So Denver is $130.00 plus $16 per ticket fees. Does this seem a little high to anyone else? I know, it's Rush and I've seen every tour since Signals but I think this might be a just a bit out of my range. I paid $70.00 for Springsteen last year and he's still a much bigger draw. Just sayin'.

Before I get blasted here, I'm totally okay with the guys getting every penny they can. I'm just wondering if anyone else might be at their limit for what they will pay.

HW

Edited by HigherWater
  • Like 1

Certain bands don't have limits for me (Rush is one of them)

Mine were $127. plus service fees...At another venue I was considering, they were $158. plus the service fees...

I don't think that 99% of the pricing issue is the band's doing... I think that a lot of the pricing issues these days are that the venues know that people WILL PAY for tickets, since they see tickets go for astronomical prices on E-bay and Stub-Hub, etc....The lazy a$$e$ who started getting tickets in that manner rather than stand in line...sit and dial the phone until they get through...or now sit online and attempt to get in and get decent seats are the ones that put the prices WAY up...

Edited by Jaminbenb

There are 2 main factors that go into ticket prices.

1. The promoter guarantee.

Major acts (like RUSH) get paid a flat rate per show. It doesn't matter if it sells out or if there are only 6,000 tickets sold. LiveNation (The promoter in this case) is paying the band X amount of money for Y number of shows (LN is not the promoter for all shows. Atlanta is not a LN show and all the Canadian dates are handled by SRO)

2. Supply & Demand.

This is the tricky part. LN sets the price for each city based on past history and current market conditions. So while tix in NYC are right at $200 Tulsa is only $128 (if memory serves). LN knows that there will be at least 10,000 people at NYC so they get to make up a bit of that guarantee that they're going to fall short on say in Greensboro (for example, I don't know for a fact that show won't sell well but I'm guessing it will be a lesser attended show).

The court documents filed by Rush in the counter suit during Alex's Naples incident indicated that each member of Rush each make 1/6th of the gross for each show. Basically, the band takes half and the rest goes to operating expenses, pay roadies, per diems, travel, etc. If I recall, the documents were not clear about merchandise, or promoter fees, etc.

Of course, who knows what the accuracy of those documents were - they were trying to scare the police into dropping their suit against Lerxst. But they were pretty substantially documented.

• Like 1

I don't recall exactly what prices were for CA tour - have to check my stubs - but the prices today seemed very high.

Top tier tickets in Philly, with fees, came to ~$178, New York was ~$224, Tampa will be ~$173.

FYI - I just paid $50 for tickets to see Steven Wilson at the Best Buy Theater in New York. When I saw him in St Petersburg, FL on the last tour it was $27. Yeah, I guess he's not a big name, but still.... I"m sure SW fans would pay 2x that amount, yet they manage to keep those prices low

The court documents filed by Rush in the counter suit during Alex's Naples incident indicated that each member of Rush each make 1/6th of the gross for each show. Basically, the band takes half and the rest goes to operating expenses, pay roadies, per diems, travel, etc. If I recall, the documents were not clear about merchandise, or promoter fees, etc.

Of course, who knows what the accuracy of those documents were - they were trying to scare the police into dropping their suit against Lerxst. But they were pretty substantially documented.

Thank you.

Snaked, just so I can understand how this business (and I really think it's a shame that it has turned into such a business) works, on top of their "flat rate" - what do they get per venue?

I don't know the particulars. If I were to make an edumacated guess I would say the guarantee for this tour is somewhere between 11.5Mil (on the very low end) to 23Mil (on the extremely high end). So lets guesstimate they'll most likely gross around 16.5Mil

ETA: These guesses do NOT include merchandise dollars.

Edited by Snaked

Now I'm confused. They get a flat rate per venue PLUS half of what the show grosses?

I'll make up an example - Rush's flat rate is $500,000.00. Madison Square Garden makes $990,000.00 on one Rush show. Rush gets their flat rate ($500,000) plus how much of the $990,000.00 MSG makes? This is where I'm confused.

I'm stupid so bear with me please.

Edited by Lorraine

No.

They get the guarantee.

RUSH as a business is split into MANY businesses (I don't remember all the names off the top of my head) but there is By-Tour (the touring management company) and then each member is their own private corporation to protect them personally.

So to say it gets split 6 ways lets say Ged, Alex, Neil each get 1/6. Then SRO/Anthem, By-Tour and... hmmm.. can't remember every arm of the organization right now, sorry! LOL

Edited by Snaked

No.

They get the guarantee.

