Ernie Banks "Mr. Cub" (1931-2015)

Principled Man

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5XxjSQgxTPk/S8gKMILl-iI/AAAAAAAAAG0/fjVQlThmzRQ/s1600/ernie_banks+2.jpg

19 Seasons with the Chicago Cubs (1953-1971)

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

A real shame, I was 2 when he retired, so I never really saw him play. But, as a life long Cub fan, I always had a high respect for Ernie. He seemed like a cool guy who really enjoyed what he did.

RIP Mr. Cub

• Like 4

I was 11 in 71' and was a huge baseball fan. I remember him playing some. He was always one of my dads favorites too. Super man and player. By all accounts he had a long and wonderful life and you can't ask for or do much better than that.

:cheers: and RIP Mr Cub

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

The guy lived the American dream, black kid , one of 12 kids from Dallas, TX getting a Presidential medal, a statue outside Wrigley Field, and really loved by the entire city (even most Sox fans). He did not really make all that much money from baseball (God knows what his salary would be now with that talent) and did really well in retirement and helped a lot of people.

An American Great, beyond anything he did on the field

• Like 2

Santo, Kessinger, Beckert, Banks, the infield third to first.

That was the sound of my childhood summers as the first team I followed were the tragically flawed 69 Cubs. All the home games were played during the day and on WGN. Banks was a shell of himself as a player, but he still was my favorite Cub though by then Williams and Santo were better.

RIP Ernie :rose:

• Like 1

I am too young to have seen him play, but I think we all saw the tremendous heart and character of the man in his years after baseball. He was a great ambassador for the Cubs and baseball, in general, of course. He was also an ambassador for simple human kindness... a gem of a man.

So long, Mr. Banks. I am sure they will let you play two in Heaven. Maybe they will even let you and Stan the Man be on the same bench for a while. Now that would be something to see.

• Like 1

I've been an Angels fan since 1989 when I was 8 years old. That same year, I lived with my grandpa in August and he grew up in Chicago so I'd watch Cubs games on WGN with him. That's how I knew about the Pete Rose scandal when they played one against the Reds. They were a really good team that year with greats like Ryno, Grace and Dawson. I have a soft spot for them when it comes to NL teams.

RIP Mr. Cub. :rose:

• Like 2

http://gamedayrcom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ernie-banks-scouting-report.jpeg

Thank you for posting this. It's really cool!

Thanks!