$200 for all floor seats except VIP in chicago, but they'll fill it, or come pretty close. Smaller towns and venues will have cheaper prices. Edited by 2112FirstStreet

Regardless of how the revenue is split between performers, venues, etc., you can bet one thing....no one is in this just to break even. Everyone in the food chain prospers.

So does the band or Live Nation pick the cities to play in? I have wondered how that works as well.

This is the way I understand it works, and anyone who knows more or better, please correct me.

Band management puts out the word Rush wants to tour. Promoter springs into action. Only interest is making big $$$$$$$. Venues that seat the most bring in the most $$$$$$$. Makes everyone happy. :) Enough Big Money to go around the world and back into the pockets of Rush. :)

Although I am sure if those dear relatives of Alex, Aunt Frannie and cousins Ralphie and Myrtle, lived in Goatnut, Tennessee and couldn't get to see Rush at a nearby city, Rush could ask that the Roxomania Theater in Goatnut, which features the local marching band contest every year, book them to make Frannie, Ralphie and Myrtle happy.

:)

Edited by Lorraine

Yes, they know you will pay any price to see them. That bothers me that advantage is taken of love for the band.

I think this is where I am as well. The notion that the band has NO control over pricing is just not true. The band CHOOSES to not have control over pricing. Springsteen has control, Pearl Jam has control. Bands can have control if the want it.

My current plan is to "pick-up" a show on the day-of if the mood and the wallet meet up in harmony. The $600.00 that would have been spent taking the family to see Rush will be spent on a condo at our favorite ski resort during Spring Break. This makes me really sad but I have to think bang-for-the-buck.

Agreed. Some people here that probabaly have jobs paying well into 6-figs, some maybe much more, just act as if everyone has a cool grand to throw around. I also notice that some are older individuals or couples that probably don't have families with young kids and the like. Try explaining to your family that you couldn't do that Memorial Day annual weekend at the beach because you decided that it was more importent to have a front-row seat for Rush or any band for that matter instead. Wouldn't make me much of a Dad now, would it.

Bandmembers decide to turn down hundreds of K to be able to have some time with their families, how much more so for a family that has to choose between a family vacation, perhaps the only one of the year, and a ticket to a concert for one person, or perhaps just Mom & Dad!

I'm old enough to remember, as are many here, when concert tix were gotten directly at the box office with no fees whatsoever. Nowadays they even charge you fees even if you get the tix directly from the arena/venue. This is a societal thing that has developed. Companies, originally started by Ticketmaster, are legally allowed to make arrangements to purchase tix ahead of time simply to resell them. There is no value-added, it's purely greed.

I don't think that a lot of the bands like it anymore than the fans, but the music industry has been so corrupted it should be shameful.

Edited by Wingmaster
  • Like 3

How does the venue make money then? Do they charge the band to rent the place for xxx amount of hours?

Yes.

The promoter has the pay a venue rental fee in order to have the place for the night of the show. The venue makes their money with that and concessions. That's why a beer and a hot dog cost you $15, it's the main way the venue makes money. They see nothing from the ticket/merch sales. That all goes the the band/concert promoter and then is used to pay for the tour expenses. In order for the concert promoter to make money, they have to make back in ticket sales whatever the rental fee is for the venue.

Just think of the insurance costs....for the venue, the band, & everyone involved. Especially when the band utitlizes fireworks and other dangerous stuff.....

I love how these posts sometimes go. I never thought this one would end up as a discussion about how/why or what bands charge for tickets. My only question was whether or not Rush had priced anyone else out of this tour. I for one am a school teacher with very limited funds. I am definitely priced out!-- At least as far as taking my family goes. It's really sad actually. We are a Rush house. We look forward to tours and we've even traveled a bit. This would have been my 11-year-olds 4th show and the third for my 8-year-old. It will be the first tour I have missed since Signals. Bummer.

