be a little over an hour.

Good luck!

#19 jjgittes

jjgittes

The Seeker

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:58 PM

Drive time may be an hour but suggest you add another hour from the freeway exit to the venue. Seriously, for the r30 tour it was 45 minutes from when we exited the freeway until we were seated.

#20 tripdad

tripdad

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, camping, fishing. Spending time with my teenage triplets.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

View Postjamie, on 13 July 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

Hopefully I can get lawn seats for this show. I don't give a damn where I sit, I just wanna be there.

lawn seats still available.  I just bought two yesterday.  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users