RUSH as a business is split into MANY businesses (I don't remember all the names off the top of my head) but there is By-Tour (the touring management company) and then each member is their own private corporation to protect them personally.

So to say it gets split 6 ways lets say Ged, Alex, Neil each get 1/6. Then SRO/Anthem, By-Tour and... hmmm.. can't remember every arm of the organization right now, sorry! LOL

I thought Anthem was owned by Ray Danniels?

So Denver is $130.00 plus $16 per ticket fees. Does this seem a little high to anyone else? I know, it's Rush and I've seen every tour since Signals but I think this might be a just a bit out of my range. I paid $70.00 for Springsteen last year and he's still a much bigger draw. Just sayin'.

Before I get blasted here, I'm totally okay with the guys getting every penny they can. I'm just wondering if anyone else might be at their limit for what they will pay.

HW

Check out the NYC prices...

...that may help you feel better. :)

• Like 1

There are 2 main factors that go into ticket prices.

1. The promoter guarantee.

Major acts (like RUSH) get paid a flat rate per show. It doesn't matter if it sells out or if there are only 6,000 tickets sold. LiveNation (The promoter in this case) is paying the band X amount of money for Y number of shows (LN is not the promoter for all shows. Atlanta is not a LN show and all the Canadian dates are handled by SRO)

2. Supply & Demand.

This is the tricky part. LN sets the price for each city based on past history and current market conditions. So while tix in NYC are right at $200 Tulsa is only $128 (if memory serves). LN knows that there will be at least 10,000 people at NYC so they get to make up a bit of that guarantee that they're going to fall short on say in Greensboro (for example, I don't know for a fact that show won't sell well but I'm guessing it will be a lesser attended show).

There are also some secondary factors/costs that impact promoter costs. Venue rates are significantly higher these days. Talk to anyone who works for an arena that, for example, hosts an NBA franchise, and they will tell you about all the cool perks, free food, and free tickets (although they do have to pay income tax on the value of many of them) they score. But here's the thing... those things aren't really free... they are funded by facility rental fees. Those fees are obviously charged to the promoters and passed on to the consumer.

Likewise, it seems artists are more willing to accept the reality of a higher concert ticket price for their fans because they are making less and less money off actual studio music.

But, in the end, you are absolutely right about supply and demand. I gulped a bit when I saw the prices when I bought some duckets today... but I also clicked "Continue" and entered a credit card number.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 1

How does the venue make money then? Do they charge the band to rent the place for xxx amount of hours?

Yes.

The promoter has the pay a venue rental fee in order to have the place for the night of the show. The venue makes their money with that and concessions. That's why a beer and a hot dog cost you $15, it's the main way the venue makes money. They see nothing from the ticket/merch sales. That all goes the the band/concert promoter and then is used to pay for the tour expenses. In order for the concert promoter to make money, they have to make back in ticket sales whatever the rental fee is for the venue.

• Like 3

How does the venue make money then? Do they charge the band to rent the place for xxx amount of hours?

Yes.

The promoter has the pay a venue rental fee in order to have the place for the night of the show. The venue makes their money with that and concessions. That's why a beer and a hot dog cost you $15, it's the main way the venue makes money. They see nothing from the ticket/merch sales. That all goes the the band/concert promoter and then is used to pay for the tour expenses. In order for the concert promoter to make money, they have to make back in ticket sales whatever the rental fee is for the venue.

What is the typical cost to rent a place?

Yes, they know you will pay any price to see them. That bothers me that advantage is taken of love for the band.

I think this is where I am as well. The notion that the band has NO control over pricing is just not true. The band CHOOSES to not have control over pricing. Springsteen has control, Pearl Jam has control. Bands can have control if the want it.

My current plan is to "pick-up" a show on the day-of if the mood and the wallet meet up in harmony. The $600.00 that would have been spent taking the family to see Rush will be spent on a condo at our favorite ski resort during Spring Break. This makes me really sad but I have to think bang-for-the-buck.

Edited by HigherWater
  • Like 2

Yes, they know you will pay any price to see them. That bothers me that advantage is taken of love for the band.

I think this is where I am as well. The notion that the band has NO control over pricing is just not true. The band CHOOSES to not have control over pricing. Springsteen has control, Pearl Jam has control. Bands can have control if the want it.

My current plan is to "pick-up" a show on the day-of if the mood and the wallet meet up in harmony. The $600.00 that would have been spent taking the family to see Rush will be spent on a condo at our favorite ski resort during Spring Break. This makes me really sad but I have to think bang-for-the-buck.

Good for you! And I'm glad you see it too. Why should you give your hard earned money to men who don't need it? I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.