As for the direction of this post: I truly believe that bands, especially Hall of Fame bands with serious draw and clout, can have as much say as they choose when it comes to ticket prices. I think we Rush fans give the boys a certain amount of plausible deniability (yes, that's a T4E reference). Don't you all think that Eddie Vedder could get $200 a pop if he wanted to? Why do you think he settled for such a low ceiling on the last tour? Well, we know he hates ticketmaster, and we know he truly loves his fans. I think that Rush love their fans too-- just in a very different way.

Yeah, I hear you. I did think the ticket prices were outrageous this time around (though admittedly, I don't recall how much my CA tickets were - other than the one VIP that I bought for ~$300.) I looked back at my first Rush ticket stub from 1984 - $12.50. Of course, I was in high school...that was my lawn mowing money! I saw 7 shows on the TFE tour. Of course, that was after I started my job, and pre-marriage, pre-kids. Funds were available and the tickets were relatively cheap. I did take my eldest son with me to see our local show on the CA tour. Not this time. Yeah, it is insane. It did not price me out completely, I'm going to two shows, but I think I would have considered another show (for example, IF there had been one in West Palm or Jacksonville...)

I just bought tickets to see Steven Wilson in NYC in May. They were $50 for 3rd row. On the previous tour, I paid $27 for a general admission show. Now, SW is probably my favorite musician of recent years - I think I would have paid at least twice, maybe even 3x for those seats. I bet most hardcore SW fans would pay that much as well. How can SW leave that money on the table? I guess there is a price point and a balance between getting what you can from hardcore fans and attracting new more casual fans to go. I believe Rush is in a different place. Much larger audience, lots of long term hardcore fans (that are obviously paying these prices), very expensive touring arrangement (large production, crew, G&A flying to hub cities, etc. They have a chef and in the past have had a French teacher on tour with them. They ain't touring cheap. unlike SW) Coupled with the "most likely the last tour of this magnitude..." statement - yeah, there is a bit of capitalism coming out here. (duh!) It is a business and Ray Danniels is maximizing profits. They are getting all that they can. It does suck for lots of fans. So, in one breathe I am disappointed, yet I did buy tickets to one show and plan to for one other. But steep price increases have happened since VT, and fans complain, and many are disappointed, but the shows still sell tons of tickets. I guess until more and more fans put down their foot and just don't buy tickets, they could continue this until 2112 (well, I do think 2015 is one of, if not the last chances...)

I remember a kid in high school telling me about seeing Rush on the Counterparts tour (at this time, I had only listened to Chronicles (stopped at Subdivisions) and RTB) and how the tickets were $80. I worked all summer and had a budget of about $100/month, and I remember thinking that this kid was crazy. But this is capitalism. If people continue to pay the prices, the prices will go up. If not, they'll come down.

I love how these posts sometimes go. I never thought this one would end up as a discussion about how/why or what bands charge for tickets. My only question was whether or not Rush had priced anyone else out of this tour. I for one am a school teacher with very limited funds. I am definitely priced out!-- At least as far as taking my family goes. It's really sad actually. We are a Rush house. We look forward to tours and we've even traveled a bit. This would have been my 11-year-olds 4th show and the third for my 8-year-old. It will be the first tour I have missed since Signals. Bummer.

As for the direction of this post: I truly believe that bands, especially Hall of Fame bands with serious draw and clout, can have as much say as they choose when it comes to ticket prices. I think we Rush fans give the boys a certain amount of plausible deniability (yes, that's a T4E reference). Don't you all think that Eddie Vedder could get $200 a pop if he wanted to? Why do you think he settled for such a low ceiling on the last tour? Well, we know he hates ticketmaster, and we know he truly loves his fans. I think that Rush love their fans too-- just in a very different way.

I hear you, but compared to other ticket prices, I really don't think that Rush is out of line. I'm sure you can get lawn seats at an outdoor venue for $40 or so, maybe less at the time on craigslist or something. Granted, not the best "seats," but still, you can get in. When the Rolling Stones, The Who, some of these huge pop stars come, basic tix are often $200. That I don't get.

The days of $20 seats are long gone. Again, I think you give too much lattitude for what the band can contribute to the charges.

Also, let's keep in mind, this is tough work for 60-year old musicians. We cannot expect them to do it out of the goodness of their hearts, they have lives too and even only tour b/c of the fans. At some point, in their shoes, you also have to realize that there's a price that makes it worth it and anything less than that and not so much.

It's easy to sit here and talk about how the band should cut us all a break, but they make sacrifices too. When I'm that old I hope that I don't feel obligated or need to for financial reasons, have to do something as physically stressful and demanding as a tour like that.

I for one would not want to go to a concert at which they felt undercompensated to the extent that it might reflect in their energy level or level of performance and that they were just doing it out of a deflated sense of obligation.

I hear ya though, but I really think that a good chunk of the ticket prices go to other elements besides the band and that they have less control over much of it than we think.

Also, these M & Gs, which I have no interest in, are what cost so much. And rather than tickets in the first 20 rows on the floor, how about within the first three rows on the sides up front? I've never had troubles getting those for relatively reasonable.

In Charlotte for the CAs tour I got tix first row in the first part of the second level, off the floor, directly facing the stage across the arena. Had a fantastic time and sat throughout most of the show, very relaxing, allowed me to focus on the music. It's all a matter of perspective.

I remember a kid in high school telling me about seeing Rush on the Counterparts tour (at this time, I had only listened to Chronicles (stopped at Subdivisions) and RTB) and how the tickets were $80. I worked all summer and had a budget of about $100/month, and I remember thinking that this kid was crazy. But this is capitalism. If people continue to pay the prices, the prices will go up. If not, they'll come down.

It's funny, if I can find them, I think that the stubs to the first concert I went to for Rush was $8.50. We used to go directly to the War Memorial Box Office to save the $1 service charge per ticket.

If this kid from high school was in the front row for a Counterparts show, then it might have been $80 back then. I saw a show on that tour and I was in the first section of arena seating (just barely above floor level, essentially), and it was about $25-30. I'd have to look at my stub, because I don't remember the exact cost. But the vast majority of the seats were in the range that I paid, and not $80.

But that was 21 years ago. Going to a show for $30 or less anymore...well, in the venues like what Rush plays, at least, those days are long gone.

If this kid from high school was in the front row for a Counterparts show, then it might have been $80 back then. I saw a show on that tour and I was in the first section of arena seating (just barely above floor level, essentially), and it was about $25-30. I'd have to look at my stub, because I don't remember the exact cost. But the vast majority of the seats were in the range that I paid, and not $80.

But that was 21 years ago. Going to a show for $30 or less anymore...well, in the venues like what Rush plays, at least, those days are long gone.

When Rush plays the outdoor arenas, I'd rather get on the grass for $45 than any seat that's not in the first 15 rows. And if you buy from a scalper the day of, you can get those tix for cheaper. Of course, you're right that the prices have gone up a ton, I just think that relatively good priced experiences are still available.

• Like 1

When Rush plays the outdoor arenas, I'd rather get on the grass for $45 than any seat that's not in the first 15 rows. And if you buy from a scalper the day of, you can get those tix for cheaper. Of course, you're right that the prices have gone up a ton, I just think that relatively good priced experiences are still available.

Oh, I agree that decent prices are around, depending on what you like to see. I'm a huge proponent of smaller theater shows (capacity between 1500 and about 4000, at the highest) strictly because I think the acoustics are so much better. And I think you can see a great small theater show for between $20 and $40, even today.

But in talking about Rush, we're talking about the larger arenas and so forth- and those are the kinds of venues that have gotten so outrageously expensive.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Oh, I agree that decent prices are around, depending on what you like to see. I'm a huge proponent of smaller these shows (capacity between 1500 and about 4000, at the highest) strictly because I think the acoustics are so much better. And I think you can see a great small theater show for between $20 and $40, even today.

But in talking about Rush, we're talking about the larger arenas and so forth- and those are the kinds of venues that have gotten so outrageously expensive.

Thanks Obama

• Like 1

Did anybody else notice that there's a limit of four tickets this time? Obviously somebody must be trying to do something about the mass buying.

I hear you, but compared to other ticket prices, I really don't think that Rush is out of line. I'm sure you can get lawn seats at an outdoor venue for $40 or so, maybe less at the time on craigslist or something. Granted, not the best "seats," but still, you can get in. When the Rolling Stones, The Who, some of these huge pop stars come, basic tix are often $200. That I don't get.

The days of $20 seats are long gone. Again, I think you give too much lattitude for what the band can contribute to the charges.

Also, let's keep in mind, this is tough work for 60-year old musicians. We cannot expect them to do it out of the goodness of their hearts, they have lives too and even only tour b/c of the fans. At some point, in their shoes, you also have to realize that there's a price that makes it worth it and anything less than that and not so much.

It's easy to sit here and talk about how the band should cut us all a break, but they make sacrifices too. When I'm that old I hope that I don't feel obligated or need to for financial reasons, have to do something as physically stressful and demanding as a tour like that.

I for one would not want to go to a concert at which they felt undercompensated to the extent that it might reflect in their energy level or level of performance and that they were just doing it out of a deflated sense of obligation.

I hear ya though, but I really think that a good chunk of the ticket prices go to other elements besides the band and that they have less control over much of it than we think.

Also, these M & Gs, which I have no interest in, are what cost so much. And rather than tickets in the first 20 rows on the floor, how about within the first three rows on the sides up front? I've never had troubles getting those for relatively reasonable.

In Charlotte for the CAs tour I got tix first row in the first part of the second level, off the floor, directly facing the stage across the arena. Had a fantastic time and sat throughout most of the show, very relaxing, allowed me to focus on the music. It's all a matter of perspective.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but I find your "they're 60 and they can't work out of the goodness of their heart" comment a little silly. It reminds me of Patrick Ewing back in the day trying to justify his 40 million dollar salary by saying, "We need a lot of money because we spend a lot of money."

I have no problem with capitalism. They should get what they can get. They just won't get it from me this time around.

4 None Adult Admissions 122 12 1 - 4 $126.00 $504.00 Sub Total $504.00 Convenience Fee $81.20 Facility Fee $16.00 Amount to be charged to your credit card $601.20

This is what 4 tix toward the back of the arena costs in Denver. 81.20 in CONVEINENCE fees!!! I want to eat a bullet right now!

4 None Adult Admissions 122 12 1 - 4 $126.00 $504.00 Sub Total $504.00 Convenience Fee $81.20 Facility Fee $16.00 Amount to be charged to your credit card $601.20

This is what 4 tix toward the back of the arena costs in Denver. 81.20 in CONVEINENCE fees!!! I want to eat a bullet right now!

Yes, those "convenience fees" drive me nuts too. But I live 200 miles from the box office, and TM knows it :banghead:

Is the internet the only way to purchase tickets these days? Or can you still actually go up to a box office window and buy them? :codger:

You can, but you have to get to the venue box office during their business hours. Since I live 200+ miles from St. Paul, strike that one.

BTW Lorriane, have you found a way to get to a show? I only know that you're in the Northwest somewhere, and that they're playing Portland and Seattle. Is there a bus line that can get you there? That's how I'm getting to St. Paul.

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

Is the internet the only way to purchase tickets these days? Or can you still actually go up to a box office window and buy them? :codger:

You can, but you have to get to the venue box office during their business hours. Since I live 200+ miles from St. Paul, strike that one.

BTW Lorriane, have you found a way to get to a show? I only know that you're in the Northwest somewhere, and that they're playing Portland and Seattle. Is there a bus line that can get you there? That's how I'm getting to St. Paul.

No, I don't think I will be going unless I happen to come into enough money that will enable me to rationalize spending it on Rush. The days of just answering to myself are long gone. I don't think my husband would appreciate hearing But honey, the money for the new mattress and boxspring went on Rush. You'll just have to prop the saggy sections in the mattress up with old blankets. :LOL: